No announcement yet.

1950 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You need to get a hold of Brain. He is 19 years old and is doing the same car as you. He is in Reno. They plan on visiting me in Camino which is called Apple Hill. Keep the faith.

Comment

Check out the Karel Staple club web site at www.hawktalks.com. We are the local club for you and we have a plethera of members that possess the knowledge you seek.

Come to one of our meetings - you don't need to bring a Studebaker. Our next meeting is in Napa on Sunday the 21st. There is a schedule of meetings listed on our website if that one is too far away. We would love to get to know you and help you out with your project.

BTW, we won't judge you for what you want to do with your car. Restore, rat rod, custom, whatever. As long as you drive it.
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Straps,

Welcome. I have a deep love for the 1950 Bulletnose. Just finished a Champion restoration as a Fire Car last year. Email me if you have any questions. I converted it to 12 volt and put a number of accessories on it, including AC. Pictures are in my profile.

Good Luck with yours,

Steve
        sigpicStude Steve

Comment

The late Bill Albright had a formula for restoring cars, he always said " make 'em stop, then make 'em run, then make 'em purdy"! That's good advice from where I stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
            Two Speed transmission? Ah, its actually a 3 speed if it is an automatic. Studebaker had this weird idea with its automatic (1950 onwards), that for big cars with a big engine, either the Commander big six, or the V8 from 1951 onwards, it would start in second gear, unless you manually selected "L", or floored it from a stop. The smaller six cars had all three gears on tap, because, well, the engine was weaker. The idea was to save gas most of the time. I think, although I would have to check, that the Big Six and the V8 that replaced in 1951, had the same horsepower, 120 hp. Later on they got inventive with the (same block) V8 engine, and the displacement went from 232 down to 224, up to 259, then 289, (and finally 304) Power from the factory went from 120 all the way to 275 (2 bbl, 4 bbl, high out put, and supercharged) although there were some rare engines which were over 300 hp too.

That automatic that Studebaker used 1950-55 is a Detroit Gear division of Borg Warner product, and is quite advanced for its time...it is still pretty competent compared to modern cars. Air flow cooled, it could stand higher heat than the competition without special modifications for cooling. Solenoids to prevent accidental selection of say reverse or low when you are moving at speed, and it locked up with a clutch in top gear for better highway mileage. Lots of other makes such as Jaguar used this automatic as well. 1956 and after they used a Borg-Warner transmission version that AMC and Ford also used, without as many bells and whistles. You should Google it or look it up in Wikipedia.

Your car, your choice, but I'd suggest you do the engine and transmission dead last. You definitely don't want to get buried in a project when you are unfamiliar with Studebakers. Get it running, redo the entire braking system with new lines, cylinders etc, linings redone etc, redo the interior to your liking and make it a safe and smooth running car. With that big flathead six, it will be a smooth running beast, (and it has about the same power as a Ford Flathead) and the brakes in a Land Cruiser were better than some of their smaller offerings. Not power, but really not necessary if properly adjusted, and you won't outrun the brakes with the original power plant. If you up the power by changing power plants, you will have to investigate complete changes to the braking etc.

Because the (and 1950 model year in particular for all models of Studebaker, because it is a 'one-year only' design in several different ways) Land Cruiser is unique, including the sheet metal but also the suspension and brakes, there may be just a few more things to deal with than say if you were upgrading a 51 or later Champion 6 or Commander V8 or Land Cruiser V8 Studebaker. You might find that there are less headaches if you trade with someone for a 51 V8 car. Engine upgrades would be a direct bolt in, in most cases, with doable modifications to linkage and so forth. Even changing over to 12 volt would be easy, as Studebaker did that in 56. Same engine block...
            That is so interesting. I as well, just assumed the trans in my 50 was a two speed. So in drive, it basically IS a two speed, but just because it starts in 2nd gear -- and then you have 1st (or low) for slippery roads or what have you.
            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
            Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission
            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
              That is so interesting. I as well, just assumed the trans in my 50 was a two speed. So in drive, it basically IS a two speed, but just because it starts in 2nd gear -- and then you have 1st (or low) for slippery roads or what have you.
              I can't imagine why you would want "...1st (or low) for slippery roads...". That will only give you more wheel/tire slippage and less control. You are better off with the second gear start for slippery conditions. Low is good for quicker take off on dry pavement and for pulling a load or starting out on a steep incline.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Whups, sorry I did get that backwards didn't I? 1st would NOT be good for slippery roads.
                sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                Regal Deluxe Trim
                Automatic transmission
                46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

To: "Straps",-----You have an 'end of the line' car there..........The '50 Commander/Land Cruiser........Last of the 'BIG' Studebakers!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    To: "Straps",-----You have an 'end of the line' car there..........The '50 Commander/Land Cruiser........Last of the 'BIG' Studebakers!
                    I agree with you on the 1950 Land Cruiser (124 inch wb). The 1950 Commander 5 pass. coupe (Starlight) is on a 120 inch wb, no longer than the 120.5 inch wb used on later sedans, like my 1957 President Classic. I don't have the overall lengths in my head - that may make the Starlight longer, but maybe not. The Classic is 206.5 inches long.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                    X