1966 Studeabkers Any RHD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Studeabkers Any RHD?

Just wondering whether any of the 1966 Studebakers were made in RHD?

The reason I ask is that talking to Chris Skinner on how he converted his dash he recalled his father getting a RHD 1966 dashpad from Newman/Altman - only 1 they ever had, so I thought I should ask.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

There were 83 cars exported, so if we can find out where they went , it might confirm their existance, although I be surprised if there wasn't, as the Austrailian sales were always good for studebaker. Somewhere I have an article that claimed the "last" studebaker was built a couple months past the official "March 17" ending date, from a knock down kit in some other country (I'll have to look to see if I can find it).

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
      There were 83 cars exported, so if we can find out where they went , it might confirm their existance, although I be surprised if there wasn't, as the Austrailian sales were always good for studebaker. Somewhere I have an article that claimed the "last" studebaker was built a couple months past the official "March 17" ending date, from a knock down kit in some other country (I'll have to look to see if I can find it).
      http://www.studebakercarclub.net/studeaus.htm

Scroll down towards the bottom and there is the info pertaining to the last Studes built in Australia. Apparently; their '1966' models did not use the American 1966 grille.
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Yes there were some RHC (right hand control) 1966 models produced, all V8s.
        2 - Y4 with std trans; 1 - Y4 automatic
        3 - Y9 automatic
        1 - F4 automatic
        2 - P8 automatic
        for a total of 9 vehicles. Rare, I would say.
        Later this year there will be another Fred Fox feature on 1966 models in TW

Comment

What was the last car assembled in New Zealand from a complete knockdown kit like? ISTR somewhere that it was even later than the last AU assembled car, and was perhaps truly was the "last" Studebaker. Was it a "65 style" car?

Comment

I have a lead on a 63 lark with righthand drive for sale locally. Is there a market for these cars anybody have any intrest I can get more details.
            John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Originally posted by 289stude View Post
              I have a lead on a 63 lark with righthand drive for sale locally. Is there a market for these cars anybody have any intrest I can get more details.
              Sure, why not.PM me or put it on the forum as to the info on this car.

Comment

Originally posted by 289stude View Post
                It seems like Bob A. would be interested and he is in your part of the country.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In response to 1962larksedan the Aussie assembled cars in 1966 were left over 1965 models, wherever the exported 1966's went it wasn't down here. Thanks for the info and I look forward to the article in TW.
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Our Australian built '1966' models were identical to '65 models with a few minor changes. Some nice new colours were added and the carpet was of a better quality. Also, a "Flightomatic" badge was added to the R/H lower side of the rear body panel. The stitching pattern for the hood lining also changed at some point. Thats about it!

There was some early publicity in Australia showing the '66 Canadian facelift but unfortunatly the new styling and trim changes never appeared on Australian assembled cars. And it is very true that some new cars were built after the Canadian shut down from remaining CKD kits but these still had the appearance or Canadian '65 models.

Comment

Hmmm....that "Flightomatic" badge is something I've never heard of. Anyone have a picture of it??

Comment

Will post a photo when I can find a good one. They are a nice rectangular badge that was locally made. Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                          What was the last car assembled in New Zealand from a complete knockdown kit like? ISTR somewhere that it was even later than the last AU assembled car, and was perhaps truly was the "last" Studebaker. Was it a "65 style" car?
                          The last cars assembled in New Zealand were 1965 type CKD's. They used a limited amout of local content (upholstry, heater, etc.) so they appeared almost identical to Canadian built vehicles. And like Australian assembled CKD's, were all RHC.

Comment

Working...
                          X