Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    Jeb,
    I gotta tell ya, that unless the car you're looking at is significantly better than the one JP is selling, I would reconsider. JPs car has been a frame off restoration. If its selling in the 30K range, consider this:
    First, find a Speedster that needs restoration = 8K
    Bodywork/Rust repair = 3K
    Paint = 10K
    Interior = 5K
    Engine = 4K
    Trans = 1K
    Suspension = 2K
    Chrome = 5K
    Dash = 2K
    Brakes = 1K
    Glass = 1K
    Ornamentation = 2K
    Misc Speedster only hard to find parts = 2K
    Wiring = 1K
    This does not include installation of any of the above. Look at the meticulous installation of all of the above on JPs car. That goes for $100 per hour shop rates, or do it yourself. And don't scratch anything during the assembly or oops, back to the paint shop. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like a 200 - 300 hour restoration.
    Just food for thought. Spend wisely on a car like this.
    Good luck.
    I hear you loud and clear. The problem I run into (many others too, I
    presume) is beauties like JPs car go for just more than I can afford. As I
    look for a Stude I keep upping my spending limit and each time I see
    something like JPs speedster I end up a little short. Maybe my sights are
    just set too high. I know I'll bid on the car if it's on ebay or, if
    possible, offer as much as I have but a car like that from someone with JPs
    reputation will probably go for top dollar. I'll definitely be in the
    running though. It'll be exciting trying to obtain the speedster. In my
    situation, purchasing from the middle of Alaska, bidding on a car with
    minimal Stude knowledge is scary. At least with JPs car I can bid
    unfettered of fears of getting burned. From what I've read in this forum,
    most club members are straight up about the condition of the vehicles they
    are selling. This is my impression anyway.

Jeb

Comment

Jeb, In this market, you just might have a better chance than you have before. Good Luck.
      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
        Jeb, In this market, you just might have a better chance than you have before. Good Luck.
        The good news on Jeff's Speedster is the reserve will be way under the 55K a lessor Speedster recently sold for, the bad news it will be above 30K, but by a much smaller margin. In any event, still way under building a car to that level.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

It's a beautiful machine. It will be worth every dollar paid for it. I'm going to try to talk the wife into letting me increase our budget above 30K so I can make a bid for fun. At least I'll pump the price up near the reserve to get things going. I've found someone with a flatbed scanner so tomorrow I'll be able to post photos of the speedster I've been asking questions about. After this though I think I'll cool my jets and reset our sights on a car we can truly afford. I showed that '58 Packard hawk on ebay to my wife and son. They thought it was cool, but boy, it looks like it needs more work that we could ever afford. It would be nice to drive around for a while though.

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
            ... BTW, AC was not a option in 55 on a hardtop to the best of my knowledge.http://www.stude.com/Jeff/
            I always hesitate to dispute the word of a pro on Studebaker subjects, especially JP, but I once owned a '55 Prez HT that had the factory AC removed. It had the holes in the rear package tray covered up with a new piece of cardboard, but all 4 (2 inlet, 2 outlet) were definitely there in the metal part along with a rear seat speaker.

It also had extra holes drilled in the bottom of the dash where the controls might have been. Dunno why anyone would go to all the trouble to remove it but it was gone. This car also had an 8v battery and gen/reg set up for 8 volts, possibly to help with the extra load of the AC. (Blew lotsa bulbs with that set-up!)

I know the brochure specifies sedans only, but knowing Studebaker and their dealers, I think anything could have happened.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
              I always hesitate to dispute the word of a pro on Studebaker subjects, especially JP, but I once owned a '55 Prez HT that had the factory AC removed. It had the holes in the rear package tray covered up with a new piece of cardboard, but all 4 (2 inlet, 2 outlet) were definitely there in the metal part along with a rear seat speaker.

It also had extra holes drilled in the bottom of the dash where the controls might have been. Dunno why anyone would go to all the trouble to remove it but it was gone. This car also had an 8v battery and gen/reg set up for 8 volts, possibly to help with the extra load of the AC. (Blew lotsa bulbs with that set-up!)

I know the brochure specifies sedans only, but knowing Studebaker and their dealers, I think anything could have happened.

John

I don't dispute that some were installed later, but I've never heard of it being a factory option. i.e., I see no reason why you could not fit a sedan compressor on the rest of a 56 Hawk unit and make it work as long as it would clear the hood.
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAVE0008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1670259Click image for larger version

Name:	SAVE0004.jpg
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1670258Click image for larger version

Name:	SAVE0005.jpg
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1670257Click image for larger version

Name:	SAVE0006-1.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1670256Click image for larger version

Name:	SAVE0007.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1670255I just got back from the Alakska Range. The bugs were ferocious. My buddy scanned the photos of the speedster for me. Let me know what you think. Jeb.

Comment

'Looks like a nice car! Comments on a brief peek:

1. Of course, you need to pull up the floor covering and look underneath it to make sure the car has structural integrity and isn't a good-looking car on top of a pile of pop-riveted, sheet-metal, rust repair panels.

2. What is the doo-hicky on the front of the air cleaner? Looks like a knob of some sort? ???

3. Is it a 12-volt conversion? The car was originally 6-volt, positive ground. 'Looks like a 12-volt battery in there...and I would disappoint everyone if I didn't note the missing battery hold down. <GGG>

4. Assuming it is a 12-volt, negative-ground conversion, does everything work as advertised?

5. 'Nice to see a large fuse holder in the power lead off the starter solenoid battery connection. Hopefully, that is to protect all the wiring downstream.

6. 'Sure is the right colors for a Speedster!

Nice car; 'hope you are able to put something together on it, Jeb. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Minor nit picking of what looks like a very nice car. With a 12 volt conversion with a alternator, do all the gages, wipers, radio, heater etc work correctly ? It's missing the correct $350 trunk mat and the exhaust extensions, pretty normal. Lots of added electrical do-dads wired in and mounted under the hood. Without more and bigger pictures, I can't say much more.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                      Minor nit picking of what looks like a very nice car. With a 12 volt conversion with a alternator, do all the gages, wipers, radio, heater etc work correctly ? It's missing the correct $350 trunk mat and the exhaust extensions, pretty normal. Lots of added electrical do-dads wired in and mounted under the hood. Without more and bigger pictures, I can't say much more.
                      Alternator, John? That's a well-disguised alternator. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Alternator, John? That's a well-disguised alternator. BP

Small picture, and a shiny front on a black generator got me, sure enough.
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                        X