• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Originally posted by Gone Autos View Post
    Stu,

It would be great if all of us in the hobby could agree on a hard and fast definition of an orphan. I don't think there are any fixed criteria for an orphan.

I say an orphan becomes one the second its brand or manufacturer ceases to exist. You say wait seven years. Paul Leske (above) says nope, recently deceased brands are not orphans no way, no how.

There's no objective right and wrong. Only what we agree upon. So what do we agree on?
    I have no problem with an automobile no longer in production as being classified as an orphan. I had only heard about the 7 year factor from a few people but I have no idea if that has general acceptance. So lets just agree that a car becomes an orphan when production is halted.
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• Welcome
    replied
    Originally posted by Gone Autos View Post
    >>>However, I'm not sure about Hummer. I thought that the Chinese bought that brand and had decided to continue manufacturing it. (Do I need an update on that?)

----Todd Ruel
    AM General is still building their "original" HUMMER in the South Bend area, but now they refer to it only as their HUMVEE.

Leave a comment:

• Gone Autos
    replied
    Hey, Studebaker fans.

Todd Ruel here with a quick message.

Back on July 22nd, I published the podcast featuring Stu Chapman explaining the Studebaker comedy record All Canadian Car.

I've been producing podcasts for several years, and I often get requests for transcripts, especially from the hearing-impaired.

Happy to report that I just published a transcript for the podcast with Stu. If you need it, please get it here.

Leave a comment:

• Gone Autos
    replied
    Stu,

It would be great if all of us in the hobby could agree on a hard and fast definition of an orphan. I don't think there are any fixed criteria for an orphan.

I say an orphan becomes one the second its brand or manufacturer ceases to exist. You say wait seven years. Paul Leske (above) says nope, recently deceased brands are not orphans no way, no how.

There's no objective right and wrong. Only what we agree upon. So what do we agree on?

Leave a comment:

• Gone Autos
    replied
    Sorry, Paul.

I happen to believe that Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and Mercurys are orphans. So are Plymouths. My definition of an orphan is a car whose manufacturer or brand is no longer in business. The brands mentioned above joined the Gone Autos garage the day their manufacturers stopped building them. But if they suddenly started being manufactured again, then they would no longer be orphans. This is just my interpretation and is totally up for discussion.

However, I'm not sure about Hummer. I thought that the Chinese bought that brand and had decided to continue manufacturing it. (Do I need an update on that?)

----Todd Ruel

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    After talking with a few automobile industry friends, there seems to be general agreement that a car is not an orphan car until it has been out of production for at least seven years. Any other opinions?
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• Tahiti Coral
    replied
    Hey Todd,

Since you run an orphan cars website, can you please tell some of the folks on this board that Oldmobiles, Pontiacs, Saturns, Hummers & Mercurys are NOT orphan cars???

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Stu Chapman
    replied
    Bernie Faloney was the all-star quarterback for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the Canadian Football League during the time that Studebaker manufacturing was transferred from South Bend to Hamilton. When he retired he founded a great steakhouse in Hamilton. Bernie is now deceased unfortunately. Any other questions regarding the people in this spoof?
    Stu Chapman

Leave a comment:

• Gone Autos
    replied
    Who was...

Hi, Studey fans.

Todd Ruel, the podcast producer, here.

Quick question for all of you Studebaker Canada experts. In my podcast, there's one joke that I didn't ask Stu Chapman about.

Who was Bernie Faloney? (The joke occurs at 2:40 in the podcast.)

Any insight would be appreciated. And THANK YOU, Studey fans, for listening to the podcast. I appreciate you stopping by the Gone Autos web site and checking it out!

---Todd Ruel
    www.goneautos.com

Leave a comment:

• Gone Autos
    replied
    Thanks, Stephen.

I appreciate it. See my reply to Howard above. Would Studey fans listen to a podcast like that? (Imagine more podcasts like this where you get a vintage piece of Studebaker audio with a detailed explanation from an expert who explains why it was made. Maybe it's just me, but I would listen to stuff like that all day long.)

Take care! ----Todd Ruel

Leave a comment:

• 55coupe
    replied
    Hello Todd Yes I did listen very nice that you would share this find with the form members. Thank you I got a big kick out of it. Stephen Rainville

Leave a comment:

• FlatheadGeo
    replied
    Todd,

Check your notifications, I sent you a private message!

Leave a comment:

• Gone Autos
    replied
    Hi, Howard!

Thanks for hanging in there. I thought "Studebaker comedy record" was just weird enough to be a good hook, whether it turned out to be funny or not.

To answer your question, YES! I collect orphan car audiovisual media, and I have some rare, rare stuff. Check out one of my YouTube channels. Username: promotodd. You'll see a vintage 1953 Studebaker TV commercial.

And here's a topic for another Studebaker-themed podcast. A few years ago, I acquired a 1962 metal acetate recording of Lou Minkel giving a speech to the dealers at some banquet or meeting. (I'm always amazed that historical stuff like this survives, but there it is!)

I'd love to get Richard Quinn and/or Bob Palma as guests on that podcast and have them share their thoughts and insights about this speech and help to give it some kind of historical perspective to listeners who aren't as Studesavvy as you are. Do you think think one or both of those guys would do that?

I think podcasts are a great way to spread the word about Studebaker and other orphan marques to a younger audience that isn't so interested in reading long text-and-picture articles.

What do you think, Howard?

----Todd Ruel
    Top Wrench, Gone Autos: Tools for Living the Orphan Car Life
    www.goneautos.com

----Todd Ruel

Leave a comment:

• brngarage
    replied
    Hi Todd:
    I found it more interesting than amusing, but enjoyable. Do you have any other Studebaker stuff?

Leave a comment:

• Gone Autos
    replied
    Any feedback?

Hey, Studebaker fans.

Todd Ruel of Gone Autos here. Besides Warren Webb, did anyone else check out the podcast featuring Stu Chapman? (I know some of you did. Google Analytics does not lie.)

What did you think? More like this? Less? Do you like car-themed podcasts like this in general?

Any feedback helps me make better stuff for you.

Thanks! ---Todd

Leave a comment:

Working...
X