Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free podcast about Studebaker's comedy record

Hi, folks.

My name is Todd Ruel, and I run a web site called Gone Autos. It's devoted exclusively to orphan cars.

I just published a podcast featuring Stu Chapman, Studebaker's last Director of Advertising and Promotion.

Some of you might be aware that Studebaker Canada released a dealer-only comedy record in Late 1964. I recently acquired one of these 45rpm's and digitally restored it.

I had a lot of questions about it, so I called up Stu and asked if he would help to explain it.

The podcast features the entire comedy sketch plus Stu's thoughts about it. I felt Studebaker fans would enjoy it, so I hope you'll take a listen.

Check it out on the Gone Autos Podcasts page or download it to your iPod through iTunes.

If you love it/hate it, please leave me some feedback either on the Gone Autos blog page or through iTunes or through the Gone Autos Facebook page. I'd love to get your feedback and suggestions.

---Todd Ruel
    Top Wrench, Gone Autos: Tools for Living the Orphan Car Life

P.S. Studebacon t-shirts also available!

Is there a site that one could listen to it? I dont have anything that carries I-Tunes or a podcast as such, but it would be nice to have a good old website to listen to!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

It's easy to get the podcast.

Warren,

Thanks for writing. It's easy to listen to the podcast. Just go to the Gone Autos Podcast page (http://www.goneautos.com/Podcasts/podcasts.html).

The podcast is listed at the very top under the heading "Gone Autos Podcasts."

Click on the link called "Listen to the audio-only version here." That's an MP3 file, and virtually every web browser in the world can play one of these files.

I hope that helps! If not, tell me, and I'll try to be more helpful! ----Todd Ruel

Comment

Listen to the audio-only version here. Does not play.

Listen to the video-enhanced version here. Does not play.

No workee Todd.
        sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
        Bubbaland South
        Resident Machinist

Comment

Audio is playing now after trying 3 times.

Thanks for posting this Todd.
          sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
          Bubbaland South
          Resident Machinist

Comment

ROFL!! I got it going!! I never thought of the grille of a 64 resembling a beaver! Thanks Todd for posting & let me great you too with a belated Welcome to our Forum!
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks, Warren!

Yep,

You have to wait a minute for the audio to download to your machine. Once you have 30 seconds of it, the audio will start to stream, and the player will start to play.

Patience, my young padawans. Patience.

Thanks for your feedback, Warren. I'm not a Studebaker expert like all of you here, but when I come across rare audiovisual collectibles like this record, I try to find answers about why they were created.

That's why I called up Stu Chapman. I thought it was great to have somebody who was there explain what and why the record was made.

Plus, I really like talking to experts and getting them to share their insights. Maybe I can get Richard Quinn someday? Maybe? Hint?

If you have anymore problems trying to listen to the audio file, I'm here to help. I'm here, too: todd@goneautos.com.

Enjoy! -----Todd Ruel

Comment

Any feedback?

Hey, Studebaker fans.

Todd Ruel of Gone Autos here. Besides Warren Webb, did anyone else check out the podcast featuring Stu Chapman? (I know some of you did. Google Analytics does not lie.)

What did you think? More like this? Less? Do you like car-themed podcasts like this in general?

Any feedback helps me make better stuff for you.

Thanks! ---Todd

Comment

Hi Todd:
                  I found it more interesting than amusing, but enjoyable. Do you have any other Studebaker stuff?
                  Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
                  '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
                  '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
                  '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

Comment

Hi, Howard!

Thanks for hanging in there. I thought "Studebaker comedy record" was just weird enough to be a good hook, whether it turned out to be funny or not.

To answer your question, YES! I collect orphan car audiovisual media, and I have some rare, rare stuff. Check out one of my YouTube channels. Username: promotodd. You'll see a vintage 1953 Studebaker TV commercial.

And here's a topic for another Studebaker-themed podcast. A few years ago, I acquired a 1962 metal acetate recording of Lou Minkel giving a speech to the dealers at some banquet or meeting. (I'm always amazed that historical stuff like this survives, but there it is!)

I'd love to get Richard Quinn and/or Bob Palma as guests on that podcast and have them share their thoughts and insights about this speech and help to give it some kind of historical perspective to listeners who aren't as Studesavvy as you are. Do you think think one or both of those guys would do that?

I think podcasts are a great way to spread the word about Studebaker and other orphan marques to a younger audience that isn't so interested in reading long text-and-picture articles.

What do you think, Howard?

----Todd Ruel
                    Top Wrench, Gone Autos: Tools for Living the Orphan Car Life
                    www.goneautos.com

----Todd Ruel

Comment

Todd,

Check your notifications, I sent you a private message!
                      1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Hello Todd Yes I did listen very nice that you would share this find with the form members. Thank you I got a big kick out of it. Stephen Rainville

Comment

Thanks, Stephen.

I appreciate it. See my reply to Howard above. Would Studey fans listen to a podcast like that? (Imagine more podcasts like this where you get a vintage piece of Studebaker audio with a detailed explanation from an expert who explains why it was made. Maybe it's just me, but I would listen to stuff like that all day long.)

Take care! ----Todd Ruel

Comment

Who was...

Hi, Studey fans.

Todd Ruel, the podcast producer, here.

Quick question for all of you Studebaker Canada experts. In my podcast, there's one joke that I didn't ask Stu Chapman about.

Who was Bernie Faloney? (The joke occurs at 2:40 in the podcast.)

Any insight would be appreciated. And THANK YOU, Studey fans, for listening to the podcast. I appreciate you stopping by the Gone Autos web site and checking it out!

---Todd Ruel
                            www.goneautos.com

Comment

Bernie Faloney was the all-star quarterback for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats in the Canadian Football League during the time that Studebaker manufacturing was transferred from South Bend to Hamilton. When he retired he founded a great steakhouse in Hamilton. Bernie is now deceased unfortunately. Any other questions regarding the people in this spoof?
                              Stu Chapman

Comment

Working...
                              X