Drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive?

I just DROVE to and from the Gettysburg meet. I have owned my Hawk since 1979 and in the day drove it to work etc. In 2003 it was a basket case because I loved to drive it. I have continually restored it over the years from 2003 (floors falling through) to present (on the road in 2006 - to a 2nd at Gettysburg). So now I am SOOOO careful with it I almost forgot how much fun it used to be to just DRIVE IT. Well anyway driving to and from Gettysburg rekinkled, so to speak, that feeling. Yes I was worried, concerned and maybe even down right scared, but it was a venture well worth the risk. I say DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE. I forgot how good it feels.

Way to go! Purchase another Hawk as the daily workhorse and that should cure that condition !
    Tom
    sigpic

Comment

Jim - I am glad that you made it home. You sure sounded worried about it on Saturday night.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gary, you know what it was...? Driving there I was reviewing things in my mind I did to prepare the car and suddenly I thought I should have changed the thermostat, so of course that became my obsession. In hindsight (which we know is 20/20 everything was great. It ran like a top all the way there and home.

On a different note it was nice to meet you and the wife I enjoyed the chat. I read your other post about stuffed bunnies being given away in the 70's. So let me ask you, being as old as you are, when you heard Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was it as good as they say?

Comment

Originally posted by jg61hawk View Post
          Gary, you know what it was...? Driving there I was reviewing things in my mind I did to prepare the car and suddenly I thought I should have changed the thermostat, so of course that became my obsession. In hindsight (which we know is 20/20 everything was great. It ran like a top all the way there and home.

On a different note it was nice to meet you and the wife I enjoyed the chat. I read your other post about stuffed bunnies being given away in the 70's. So let me ask you, being as old as you are, when you heard Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was it as good as they say?
          Thanks for the laugh. Now that I have met you, I can understand your posts better. I think that happens to all of us. People that don't know me often read something different into my posts than what I meant.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by jg61hawk View Post
            I just DROVE to and from the Gettysburg meet. I have owned my Hawk since 1979 and in the day drove it to work etc. In 2003 it was a basket case because I loved to drive it. I have continually restored it over the years from 2003 (floors falling through) to present (on the road in 2006 - to a 2nd at Gettysburg). So now I am SOOOO careful with it I almost forgot how much fun it used to be to just DRIVE IT. Well anyway driving to and from Gettysburg rekinkled, so to speak, that feeling. Yes I was worried, concerned and maybe even down right scared, but it was a venture well worth the risk. I say DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE. I forgot how good it feels.
            I too bought my 57 Hawk in 1979. My kids grew up with it. I love to drive it, so it will probably never be a show car. I have restored it to "Good Driver" status twice and it's about ready for the third time. People find it hard to believe that I have owned one car for 32 years.

I gave my daughter a 63 Daytona in 1985 to drive to school. It's still here, but it's in so many pieces, I don't know if I will live long enough to get it back togather.

I gave my son a 51 Starlight in 1986. HE is still driving it. His Honda broke down and he drove his Studebaker to work a few days last week.

I fully agree... Drive...Drive...Drive !! NT
            Neil Thornton

Comment

I'll drive it (one day)

I will, I will. But give me some time. I don't think I'll make it before the Drive Your Studebaker Day
              The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

Hey, Kees, just put a bucket upside-down on the crossmember and drive!! Who needs a body?

Comment

I drove my '76 Avanti (acquired Jan '11) to Gettysburg and back (1400 mi. round trip), thoroughly enjoying the experience. Comments from some people at rest stops were priceless.
                  sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Hey KJ I'll say this...I rarely worked more than 3 hours at a time on my car but S-L-O-W-L-Y it came together. A good rule of thumb is put in 1,000 hours and you'll be done enough to stand back and say WOW I came far. I tell every Stude guy /gal I meet that it is simply a matter of time, effort, and yes some cash BUT REALLY TIME.

Comment

Thanks Jim, in the mean time I'll drive my tiny TR7 if I can find it. The slightly overpowered litlle bugger, although not as impressive as a Studebaker, is also fun to drive.
                      The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Comment

I love to drive our 53. So far over 20,000 miles since I got it. Last summer drove it to the La Palma meet and on to Glendale for the International. That was a 2000 mile trip, next summer we are planning to drive it to South Bend, that will be 2,000 miles each way! Can't wait!

Pat
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                        X