How to ship a trans.??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to ship a trans.??

Carl Purdy (ST2DE5) has graciously offered to send me a trans. for Molly; any ideas on the best way to pack and ship it?

My thought was to drain oil, wrap completely with stretch wrap, then wrap with cardboard around the main body, then more stretch wrap...

I know UPS would take it; what do you all know about Greyhound and other?

Am of course anxiuos to get Molly back on the road and ready for SB[^]

Thanks in advance for your help!

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Sounds like you have the right idea, no freight company will take anything thats leaking fluids of any kind. it will have to be drained and sealed tight, since we all know a empty tranny will always find one drop to drip. If the tranny weighs less than 70 pounds I'm guessing UPS would be the fastest least price way to go.

Randy_G
    1959 Lark Sedan
    www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

Sounds like you have the right idea, no freight company will take anything thats leaking fluids of any kind. it will have to be drained and sealed tight, since we all know a empty tranny will always find one drop to drip. If the tranny weighs less than 70 pounds I'm guessing UPS would be the fastest least price way to go.

Randy_G
      1959 Lark Sedan
      www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com

Comment

I'd wrap it, as others have suggested, but I would also recommend you strap it or bolt it to a strong piece of plywood, and provide wooden blocks to support the input shaft and tailshaft housing. You want to as sure as you can that if it is dropped, that it can't land on a fragile part and get broken.

If you don't take these precautions, you may not be able to make a claim against the carrier if it arrives broken.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I'd wrap it, as others have suggested, but I would also recommend you strap it or bolt it to a strong piece of plywood, and provide wooden blocks to support the input shaft and tailshaft housing. You want to as sure as you can that if it is dropped, that it can't land on a fragile part and get broken.

If you don't take these precautions, you may not be able to make a claim against the carrier if it arrives broken.

Comment

BAMS,

Another option is to go to yesterdaystractors.com and place a post on the hauling schedule board. As it is a small item you may be able to find someone coming your way.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

BAMS,

Another option is to go to yesterdaystractors.com and place a post on the hauling schedule board. As it is a small item you may be able to find someone coming your way.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I shipped an automatic once by setting it on a small pallet, then going to a local lumber yard and having them secure it to the pallet with their strapping machine. I then dropped it off at the local shipping terminal. Worked slick.

For a standard trans, check out those large plastic "tupperware" type tubs. They're cheap, come in a variety of sizes and shapes and there won't be any roblem with leaking fluids.

Steve Hudson
                The Dalles, Oregon
                1937 Dictator Streetrod
                1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
                1953 Commander Convertible
                1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
                The Dalles, Oregon
                1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

I shipped an automatic once by setting it on a small pallet, then going to a local lumber yard and having them secure it to the pallet with their strapping machine. I then dropped it off at the local shipping terminal. Worked slick.

For a standard trans, check out those large plastic "tupperware" type tubs. They're cheap, come in a variety of sizes and shapes and there won't be any roblem with leaking fluids.

Steve Hudson
                  The Dalles, Oregon
                  1937 Dictator Streetrod
                  1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
                  1953 Commander Convertible
                  1954 Champion Coupe

Steve Hudson
                  The Dalles, Oregon
                  1949 \"GMOBaker\" 1-T Dually (workhorse)
                  1953 Commander Convertible (show & go)
                  1953 "Studacudallac" (project)

Comment

GREAT idea!

Back to square one though... Carl's is a 56, and Biggs says I need a 58 or newer[}]

Still looking...........................

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

GREAT idea!

Back to square one though... Carl's is a 56, and Biggs says I need a 58 or newer[}]

Still looking...........................

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I might tend to do things overkill, but it got to my dad unharmed. I
                        shipped my '60 Hawks 700R4 automatic trans from California to Michigan
                        a couple years ago. I got a used crate from my work, and cut foam to
                        hold the trans in place. I even cut a special one to hold the torque
                        converter above the trans and right side up! The shop receiving the
                        crate thought they got a trans from some high end builder.

I drained everything as best I could and double bagged it. Get ready
                        for sticker shock though - it cost me over 200 bucks![xx(] I sent it thru
                        my work and we have discounted rates with different suppliers, its also
                        cheaper to ship business to business.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I might tend to do things overkill, but it got to my dad unharmed. I
                          shipped my '60 Hawks 700R4 automatic trans from California to Michigan
                          a couple years ago. I got a used crate from my work, and cut foam to
                          hold the trans in place. I even cut a special one to hold the torque
                          converter above the trans and right side up! The shop receiving the
                          crate thought they got a trans from some high end builder.

I drained everything as best I could and double bagged it. Get ready
                          for sticker shock though - it cost me over 200 bucks![xx(] I sent it thru
                          my work and we have discounted rates with different suppliers, its also
                          cheaper to ship business to business.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
                          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

You might run over to your national chain flaps and ask them if they have a/t (or engine) shipping crates. A lot of them ship in their own crates (which are plastic tubs with reinforcements). Perhaps you can pay the deposit on one and return it to their other store at the other end and get your deposit back...
                            Worth a try...
                            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Carl Purdy (ST2DE5) has graciously offered to send me a trans. for Molly; any ideas on the best way to pack and ship it?

My thought was to drain oil, wrap completely with stretch wrap, then wrap with cardboard around the main body, then more stretch wrap...

Parish, central NY 13131

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

You might run over to your national chain flaps and ask them if they have a/t (or engine) shipping crates. A lot of them ship in their own crates (which are plastic tubs with reinforcements). Perhaps you can pay the deposit on one and return it to their other store at the other end and get your deposit back...
                              Worth a try...
                              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Parish, central NY 13131

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X