1966 trim questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 trim questions

I have now owned two 1966 Cruisers. The first one, now owned by Dick Clemens, came from the factory with the front grille and headlight bezels shiny, with no black out painting whatsoever. This was confirmed by the original owner and backed up by pictures of the car when almost new. The second car, which I now have, has the grille painted in blackout style, but the headlight bezels are NOT painted. I can't be sure it came from the factory that way, but with the anomaly of the other Cruiser, I can't be sure. Does anyone else know of 1966 Cruisers built without the intended black paint?

Also, are the grille and headlight bezels aluminum? Are the C pillar trim pieces aluminum? If so, when new were they clear anodized or just highly polished? What is the best way to get the original shine back? Is it impossible on the grille and bezels because of all the pitting over the years?
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Also, are the grille and headlight bezels aluminum? Are the C pillar trim pieces aluminum? If so, when new were they clear anodized or just highly polished? What is the best way to get the original shine back? Is it impossible on the grille and bezels because of all the pitting over the years?
    The grille and bezels are aluminum, and the horizontal C-pillar piece is extruded aluminum. The chrome cap that wraps around and meets the rear window is pot metal. According to the parts catalog, Cruisers and Daytonas had matte black paint on the bezels except for the flat outer perimiter, and on the inner section of the grille pieces.

Craig

Comment

Scott , the only true way to tell how a car came would be to order the built sheet from the museum.
      I know of a 66 Daytona in Michigan that came with 65 wheel disc and this shows on the built sheet . Guess the original owner preferred these caps over the 66 ones and 65 were still available.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
        I know of a 66 Daytona in Michigan that came with 65 wheel disc and this shows on the built sheet
        I'd love to see the build sheet for that. As has been proved, special-ordering a 'year before' item has been done before such as the 1960 Lark Marshal that was ordered in 1959 Hawaiian Green.

Craig

Comment

Craig , I'll see if I can get the owner to scan it .
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
            Craig , I'll see if I can get the owner to scan it .
            Thanks! Looking forward to seeing that!!

Craig

Comment

Craig , I have it now but I didn't see an email for you .
              PM me with your email and I'll forward it.
              sigpic

Comment

Don't forget to let us know what's listed on the build sheet!!! Or, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to also receive the scanned image.
                thanks,
                Mike Sal

Comment

Nobody's yet answered my question about whether the parts in question are clear anodized or not. Does anyone know?
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Scott, the aluminum parts were "bright" anodized originally. Over the years, they become cloudy looking as uncontrolled oxidation forms under the "controlled" oxide layer (which is what anodizing is). Parts can be stripped & re-coated by shops that know the process, but '66 parts aren't rare enough to warrant that. You can usually find NOS trim for less than the cost of a restoration. The door & truck locks, the door handles, the hood ornament, the grill badge, fender badges, the "S" on the sail panel, the wiper bezels, & the antenna bezel are all chrome plated pot metal. The Trim below the trunk lid, the side moldings, the drip moldings are stainless steel. Hope this helps
                    Mike Sal

Comment

Working...
                    X