GT Hawk and Avanti equipment/options/combinations question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT Hawk and Avanti equipment/options/combinations question

I've seen one GT Hawk with 3-speed overdrive. This was a 2-bbl base car. Of course, the owner swore it came that way but he didn't have the factory production order. Since Detroit in general and Studebaker in particular tried to nickle-and-dime the buyer for every upgrade, what was the base transmission on GT Hawks? Anyone have any idea as to production totals for 3-speed, 4-speed and automatic?

1. Was it possible to order an R1 GT with the 3-speed overdrive? Would it have been a T85 or T86? Ever seen one?
    2. Was the R2 available with the 3-speed overdrive? Ever seen one?
    3. We know the first sixty or so Avanti were equipped with the standard T86 3-speed-without-overdrive transmission with a floor shifter. Wouldn't the overdrive theoretically fit in the Avanti? Weren't the Lark convertibles with basically the same frame were available with overdrive, so wonder why Stude didn't use it in the Avanti?

FWIW, I drove one of the original Avanti with the standard 3-speed. I always wondered why anyone would have bought the car equipped that way. The standard 3-speed is a miserable driving experience. If it had had overdrive, it would have been a completely different and much improved car.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    I've seen one GT Hawk with 3-speed overdrive. This was a 2-bbl base car. Of course, the owner swore it came that way but he didn't have the factory production order. Since Detroit in general and Studebaker in particular tried to nickle-and-dime the buyer for every upgrade, what was the base transmission on GT Hawks? Anyone have any idea as to production totals for 3-speed, 4-speed and automatic?

1. Was it possible to order an R1 GT with the 3-speed overdrive? Would it have been a T85 or T86? Ever seen one?
    2. Was the R2 available with the 3-speed overdrive? Ever seen one?
    3. We know the first sixty or so Avanti were equipped with the standard T86 3-speed-without-overdrive transmission with a floor shifter. Wouldn't the overdrive theoretically fit in the Avanti? Weren't the Lark convertibles with basically the same frame were available with overdrive, so wonder why Stude didn't use it in the Avanti?

FWIW, I drove one of the original Avanti with the standard 3-speed. I always wondered why anyone would have bought the car equipped that way. The standard 3-speed is a miserable driving experience. If it had had overdrive, it would have been a completely different and much improved car.

jack vines
    No OD Avanti's were offered or built with OD, nor was it offered on the Avanti powered GT's, but not sure if they built any.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

There is one 2 barrel 62 GT in our chapter that has overdrive. I have no reason to believe it was not built that way.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Overdrive was available on any NON- Avanti powered models. Once you opted for the extra power, overdrive was not available. The strong T85 that was in the Golden Hawks and Presidents, was not available after 58.(except in trucks, and it was different).
        The T96 and overdrive would not hold up to higher power levels of the Avanti engines (or so we were told).
        Many GT hawks were manufactured with overdrive, just not if they had a JT or JTS engine. (R1 or R2).
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

We have TWO Original '63 GT Hawks in our Chapter with 289 4V (AFB), TT and T-86 Overdrive 3 Speed, one is MINE!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

FWIW, for a driver, I'd much rather have a GT Hawk with the T85 overdrive than the 4-speed. Wonder why Studebaker never offered this strong, versatile transmission post-'58?

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

There is a club member here in CT. that has put o.d. in his Avanti.I never saw the car,but he told me he got it to fit in there.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Post your build sheets!
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                  There is a club member here in CT. that has put o.d. in his Avanti.I never saw the car,but he told me he got it to fit in there.
                  There is no reason that it wouldn't fit. They fit in convertibles. They may not hold up.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

3 Speed O. D. '63 GT Hawk

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    Post your build sheets!
                    You dare doubt us Jeff?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by StudeRich; 07-14-2011, 10:51 PM.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Over the years I have had one 63 and one 64 GT with 3 speed and overdrive, never got a build sheet on either ended up parting both as the 63 had a tree fall on it and the 64 was a rust bucket, lots of good parts now on other cars frames and all.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

As I understood it, the overdrive would not fit into an Avanti anyway, without reworking the transmission tunnel--just no room. If you have an R1 Avanti, it would make for a calmer cooler driving experience as a replacement for a 4 speed, as long as you never used the loud pedal; tape that raw egg to the gas pedal <g>. I also understood that the T86 was marginal for a V8. My overdrive transmission kicked the bucket in the Wagonaire, and it only has a 259 2V but more weight. I understood that there were a fair number of problems with the T86 behind a 289 4V, and that Studebaker replaced quite a few. Besides, weren't the T85 overdrives out of production by then?

Comment

As I understood it, the overdrive would not fit into an Avanti anyway, without reworking the transmission tunnel--just no room.
                          The Lark convertibles had overdrive in the same frame, didn't they?

I also understood that the T86 was marginal for a V8.
                          Yes, it was marginal, but that didn't stop Studebaker from putting it behind 289" engines for nine years.

Besides, weren't the T85 overdrives out of production by then?
                          No, Borg-Warner would have been glad to build more Studebaker T85s. The T89 version was used Studebaker trucks right up until the end and and a slightly different version was used in Ford pickups up into the 1970s.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                            As I understood it, the overdrive would not fit into an Avanti anyway, without reworking the transmission tunnel--just no room. If you have an R1 Avanti, it would make for a calmer cooler driving experience as a replacement for a 4 speed, as long as you never used the loud pedal; tape that raw egg to the gas pedal <g>. I also understood that the T86 was marginal for a V8. My overdrive transmission kicked the bucket in the Wagonaire, and it only has a 259 2V but more weight. I understood that there were a fair number of problems with the T86 behind a 289 4V, and that Studebaker replaced quite a few. Besides, weren't the T85 overdrives out of production by then?
                            Same experience with a Wagonaire- replaced in the first two weeks (factory didn't put oil in it), rebuilt by a Studebaker dealer at about 60k, replaced with a good used one at about 125k.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

A buddy of mine in Texas sold this car late 2009 on eBay. I saw the car a few years earlier
                              "....It is a 64 GT Hawk. 289 4 brl. Power Stearing, Power Disc Brakes, Three speed overdrive, Full dash with clock and Tack, Factory AC, Factory AM FM radio...."
                              Leon Martin, Australia.

Comment

Working...
                              X