Supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharger

Has anyone put a supercharger on a flat 6 ( 55 Champion ). I am interested.

Originally posted by Muleman100 View Post
    Has anyone put a supercharger on a flat 6 ( 55 Champion ). I am interested.
    It's been done, as has turbocharging. I know Sal did a CASO turbo for example. A blower on a flat head six was a factory setup for some Kaiser's as you well know. The problem as I see it, is the blower setup would cost more than a V8 swap and give less power.It is however, cooler looking.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

For turbocharging, here's info on Greg Meyer's Turbo-Stude:
      http://www.turbostude.com/

Surely someone sometime has put a VS57 from a Kaiser onto a Stude six. I'd think the Commander 6 would be a decent candidate.
      sigpic
      Bob Shaw
      Rush City, Minnesota
      1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
      "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

I have looked at the VS57 and think I could adapt it to the 6. I just don't have one. JDP, I have already ruled out the V8 swap, especially the Chevy SB . I want to do something that would be different. I have already bought a finned aluminum head from Phillip Harris. Was thinking of dual carbs or a workable super charger. I heard the Kaiser doesn't put out real high pressure which would be more suitable for the 6.

Comment

As usual, JDP nailed it.
          The problem as I see it, is the blower setup would cost more than a V8 swap and give less power.
          Yes, it's been done several times.

No, it is just eye candy. Makes no sense economically or performance benefit. The Champion is too small and the Commander six is an eighty-year-old design, too slow turning to ever make any significant horsepower.

Maybe, decide what are your goals. Is it going to be a show car? There've been several spectacular looking Champion engines and one or two Commanders built up. Maybe because of the rarity, illogic and wretched excess of that much money for that little horsepower, the shiny sixes get more attention at shows than an R3 clone with three times the horsepower or a BrandX swap with four times the horsepower for the same money.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

It definetly will not be a show car but a cruiser. I want something different and will probably not add a supercharger since I don't have that expertise. I do want some additional horse power out of the little engine. Not sure what type of pistons I will use with the new head but the dual carb set up will help. I will consider any suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Muleman100 View Post
              It definetly will not be a show car but a cruiser. I want something different and will probably not add a supercharger since I don't have that expertise. I do want some additional horse power out of the little engine. Not sure what type of pistons I will use with the new head but the dual carb set up will help. I will consider any suggestions.
              My suggestions - increase the compression ratio a bit by milling the original head or buying an aftermarket head, improve the fuel intake with an adapter to use a larger modern carb., improve the exhaust with a split manifold/dual system and perhaps go to an electronic ignition system.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
              X