Free podcast about Studebaker's comedy record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Todd,

Since you run an orphan cars website, can you please tell some of the folks on this board that Oldmobiles, Pontiacs, Saturns, Hummers & Mercurys are NOT orphan cars???

Thanks.

Comment

After talking with a few automobile industry friends, there seems to be general agreement that a car is not an orphan car until it has been out of production for at least seven years. Any other opinions?
      Stu Chapman

Comment

Sorry, Paul.

I happen to believe that Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and Mercurys are orphans. So are Plymouths. My definition of an orphan is a car whose manufacturer or brand is no longer in business. The brands mentioned above joined the Gone Autos garage the day their manufacturers stopped building them. But if they suddenly started being manufactured again, then they would no longer be orphans. This is just my interpretation and is totally up for discussion.

However, I'm not sure about Hummer. I thought that the Chinese bought that brand and had decided to continue manufacturing it. (Do I need an update on that?)

----Todd Ruel

Comment

Stu,

It would be great if all of us in the hobby could agree on a hard and fast definition of an orphan. I don't think there are any fixed criteria for an orphan.

I say an orphan becomes one the second its brand or manufacturer ceases to exist. You say wait seven years. Paul Leske (above) says nope, recently deceased brands are not orphans no way, no how.

There's no objective right and wrong. Only what we agree upon. So what do we agree on?

Comment

Hey, Studebaker fans.

Todd Ruel here with a quick message.

Back on July 22nd, I published the podcast featuring Stu Chapman explaining the Studebaker comedy record All Canadian Car.

I've been producing podcasts for several years, and I often get requests for transcripts, especially from the hearing-impaired.

Happy to report that I just published a transcript for the podcast with Stu. If you need it, please get it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone Autos View Post
              >>>However, I'm not sure about Hummer. I thought that the Chinese bought that brand and had decided to continue manufacturing it. (Do I need an update on that?)

----Todd Ruel
              AM General is still building their "original" HUMMER in the South Bend area, but now they refer to it only as their HUMVEE.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone Autos View Post
                Stu,

It would be great if all of us in the hobby could agree on a hard and fast definition of an orphan. I don't think there are any fixed criteria for an orphan.

I say an orphan becomes one the second its brand or manufacturer ceases to exist. You say wait seven years. Paul Leske (above) says nope, recently deceased brands are not orphans no way, no how.

There's no objective right and wrong. Only what we agree upon. So what do we agree on?
                I have no problem with an automobile no longer in production as being classified as an orphan. I had only heard about the 7 year factor from a few people but I have no idea if that has general acceptance. So lets just agree that a car becomes an orphan when production is halted.
                Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                X