1951 Commander rolling chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Commander rolling chassis

I bought a 1951 Commander and with it came a rolling chassis. I almost left the chassis behind because I did not have a place to put it. I could not bear to leave good Studebaker parts behind that I knew where going to the scrap yard. Now I have a chassis that I do not know what to do with. I was just going to remove the rear axle and front suspension parts and scrap the frame. I hate doing that because the frame appears to be in good shape. I will be selling most of the extra parts to support the project, but do not know what a good rolling chassis would be worth. Obviously shipping would a factor. I live in Idaho, so not to much demand here for frames, but dry conditions preserve parts. The Commander I bought had been sitting in a field for 13 years without a windshield or door windows and still the floors were in good shape.

Well to scrap or not to scrap, that is the question.

See the Commander here. Sorry I have no pictures of the chassis yet.

http://racingstudebakers.com/stl-web...pic.php?t=1014

Thanks, ghcoe.

Many parts that were worth nothing twenty years ago are long lamented now. Worth keeping then? Some yes, some no.

Good parts worth keeping now? Some yes, some yes. Worth the trouble? Some no! Put your ad in TURNING WHEELS or on ebay.

It sucks to have stuff you know has value to someone but you just can't deal with it.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Many parts that were worth nothing twenty years ago are long lamented now. Worth keeping then? Some yes, some no.

Good parts worth keeping now? Some yes, some yes. Worth the trouble? Some no! Put your ad in TURNING WHEELS or on ebay.

It sucks to have stuff you know has value to someone but you just can't deal with it.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Need some more expert opinions regarding transmissions... The extra transmissions in the pictures from the above posts are labeled T86, but they look like T96 w/OD and would they fit my 51 Champion? If so, would ghcoe like to sell me one? Do you have the forward shaft/yoke that goes with them? Solenoid, control cable, kick-down, etc?

Las Vegas, NV
        '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Comment

Need some more expert opinions regarding transmissions... The extra transmissions in the pictures from the above posts are labeled T86, but they look like T96 w/OD and would they fit my 51 Champion? If so, would ghcoe like to sell me one? Do you have the forward shaft/yoke that goes with them? Solenoid, control cable, kick-down, etc?

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ghcoe

I bought a 1951 Commander and with it came a rolling chassis. I almost left the chassis behind because I did not have a place to put it. I could not bear to leave good Studebaker parts behind that I knew where going to the scrap yard. Now I have a chassis that I do not know what to do with. I was just going to remove the rear axle and front suspension parts and scrap the frame. I hate doing that because the frame appears to be in good shape. I will be selling most of the extra parts to support the project, but do not know what a good rolling chassis would be worth. Obviously shipping would a factor. I live in Idaho, so not to much demand here for frames, but dry conditions preserve parts. The Commander I bought had been sitting in a field for 13 years without a windshield or door windows and still the floors were in good shape.

Thanks, ghcoe.
            Is the chrome on the rolling chassis in decent shape, or even some of it? I'm pretty sure that the chrome and trim on a '51 Champion and '51 Commander are the same. All of the chrome on my '51 Champion four-door is pretty much shot, and I'm caught between having it all re-plated, or trying to find decent chrome parts to replace it with-not sure which would be the most cost-worthy way to go.

pitbulllady

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ghcoe

Thanks, ghcoe.
              Is the chrome on the rolling chassis in decent shape, or even some of it? I'm pretty sure that the chrome and trim on a '51 Champion and '51 Commander are the same. All of the chrome on my '51 Champion four-door is pretty much shot, and I'm caught between having it all re-plated, or trying to find decent chrome parts to replace it with-not sure which would be the most cost-worthy way to go.

pitbulllady

Comment

Unless I interpret wrong, I doubt there'd be any "chrome" on a "chassis" - it, technically, being the mechanical underpinnings of a vehicle.

Paul, those transmissions WILL NOT work in your Champion. They're for V8 cars. (Yes, I looked at the photos)

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Unless I interpret wrong, I doubt there'd be any "chrome" on a "chassis" - it, technically, being the mechanical underpinnings of a vehicle.

Paul, those transmissions WILL NOT work in your Champion. They're for V8 cars. (Yes, I looked at the photos)

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks, Mr.Biggs, I've already communicated with Anne and she still has dibbs on the tranny you have. (I'm too honest - she said I could have it if my car wasn't running and needed a trans, but I told her I merely wanted to upgrade my 3-speed to OD)I'm still looking. I've got a line on one or two, but nothing firm yet.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Thanks, Mr.Biggs, I've already communicated with Anne and she still has dibbs on the tranny you have. (I'm too honest - she said I could have it if my car wasn't running and needed a trans, but I told her I merely wanted to upgrade my 3-speed to OD)I'm still looking. I've got a line on one or two, but nothing firm yet.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

The only chrome that I can think of that would be considered part of an entire chassis assembly would be the front and rear bumpers.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The only chrome that I can think of that would be considered part of an entire chassis assembly would be the front and rear bumpers.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Technically, anything from the windsheild forward, including all sheetmetal, is chassis, and can be found in the chassis parts catalog.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Technically, anything from the windsheild forward, including all sheetmetal, is chassis, and can be found in the chassis parts catalog.

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Working...
                              X