Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vin # Location 1955 Studebaker Commander

1955 studebaker Commander

In building this Car-B-Que, I have torn this car apart and so far, theonly numbers that I can find on the bod ar in front of the passenger on the firewall, is a plate with the numbers 1668-W6 (with this underneaththose numbers)5521.

So far everyone says that those are the paint code numbers. but I need the vin # so that I can get this registered as a homebuilt trailer.

Any suggestions?

Should be right below the left front door upper hinge, on the body. (a pillar)
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Drivers side door jamb in front on the "A" pillar.
      If the Stainless plate is missing, there is supposed to be a "secret" number stamped in the frame.
      It should be located on the rear most cross member (you may have to remove the lower bumper gravel shield. It may be too rusted to read, but it's worth a try.
      It's really a serial number per se, as true vins weren't enacted by law till the later 60's.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Lazyman41 View Post
        1955 studebaker Commander

theonly numbers that I can find on the bod ar in front of the passenger on the firewall, is a plate with the numbers 1668-W6 (with this underneaththose numbers)5521.

So far everyone says that those are the paint code numbers.
        No, these are not the paint codes. This plate gives the model designation on the top, and the body number on the bottom.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Frame becomes serial number

Comment

[QUOTE:
            In building this Car-B-Que, I have torn this car apart and so far, the only numbers that I can find on the body, in front of the passenger-side of the firewall, is a plate with the numbers 1668-W6 (with this underneath numbers) 5521.

So far everyone says that those are the paint code numbers. but I need the vin # so that I can get this registered as a homebuilt trailer.

[/QUOTE]

*******************************************************************************
            Lazyman41; No, those are not the paint code numbers for this '55 Commander. The firewall tag, with the numbers you posted, is the vehicle's body tag. Decoding this tag gives you the following information:

16G8-W6, 5521

16G.....code for 1955 Champion and Commander automobiles built in the 1955 model years.
            8.........symbol for a V8 engine equipped car, in this case the Commander series. A 16G6 would indicate a Champion series.
            W6......code for a late (wrap-around windshield) four door sedan body.
            5521....indicates the body number, in this case the 5521st four door sedan body (W6) to be built. This number has no relationship to the serial number or the sequence in which this vehicle was assembled.

I believe someone has indicated where the serial number can be found for your car. Hope this adds something to your understanding of the car.

Frank Drumheller
            Locust Grove, VA
            60S-W6
            M16-52 Boyer-bodied 1948 fire truck
            Last edited by studelark; 07-16-2011, 10:39 PM. Reason: rearrange spacing

Comment

Thanks to all, I found the vintag.
              There was soo much paint on it that I had to use
              Aircraft paint stripper to get it down
              enough to see the numbers

Comment

Sometimes thought a little paint stripper should be used on dates, too. Under all those cosmetics, there might not be too much "original" left.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
                X