On the road to Gettysburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the road to Gettysburg

I made it up to Jim McCuan's place in Marion, Illinois. Jim did some things to the Avanti, then we loaded it up. Dale McPhearson called me which was much appreciated. I couldn't talk too long, as I had to let him go when Jim fired the R2 up, I couldn't hear Dale on the phone. But it was certainly great to talk to him.

After loading up we went and visited with John Shanahan for a couple of hours, who's just down the road. Was the first chance I've had to meet him and what a pleasure that was.

Right now I'm sitting in the shotgun seat of Jim's monster F350. Pretty cool to have internet streaming from Jim's flashlight (smart phone). Being able to use a laptop on an 800+ mile road trip does make it go by somewhat faster. We just crossed into Indiana a few miles back. We may stop a couple hours and nap, but being the insomniacs we are we're going to drive straight through. Of course I'll be updating every few hours.

Jim made a nice observation. Here we are riding down the highway in a King Ranch F350, listening to the satellite radio, following the built in GPS, streaming internet off of a phone, posting to the Forum on a laptop... Pulling a 1963 Studebaker.
    Last edited by mbstude; 07-13-2011, 06:42 PM.

Life is good!

You and Jim be careful... and... HAVE A BLAST!

(I got out of Payne County once this year.) <G>
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

You two drive careful and Jim I'd love to see video of you doing a burnout at the Avanti meet during the concours judging ....
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
        You two drive careful and Jim I'd love to see video of you doing a burnout at the Avanti meet during the concours judging ....
        Will they give his car a perfect score if he lights up the original tires?

Comment

Serious note, fellas, be safe out there.
          BTW, nice Avanti (in my favorite color)!

Comment

Jim's been driving non-stop, 14 hours so far. Add that to my drive up from Atlanta and I've been watching pavement pass by for over 24 hours. We're 40 miles from the Eisenhower hotel according to the GPS. See you all soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              Jim's been driving non-stop, 14 hours so far. Add that to my drive up from Atlanta and I've been watching pavement pass by for over 24 hours. We're 40 miles from the Eisenhower hotel according to the GPS. See you all soon.
              Good thing you guys don't have to pull into the scales and have your log book checked!

And Matt...get some sleep before you quote any stainless restoration jobs...zombie status does not bode well for making deals!

Besides wishing I was along for the trip...I am also wishing you guys a good time and safe trip back.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Hey Matt. Look forward to meeting you. I will be there Friday and Saturday. Can I bring two small pieces of stainless that I need cleaned up and give them to you at the meet. We talked about them over email a few months ago.

Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Hey Matthew,
                  Glad you made it safely, nice talking to you a few minutes ago, see you Saturday!
                  Jim S.
                  I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

You bet Jeff. Bring the trim.

Comment

Hey Matt! I am writing this in the lobby of te Eisenhower Inn. (I couldn't get Internet connection in my room.) Where are you? I've been here since this afternoon.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Matt crashed a little bit ago and is sound asleep. Zoey and I are still up for a bit. The Keystone folks put on a great fun night with BBQ and a great band. We got the chance to chat with new SDC Pres Tom Curtis. Nice fellow, articulate, funny, and a lot of energy for the SDC. Very encouraging. We're in room 608 for anyone wanting to get in touch. Plans are to get up around 8 local time. I have a lot to do on the car which should have been done last week. Seminar with John Hull in the afternoon. Then back to work on the car in the evening. We're back in the south corner by the swap meet. Look us up.
                        Jim
                        Often in error, never in doubt
                        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

I caught up with Matt and Jim today.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            I caught up with Matt and Jim today.
                            Quite the pair, eh?

I enjoyed their company!
                            sigpic