Studebaker Challenger Statistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Challenger Statistics

The Studebaker Challenger was built in only one year-1963 for the 1964 production models. There were only 274 built with a V8 engine. Are these model cars the rarest or should I say the fewest number of cars built by Studebaker?
    THANKS

Challengers

Are you sure that includes all 2 Doors, 4 Doors, Wagons and Wagonaires? That number seems very low for all '64 V-8 Challengers.

My father and then myself used to own Serial #64V19904 Astra White, Challenger 8,
    4 Door Sedan, Body # 648, Engine # VN318.

This car was ordered 12/13/63 and built 12/19/63 VERY close to the end.
    It has the "SOLD RUSH" notation that most Dealer/Cust. ordered cars had.

It seems to have came with the Commander side trim for some reason, and also the circle "S" roof emblem, that should have been a Lark "Bird".
    It also had Power Steering, and I always thought that maybe it was one of those cars that were sold from the excess factory pool stock and modified after production.

The Production order says: 64V-Y2
    Paint 13 P 6411 Astra White
    Trim 14 431 GC (Green Cloth)
    85 Conv Group
    225 Dash Heater (appears to be a standard Climatizer not a cheapie)
    19 Flight-O-Matic
    278 HD 2 IN Foam F Seat Cush. (This has to be the pad used in Taxis or Cruisers)

It was a very interesting car, being that it was built that late, the line # was 9627, factory order #60081, especially since I still own Daytona Sedan 64V1037, the 37th V8 Studebaker built for '64.

The Challenger was sold in 1998 when I moved to Washington.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-02-2011, 05:28 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

274 is the production figure for 64V-F2 models only; Challenger 2-doors.

Wagons and sedans would add to that number. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I seem to remember the number 259 for V8 Challenger Wagonaires. My granddad had one that ended up scrapped.

Comment

At one time I owned a white '64 2dr R1.
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by 00RACER View Post
            Are these model cars the rarest or should I say the fewest number of cars built by Studebaker?
            THANKS
            Not really. There have been many models built through the years with production figures under 274.

You can't get "rarer" than a 1951 Commander Regal Business Coupe (Q1), of which 1 (one) was built. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My dad bought a new one...It was a blue 4-door with a 6 cylinder engine...

Comment

Working...
              X