Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes it's nice to have an auto trans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it's nice to have an auto trans!

Well today I wished I had a car with auto trans!

Driving to a show in an extremely hilly area.............came to a stop light which was at the crest of a steep hill..........the light turns red.........I panic...........fearful that I will roll back and hit a person car etc..........I jam emergency brake then shift into first, let up on the clutch and release the brake........car starts to go back...........I feed gas, still goes back.I stompthe pedal to the floor.....the incline is so steep that the car sits there burning rubber looking like a dragster.tons of black smoke coming from the one leg no posi rear......the car finally is able to overcome the hill........the stink of the rubber is all over the interior.................today I wish the car was not four speed!

You need a Hill-Holder, which was available as an option on your car from Studebaker. Used units are available for your car. Push the clutch pedal all the way in, and it activates your brakes until you completely release the clutch pedal.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Car has a Hill Holder........does not work......nobody seems to be able to fix, and or adjust the damn thing.the shop manual is a joke in how to adjust.......and there is so little room on the frame I just said the heck with it.......yesterday was a rare situation.
      Originally posted by Milaca View Post
      You need a Hill-Holder, which was available as an option on your car from Studebaker. Used units are available for your car. Push the clutch pedal all the way in, and it activates your brakes until you completely release the clutch pedal.

Comment

Now, don't take this wrong....
        But as a Studebaker owner, and enthusiast....
        That is a lame excuse for not making your Studebaker the best it can be, mechanically.
        Just fix it. Or seek out someone who can.
        Your Studebaker deserves it.

Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
        Car has a Hill Holder........does not work......nobody seems to be able to fix, and or adjust the damn thing.the shop manual is a joke in how to adjust.......and there is so little room on the frame I just said the heck with it.......yesterday was a rare situation.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The key was not to panic. If you know the vehicle and have the experience hills are not a problem. I've wore a little clutch disc, stalled some in my younger days but never drifted back into anyone. So hills are not a big concern. I've always had at least one standard shift vehicle and I even like them in city traffic.

Ken

Comment

I remember the first time I drove Dad's '64 Wagonaire, 6 with 3 speed. I was already nervous, being 15 with a learner's permit and driving one of the nicer Studes my family owns, as well as my Dad riding shotgun. I'd stopped on an incline at a 4 lane highway. After choking the car down about 3 times trying to start off and rolling back, the guy behind me finally backed up to give me some more space. Embarrassing for me? Yep. Didn't take me long after that to master the clutch. Today I drive an F150 with a 5 speed, and have been downtown in a few major cities, on hills, etc etc. Not a big deal once you get used to it. I burn the clutch up more pulling my granddad's 16' trailer with a car on it.

The "worst" one to drive I've owned was the cool '51 2R16 flat bed. Big Six with a non synchro 4 speed. Sadly I didn't own it long enough to get used to it, but it sure was fun! Had a blast being 16 and driving that big truck to school..
            Last edited by mbstude; 07-11-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I have a very thick skin so no your comments do not upset me. But that HH is like an item from mars to young brand x techs.......I did have the car on the lift last year but ran out of time to tear it apart........ I have yet to find anyone who could actually understnd the shop manual as to how to adjust the thing once installed........like I said the next owner can F with it:-)
              Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Now, don't take this wrong....
              But as a Studebaker owner, and enthusiast....
              That is a lame excuse for not making your Studebaker the best it can be, mechanically.
              Just fix it. Or seek out someone who can.
              Your Studebaker deserves it.

Comment

I just slip the clutch until the light turns green.
                Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                I remember the first time I drove Dad's '64 Wagonaire, 6 with 3 speed. I was already nervous, being 15 with a learner's permit and driving one of the nicer Studes my family owns. I'd stopped on an incline at a 4 lane highway. After choking the car down about 3 times trying to start off and rolling back, the guy behind me finally backed up to give me some more space. Embarrassing for me? Yep. Didn't take me long after that to master the clutch. Today I drive an F150 with a 5 speed, and have been downtown in a few major cities, on hills, etc etc. Not a big deal once you get used to it. I burn the clutch up more pulling my granddad's 16' trailer with a car on it.

The "worst" one to drive I've owned was the cool '51 2R16 flat bed. Big Six with a non synchro 4 speed. Sadly I didn't own it long enough to get used to it, but it sure was fun! Had a blast being 16 and driving that big truck to school..

Comment

Hey, having an automatic is not an "automatic" (pun intended) cure for starting off on a steep hill. Recently, while attending the "Spring Fling" meet at Willdon Critcher's place in Boone North Carolina, I found my self having to pull away from a dead stop on the peak of one of those tall Appalachian mountains. You know, one of those places where you can holler over to you neighbor, but if you wanted to shake hands with him, you would have to drive five miles.

Well...the elegant old Land Cruiser just didn't want to budge with that second gear start. In a near panic, I quickly snatched the gear selector down to low and spun the wheels. That gave me a sick little grin on my face, but I think the old bullet nose was downright embarrassed!
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                  X