Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most ridiculous thing you'll see all day. Sunbeam towing Avanti.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the Tiger used the 289; the "real" one, not the far superior Studebaker offer.

As Tom indicated, "loaded car with the trailer brakes stops better than just the Tiger by itself without a trailer."

I can certainly understand that; using the wagon to pull the horses to a stop; been done before.
    But, in the event of an issue with the trailer tires or brakes, I suppose a gyroscope would be invaluable somewhere.
    Last edited by rockne10; 07-24-2011, 03:10 PM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      I really didn't intend for this to turn into a thread about towing safety. Just thought some of you might get a kick out of seeing this rig. Having watched it roll down the interstate for a few miles and talked to Tom about it, it isn't nearly as bad as one might first assume.
      Oh, but it is. Hit one bump at an angle and he'll be all over the road (then off, probably jack knifed). Until now the dumbest towing scenario I've seen was a Jeep Wrangler pulling a trailer, loaded with lumber, longer that the Jeep. Where did I see that? Near Norfolk, VA along side the road jack knifed in to the guard rail. The last time I used my 14-foot tandem axle car trailer was to carry my grandson's Jeep Comanche about 40 miles. On the irregular surface of I-81 I was having a lot of trouble correcting sway. Oh yeah, I was pulling it with my 6,000+ pound Dodge Ram 2500 with a trailer package and one-ton rear springs.
      INHO the ONLY time it's safe to tow with the trailer heavier or longer than the vehicle is when you are towing a fifth wheel type trailer where the tongue weight is centered over the tow vehicle rear axle (and I have quite a few thousand miles experience pulling trailers).
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
        Let's see...most big rigs I see the tractor is a very short wheelbase (relatively) and the loaded trailers greatly outweigh the tractor. Sometimes there's even two trailers being towed! Was a time when some states allowed three trailers. Some countries still do.
        Sort of apples and oranges. The big rigs are called semis for a reason. The trailer is not a full trailer. Its front, along with much weight, rests on the tractor's fifth wheel above the tractor's rear axle.
        I don't know much about tandems other than I have a relative that drives one 300 miles daily. I do know that the second trailer has a sort of dolly that the front of the trailer rests on (a fifth wheel). Neither trailer can be considered a fully independent trailer.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I was towing a Studebaker from Fla to Ga. on some backroads and blew a LF tire on the trailer. I didn't even know anything had happened untill I saw pieces of rubber flying out into on coming traffic in the mirrow. No telling how long the tire had been flat. By the time we stopped there was nothing left but shreads. We had no spare so we took both tires off the front axel and came on home.

But then the tow vehicle was a Chevy 3500 diesel dually.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
            I saw this setup in Lancaster, same person I think.
            Left Lancaster with a Coupe Express on trailer!
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

My rule of thumb...the trailer should never be bigger than the car towing it.

(No, this does NOT apply to semis and HD pickups, i.e. things mean to tow.)
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by 2moredoors View Post
                The Sunbeam has the power its used a Ford 260 V8, later a Chrylser V8 (Sunbeam II). I might worry about braking power as the Sunbeam is not very heavy.
                They always had a Ford engine; the later one being a 289. No Chrysler V8 would fit inside the engine compartment of the Alpine/Tiger body.

Craig

Comment

This reminds me of the unsafe towing story me Dad tells. He and my uncle found a '51 Starlight Coupe in the mid-sixties to turn into the car they would drag race for about eight years or so. They pulled it home with a 15 foot chain - 80 miles - tow vehicle was a '52 hardtop (232/3spOD). This was back when there was not nearly as much traffic on the roads as today - Dad said there was a few times when they were on a long stretch of highway that the Champion's speedometer was reading between 55 and 60...make the above set-up look as safe as watching TV on the sofa...

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    I really didn't intend for this to turn into a thread about towing safety. Just thought some of you might get a kick out of seeing this rig. Having watched it roll down the interstate for a few miles and talked to Tom about it, it isn't nearly as bad as one might first assume.
                    As Paul so rightly said, Matthew, "Oh, but it is...."

Matthew, you are a smart enough cookie that I think you'll accept the following: This is one area where experience counts; experience a yonger person such as yourself couldn't be expected to have acquired unless you'd spent the last five or so years working woth someone in the car business, towing cars all over the countryside.

When you are behind the wheel of a vehicle towing a car trailer and you begin to feel the trailer trying to push the tow vehicle in some way you don't want to go, there are precious few microseconds to react before something terribly bad and irreversible happens. I've been there dozens of times.

At that precise moment, you need everything to your advantage or you are going to be in serious, possibly fatal, trouble. You need WWW, and I don't mean the World Wide Web! Rather, wits, weight, and wheelbase...and the more you have of each, the better. Take away two of them, as the driver of this rig is doing, and you are seriously endangering yourself, your property, and innocent people.

it really is as simple as that. This is a good time to respect age and experience! <GGG> BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                      I was towing a Studebaker from Fla to Ga. on some backroads and blew a LF tire on the trailer. I didn't even know anything had happened untill I saw pieces of rubber flying out into on coming traffic in the mirrow. No telling how long the tire had been flat. By the time we stopped there was nothing left but shreads. We had no spare so we took both tires off the front axel and came on home.

But then the tow vehicle was a Chevy 3500 diesel dually.
                      There you have it. Neil had so much weight and wheelbase that the tow vehicle could drag the trailer along with a dead tire and not even know it. I believe him, and it is testimony to what Bobs A & P have been saying. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The original Tiger had the 260 CI Ford engine, the mark 2, (think thats right) had the 289 Ford engine.....They would NEVER had stuffed the 289 Stude engine in that little thing...LOL.........Keep on Studebakering

Comment

I was pulling a U haul trailer with a 56J on it behind a Ford F-150 and damn near lost it when the load decided to start fish tailing. No way in hell that little car could recover from that. I guess you could tow like that for years, only to end up in a ditch if the load took charge.
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

There are several mods to the car and trailer including a rather unique braking and load control system. The driver is a helicopter pilot and let me just say those guys are used to using both hands and both feet just to stay in one spot. His system on the car works for him, but I wouldn't want to try to learn it. There is a lot more to this setup than meets the eye. But if I needed both vehicles in one location, I'd have to buy a two car trailer and pull it with the dually.
                            Jim
                            Often in error, never in doubt
                            http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                              Oh, but it is. Hit one bump at an angle and he'll be all over the road (then off, probably jack knifed). Until now the dumbest towing scenario I've seen was a Jeep Wrangler pulling a trailer, loaded with lumber, longer that the Jeep. Where did I see that? Near Norfolk, VA along side the road jack knifed in to the guard rail.
                              Right-o, Paul. You could make a good horror movie with all the big trailers people try to pull behind Jeep Wranglers. 'Nothing wrong with Jeep Wranglers (I helped my daughter buy a new one when she graduated from Purdue), but they are only safe pulling short, single-axle utility trailers for short distances at low speeds. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

The early Sunbeam Tigers used a Ford 260 but when the Mark II Tiger came out it was changed to a Ford 289. Funny thing was also that Chrysler had bought the Rootes group at that time so those Mark II Tigers were warrantied by Chrysler with the pentastar on the r/f fender but a Ford under the hood. They also used the top loader 4 speed.
                                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                                64 Zip Van
                                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                                X