Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got a problem / And a question for you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a problem / And a question for you.

How many of you have this same problem , I love my cars or I simply wouldn't own them "BUT" I find I drive the Studie more then I do the Chevelle.

#1 I get a lot of looks from both of them people eyeing them over .

#2 The Chevelles got a perfect paint job on it, The Studie has the old original faded worn out paint it was born with.

"SO" guess which one I drive the most : The Studie I don't worry about getting dirty and the interior isn't like brand new.

SO FAR THIS YEAR ..... I've driven the Studie at least twice a week or more . The Chevelle maybe 3 or 4 times on a nice day this year and other then that it sit's locked up under cover.

I see "most" of the post's on this Forum before and after, sure I'd love to have the money to bring the Scottsman back to its original glory but fact of the matter is I get a lot of people saying the same thing "keep it original" the fact of the matter is you don't see very many vehicles any more except at car shows all polished up and to see one with it all original isn't a every day thing.

So here Iam with a over $18.5K car and a $1.5K truck and I like driveing it more then I do my restored car. It might rain and get dirty. It reminds me of ad's for Motorcycles for sale a 10 year old bike with only maybe 800 miles on it with the caption never riden in the rain "lol"

SO I GOT A QUESTION FOR YOU ... How many of you have this same delima as I do or am I just weird.

Last edited by JunkYarDog; 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM. Reason: spelling

You're not wierd, brother. You are just discovering what we've known for years. Drive a Studebaker, in almost any condition, to a car show and you'll draw more attention than any Chevy or Ford. I love parking my beater Studebaker next to the high dollar Camaros. They hate me cuz my car draws a crowd, while the Camaros are, well.... no offense.... just another Camaro.
    sigpicsals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
      You're not wierd, brother. You are just discovering what we've known for years. Drive a Studebaker, in almost any condition, to a car show and you'll draw more attention than any Chevy or Ford. I love parking my beater Studebaker next to the high dollar Camaros. They hate me cuz my car draws a crowd, while the Camaros are, well.... no offense.... just another Camaro.
      Dead On!!

Here in Michigan the world is full of low and high dollar Chevelles, Mustangs, Corvettes and Mopars. If you go to a show, it becomes difficult to talk much about them other than to say "Nice Car"

Now!! Roll in with a Studebaker that very few have seen over the years and the interest and questions escalate. Earlier this year, my 83 Avanti took second place in the Modified Division of a large local car show. It was not because it was nicer than a plethora of Chevys, Fords or Mopars, in fact, it is/was a driver but the unique style and muscle caused a lot of votes to be cast for it. There were a number of high dollar common cars in that category but they had little to differentiate them style wise.

To answer another question, I love to open the polebarn door and unleash the 83. That's why my cars are always drivers and not high dollar show cars.

Unique trumps great but usual at most shows.

Interesting, the first place modified in the show was a 454 powered 1932 Buick that looked stock but was built to drive anywhere/anytime. How's that for unique.

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-15-2011, 09:24 PM.
      , ,

Comment

My very first Studebaker was (and is) a C cab truck. One thing about these little trucks...they are truly what I call an "honest" vehicle. What I mean by that is that they are ruggedly and simply built. They rarely fail, and when they do, they are easy to fix. I have lost count of all the vehicles that have come and gone over the decades since I have owned this truck. It is their bullet proof ruggedness and simplicity that make them so much fun.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

About 20 years ago I had a '49 2R10 project truck that I bought from a widow in DTB...
          It was all stock, and a good runner, but it was dull, faded, rusty, and dented up from the good farm life in Connecticut.
          Anyways, I drove it over to Don Garlit's place once when the early Hot Rod Power Cruise was making a stop on their way to St Petersburg...via Cocoa Beach
          All those lush, powerful, high dollar cars... And I show up as just a gawker with a beater Stude pickup.
          The guy in the parking lot wouldn't let me park outside and literally dragged me 'inside' and parked me with the other Power Cruise cars and show cars.
          At first I was flat embarrassed, but after a while, the crowd kept looking it over..
          Well, it changed my mind about rough looking driver stuff...
          Jeff
          PS: (That's the time where I hooked up with that Avanti pro-street guy (Ed Stachowiac) that blew his back window out at a buck30 in Mass on day one and drove almost the whole tour with no back window.
          Within 24 hours of meeting him, we had him down at the SDC FL State meet in Vero Beach and Stephen Cade and the gang did a pit crew rear window R&R and he completed the Power Tour...Ted was amazed at the Stude crowd...made the magazine..)
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I guess I have the same problem uh- or - pleasure. Which is it. I ask the forum group a while
            back should I paint and polish or leave alone. Kinda, almost decided to drive " the saturday
            night special" as is. Or should I ? LOL LOL

Comment

The guy in the parking lot wouldn't let me park outside and literally dragged me 'inside' and parked me with the other Power Cruise cars and show cars.

I've had the same thing happen to me at shows, and all I wanted to do is park, not be there all day on exhibit. I have a friend that has an old school duce coupe chopped and channeled Chevy V-8 ect. I stopped at a local store one day and parked along side his car and was talking to him inside and when I came back out to my surpize I had more people looking at my Studie then the coupe. I get a lot of people who give me the my Dad when I was a kid had a Studebaker story or some member of their family. And then theres always the fun ones that ask what company made it ? Will way back in 1852 .........

Comment

A well used old work truck is like a friendly old dog - no matter what it looks like, everyone feels at ease around it.
                Andy
                62 GT

Comment

I was at a local cruise in with my 51 last summer. I ended up between two cars that were much nicer and much more collectible. All evening I was getting questions, people were taking pictures of the bullet nose,etc. Well the guy on my right, a chevelle convertible did not like that I was stealing the show. He kept looking at me and looking at my car. He ended upleaving early and burning out when he left. The guy on the left was better about it, a mopar muscle car as I remember, but still didn't "get it"
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

problem

Not weird. I have a 54 ford pickup. Paint is faded and peeling, Interior is solid but blah, stock rims and dog dish caps, but everyone loves it. Draws more attention and comments than our nice cars. AND, I drive it more. Not to worry about the weather, throwing junk in the back, parking lot dings, just drive it. Half embarassed by its condition, and half afraid to fix it, and ruin it.

Comment

I've got the same "problem". My '33 Chevy street rod hasn't even been out of the garage yet. Everywhere I have gone so far. have driven the Stude. Of course some of the blame stems from a knee replacement surgery some 8 weeks ago. The knee hasn't been able to bend far enough to get me in the small doors of the Chev. Maybe this week.

Bob
                      Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Having to decide which toy to play with is a problem we can live with!
                        Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Interesting topic and comments.

'Brings new life to (and verifies the truth of) the old adage, "so far out, they're in!" when referring to Studebakers of any description! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

at a car show last weekend, i was parked between a "perfect" 72 road runner and a beautiful yellow t-bucket. i had a crowd around the stude all day admiring the upholstery and "puny" engine, talking to me about "grandpa's stude", etc. the t-bucket had a few that stopped by. the road runner mainly had "walker-by's" and heard a couple of "nice mopar, man" to the owner...

the response to the stude really made my day!
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

My driver is a 55 President 4 door. I do mean driver. Just got back from Sacramento [about 700 miles round trip].
                              I have no concerns about reliability [Thank You Bob Johnstone]. Paint on the other hand is getting on my nerves.
                              So I will finish the hood and front fenders.[the rest of the car has been painted] Eventually full paint job.
                              Like someone on the forum said "paint it to 100 points, use it to 40 points then start over."
                              I'm also lucky in that My Lady thinks my Studebaker is SEXY
                              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                              X