Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most ridiculous thing you'll see all day. Sunbeam towing Avanti.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most ridiculous thing you'll see all day. Sunbeam towing Avanti.

In case the video doesn't work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z99ouA0B65Y

Kind of like the tail wagging the dog! I saw this setup in Lancaster, same person I think. I don't know how he gets away with it but he does.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

The Sunbeam has the power its used a Ford 260 V8, later a Chrylser V8 (Sunbeam II). I might worry about braking power as the Sunbeam is not very heavy.
      sigpic
      55 President Deluxe
      64 Commander
      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

I'm no expert but I can't believe that could be legal, is it? Looks like way too much of a load to be towing.

Comment

Yep, same guy. That's Tom Ehrhardt's rig. He volunteers at the AACA Museum, and the video was shot as Jim McCuan and I were following him from a British car show in Hershey to the Museum. It was rather comical to be behind him and not see a tow vehicle in front of the Avanti..

Tom knows what he's doing. The car does have the Ford 260 and it is pretty fast. He was telling us how he has it all set up, and it's about as nice and overbuilt as you could imagine. For stopping he said a loaded car with the trailer brakes stops better than just the Tiger by itself without a trailer.
          Last edited by mbstude; 07-24-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Very cool..... He can just drive it into my long driveway and leave the whole thing there.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
              Very cool..... He can just drive it into my long driveway and leave the whole thing there.
              Well.. The Tiger with the trailer is for sale.

Comment

Up here in Canada (should say Ontario), you would even get away with towing the trailer empty with that car !
                Actually that trailer and car wouldn't be legal behind a 1/2 ton pickup unless you have extra lic on the truck
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

It's not only the most ridiculous thing I've seen all day, but I'd better not post what else it is.

You need more than power to safely pull what is at least a 6,000-pound load. That is a steel-frame trailer (not aluminum) and probably weighs more than mine...and mine is about 1,900 pounds empty.

The towed load, there, I am certain is over three tons. Towing it with that vehicle is grossly unsafe. This is the voice of considerable experience speaking as I have owned a car trailer of that size exactly 35 years and towed hundreds of cars and trucks and vans thousands upon thousands of miles with, and don't think I'm not grateful for it, no accidents of any kind.

However, I've been in enough situations, especially towing The Stude Tomato for Ted Harbit through the mountains to the Charlotte NC 2004 SDC National Meet, that I know there are times when you need wheelbase and weight to control that tail back there when it decides it wants to wag the dog. All the "adequate power" in the world will not control a trailer when the RR trailer tire picks up a nail along the right edge of the pavement, where those right tires necessarily travel, and gets soft enough to blow out before anyone notices it's soft.

Not to offend anyone, but I'd rather offend someone that see that whole Tiger/Avanti rig at the bottom of a ravine somewhere, having just taken out a family in their van on its way across an oncoming lane.

The scene depicted will send chills through the spine of anyone who has ever towed a loaded car trailer more than around the block. Wholly inadvisable and terribly dangerous. No more adequate words to describe it, period. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Lol! Now where are the guys that got the vapors over me towing Larks on a tow dolly behind a heavy 3/4 ton Conversion Van?? They must be popping hernias right now<GG>

I would never do this one because some of the keys to safe towing are wheelbase length and tow vehicle weight. Not that you can't tow along- this matters when TROUBLE happens. Good brakes are only one part, and in an evasive maneuver don't help much.

My next dolly will have brakes, but they're not critical when your tow vehicle is big and heavy, since a truck like that comes factory with lots of stopping power.

The above setup gets huge style points from me; but safety- not so much.
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                      Lol! Now where are the guys that got the vapors over me towing Larks on a tow dolly behind a heavy 3/4 ton Conversion Van?? They must be popping hernias right now<GG>
                      I'm right here, Bob, but my hernia is in fine shape since you agree with me on weight and wheelbase! <GGG> BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob- I give you my word that I started my post on my iPhone well before I saw yours. Otherwise I might be accused of copying you

Dead-on: wheelbase and weight.

Years towing with dolly: 20+
                        Miles towing dolly: estimated 50k
                        Accidents: Zero
                        Injuries: Zero
                        Property Damage Loss (in U.S. Dollars): Zero
                        Last edited by Bob Andrews; 07-24-2011, 02:25 PM.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I really didn't intend for this to turn into a thread about towing safety. Just thought some of you might get a kick out of seeing this rig. Having watched it roll down the interstate for a few miles and talked to Tom about it, it isn't nearly as bad as one might first assume.

Comment

Reminds me of going to Connecticut with a friend to tow bar a 1956 Golden Hawk back to NYS with a Corvair. It equalled major tail wagging the dog syndrome. We made it, but neither of us did it again.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Let's see...most big rigs I see the tractor is a very short wheelbase (relatively) and the loaded trailers greatly outweigh the tractor. Sometimes there's even two trailers being towed! Was a time when some states allowed three trailers. Some countries still do.
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X