Taxi cab carburetors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxi cab carburetors

I heard somewhere that Studebaker offered two different kinds of carburetors (probably carters) in 1958 for standard driving and a special one for use on 6 powered taxi cabs. What exactly is the difference between these carbs? I also heard that these taxi cab kits were designed to prevent vapor locking on heavily used engines.

Just looking for more info...
    Chris Dresbach

I bet the taxi carb is just a bigger float bowl and accelerator pump.
    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
    Lizella, GA

Comment

Really now...do you think if Studebaker had solved the vapor lock problems that plagued nearly all the builders of autos back in the day...they would have offered it only to a few fleet taxi buyers and held it back from their loyal customer base?

I have been surprised by many things, and if this is true, I will really be surprised!
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Nothing special about the taxi carbs. that I know of. They are basically just the Scotsman carb. with a manual choke.
        "Burning Bridges...Lost Forevermore"......

Comment

Do they perhaps have a governor (or is that governer?)?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Speaking of vapor lock, i was talking to a pretty knowledgeable carb/fuel guy today and he told me that he has solved a lot of vapor lock problems by adding fuel stabilizer to the fuel tank. He uses mostly Sta-Bil.
            His reasoning for this is that most fuel producers are making fuel that is to be used under pressure (fuel injection). The formulation of todays fuel is not made to sit in a fuel bowl, therefore it is very easily boiled away during extended idle and hot soak. I'm gonna try it since it will be 100 degrees here by the end of the week. All of my carbureted cars hate hot weather, including my brand x.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
              I heard somewhere that Studebaker offered two different kinds of carburetors (probably carters) in 1958 for standard driving and a special one for use on 6 powered taxi cabs. What exactly is the difference between these carbs? I also heard that these taxi cab kits were designed to prevent vapor locking on heavily used engines.

Just looking for more info...
              me too, i believe they don't have any difference. but added to that, both of them are designed to prevent vapor.

regards,

darren
              ================================

"always use genuine carburetors for your car"
              Last edited by bencomodarren; 08-22-2011, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X