Someone hacked into my E-bay account!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone hacked into my E-bay account!

Yesterday, (Thursday), I got home around 5pm and I checked my email like normal. I noticed a letter from Ebay in regards to my request for changing my email. I had not made this request. In further research I checked my ebay and noticed that I was currently winning a $132,000 corvette. I don't have that kind of money and I don't even like corvettes. I was also bidding on two other classic cars that were not cheap. Luckily the two other cars ended without the sale, but the corvette was ending in 3 minutes! I figured out how to cancel my bid and I was saved. I proceeded to my ebay account to check my information and the email had been changed to an address that I did not recognize. I immediately changed my password and email address. I just talked with ebay security and my account has been resecured and restored. What a scare though. If I hadn't gotten home in time I'd be driving a '67 Corvette to South Bend!(of course by then I'd have a blown 289 in there)

Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
    http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t95/stude4x4/
    http://varozza4x4.com

Sounds like someone was trying to convert you to "the dark side"......

Comment

Sounds like someone was trying to convert you to "the dark side"......

Comment

I had someone do this to me while I was at the Spokane meet. When I got back home I couldn't access my eBay account. I had to change all my info. Luckily, they didn't buy anything.

Leonard Shepherd
        http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

I had someone do this to me while I was at the Spokane meet. When I got back home I couldn't access my eBay account. I had to change all my info. Luckily, they didn't buy anything.

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

That's terrible news, but good that you guys got it fixed without huge problems.

What I want to know is HOW?

How did they break into your account, did they guess the password, use some spyware that stole it while you logged on at some point, or did they write some code that can break through ebay's security? What did ebay security say happened?

This is important info for all of us, so that we can prevent it. Personally, I'd really like to do all that I can to avoid getting my ebay ID or any other account info stolen.

Best Regards,
            Eric West
            "The Speedster Kid"
            Sunny Northern California
            Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
            And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
            55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
            55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
            Best Regards,
            Eric West
            "The Speedster Kid"
            And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)

Comment

That's terrible news, but good that you guys got it fixed without huge problems.

How did they break into your account, did they guess the password, use some spyware that stole it while you logged on at some point, or did they write some code that can break through ebay's security? What did ebay security say happened?

This is important info for all of us, so that we can prevent it. Personally, I'd really like to do all that I can to avoid getting my ebay ID or any other account info stolen.

Best Regards,
              Eric West
              "The Speedster Kid"
              Best Regards,
              Eric West
              "The Speedster Kid"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55studeman

Best Regards,
                Eric West
                "The Speedster Kid"
                Eric and others-
                [u]Do beware!</u> There are alot of hackers and scammers who send Ebay, PayPal, etc. account-holders fake or spoof emails in order to gain access to your accounts. These fake emails are extremely convincing forgeries, using the Ebay/PayPal logos, font style, etc. Anytime they're asking for you to confirm any of your personal or account information and the email request has not come through your Ebay account directly, but rather to your personal email address, do not respond!! I fell victim to this early on and ended up having numerous pricey and illegal items listed on my sellers account. It took me three days to get this matter cleared up with Ebay!

Ebay also encourages everyone to change their password frequently. There are hackers who run programs to decode your password. Once that is accomplished, the same problem is created for the account holder. I, too, had this happen. As far as any claims about our information being on a secure site, don't anyone believe it. There are always going to be people smarter than even the best programmers with the most sophisticated security programs in place.

So, to summarize: Always be CERTAIN an email is coming from Ebay/PayPal. If you are not sure and want verification, forward the message to: spoof@ebay.com and Ebay will confirm its legitimacy for you. Also, change your password at least once a month to avoid hackers from being able to figure out your account password.

Good luck to everyone regarding this frustrating internet problem.

Christof Kheim
                ---studesnbldr
                christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
                Christof Kheim
                ---studesnbldr
                ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55studeman

Best Regards,
                  Eric West
                  "The Speedster Kid"
                  Eric and others-
                  [u]Do beware!</u> There are alot of hackers and scammers who send Ebay, PayPal, etc. account-holders fake or spoof emails in order to gain access to your accounts. These fake emails are extremely convincing forgeries, using the Ebay/PayPal logos, font style, etc. Anytime they're asking for you to confirm any of your personal or account information and the email request has not come through your Ebay account directly, but rather to your personal email address, do not respond!! I fell victim to this early on and ended up having numerous pricey and illegal items listed on my sellers account. It took me three days to get this matter cleared up with Ebay!

Ebay also encourages everyone to change their password frequently. There are hackers who run programs to decode your password. Once that is accomplished, the same problem is created for the account holder. I, too, had this happen. As far as any claims about our information being on a secure site, don't anyone believe it. There are always going to be people smarter than even the best programmers with the most sophisticated security programs in place.

So, to summarize: Always be CERTAIN an email is coming from Ebay/PayPal. If you are not sure and want verification, forward the message to: spoof@ebay.com and Ebay will confirm its legitimacy for you. Also, change your password at least once a month to avoid hackers from being able to figure out your account password.

Good luck to everyone regarding this frustrating internet problem.

Christof Kheim
                  ---studesnbldr
                  christof@rockymountainstudebaker.net
                  Christof Kheim
                  ---studesnbldr
                  ckheim@yahoo.com

Comment

My Paypal account had to be closed because someone did the same thing, changed to another email for the account, etc. I am getting at least one email a month announcing that I have not paid someone for something on Ebay. They are all frauds. I don't know how they are getting into all of this stuff, but it is happening. At least we are all honest on this site.

Comment

My Paypal account had to be closed because someone did the same thing, changed to another email for the account, etc. I am getting at least one email a month announcing that I have not paid someone for something on Ebay. They are all frauds. I don't know how they are getting into all of this stuff, but it is happening. At least we are all honest on this site.

Comment

If you're like me, you get this stuff on occassion. The PRIMARY thing to rememberis that niether ebay nor PayPal will ask you to validate, update, reset, confirm ANYTHING directly via an e-mail. If for any reason they want to contact you, they'd alert you that there was a message posted to your "My ebay" account. You'd have to log in via the net like you would to do any business.
                        Anything like that that shows up in my E-mail - I simply forward to to spoof at ebay.com or spoof at paypal.com and in short order I get a reply confirming that what I sent them was/is bogus.
                        There's REAL miscreants out there that don't know you and don't want to - they just want to prey on your gullibility and profit from it. Nothing personal, you understand!

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If you're like me, you get this stuff on occassion. The PRIMARY thing to rememberis that niether ebay nor PayPal will ask you to validate, update, reset, confirm ANYTHING directly via an e-mail. If for any reason they want to contact you, they'd alert you that there was a message posted to your "My ebay" account. You'd have to log in via the net like you would to do any business.
                          Anything like that that shows up in my E-mail - I simply forward to to spoof at ebay.com or spoof at paypal.com and in short order I get a reply confirming that what I sent them was/is bogus.
                          There's REAL miscreants out there that don't know you and don't want to - they just want to prey on your gullibility and profit from it. Nothing personal, you understand!

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I used to think I was pretty computer and scam savvy but I, too got hooked into a "spoof" by a supposed e-mail from PayPal (which I use for Ebay) about 2 years ago, and had to spend considerable time and effort to get it straightened out. Fortunately, I wasn't out any money, but we cancelled our PayPal account for about a year just to make sure that no one was using our account. That was a real wake-up call, that this sort of thing can happen to anyone, so Beware!

doctormap
                            '48 Champion 4-door

Comment

I used to think I was pretty computer and scam savvy but I, too got hooked into a "spoof" by a supposed e-mail from PayPal (which I use for Ebay) about 2 years ago, and had to spend considerable time and effort to get it straightened out. Fortunately, I wasn't out any money, but we cancelled our PayPal account for about a year just to make sure that no one was using our account. That was a real wake-up call, that this sort of thing can happen to anyone, so Beware!

doctormap
                              '48 Champion 4-door

Comment

Working...
                              X