rear wont match. If someone got the cloth 4th gen (I am assuming you
    can not/will not do leather) interior, could you acquire matching
    material to do the rear seat with?

I have a set of leather light tan 1997 Camaro seats in my Avanti, and
    the drivers side has some wear spots, I have considered purchasing a
    set of cloth front seat covers, and seeing of you can make a matching
    rear cover set. Unless you can do leather inserts .... Again this is
    ONLY for the rear seat. My dad is planning on doing the same with his
    1969 Avanti II (4th Gen Camaro front/Avanti rear).

Tom

quote:Originally posted by JDP
    I do make 63-64 reproduction seat upholstery kits. $500 and UPS, standard Avanti colors.
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Can you use modern materials and match a front seat? It has been on
      my list of things to ask you about, and this thread seems to be a good
      place to explore this. Take this 81 Avanti for example, the rear seat
      is there, but is damaged from water contact - it needs a new cover. If
      we use my example of using a donor 4th Gen F-body to get this Avanti
      back on the road - we have a much nicer set of front seats - but the
      rear wont match. If someone got the cloth 4th gen (I am assuming you
      can not/will not do leather) interior, could you acquire matching
      material to do the rear seat with?

I have a set of leather light tan 1997 Camaro seats in my Avanti, and
      the drivers side has some wear spots, I have considered purchasing a
      set of cloth front seat covers, and seeing of you can make a matching
      rear cover set. Unless you can do leather inserts .... Again this is
      ONLY for the rear seat. My dad is planning on doing the same with his
      1969 Avanti II (4th Gen Camaro front/Avanti rear).

Tom

quote:Originally posted by JDP
      I do make 63-64 reproduction seat upholstery kits. $500 and UPS, standard Avanti colors.
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I could have the rear seat done in matching leather, but get ready for sticker shock.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        58 Starlight
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I could have the rear seat done in matching leather, but get ready for sticker shock.

JDP/Maryland

63 GT R2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert
          63 Lark 2 door
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Well, I'm standing by my opinion but I must be mis-reading the market on Avanti II project cars, $4220 to buy this car!!!

ErnieR

Comment

Well, I'm standing by my opinion but I must be mis-reading the market on Avanti II project cars, $4220 to buy this car!!!

ErnieR

Comment

This Avanti was only a couple of miles from me so I went and looked it over. I was going to place a last second bid, but then I could see that eBay auction madness had entered into the winning bidder. The "winner" didn't have much eBay activity, my guess is that he didn't do much market research - that he simply got caught up in wanting to win. With that kind of a winning bid I am sure that the new owner plans on a restoration, and I wish him the best. Maybe green Avanti II's with Japanese provenance command a premium?

Shipping a non-running car halfway across the U.S. is expensive because of the extra handling and work needed by the transport company. For me the economics only barely make sense at ~ half the winning bid, helped in large part by my ability to load it up and haul it over to my house with no shipping charges. The bill of sale is no problem for me, just have the CHP verify the vin number and check the hidden vin locations for a match, then run it through their database of stolen and salvage vehicles. You don't "have" to tell them it was exported to Japan and then reimported to the U.S. - which opens up possible D.O.T inspection and more.

The seller was accurate in his description of the car as a pile of crap, there was a lot to do to make this Avanti look good and be road worthy. The body was straight, but I wasn't completely sure that was the original paint - however, I could not see any obvious sign of body repair work. The wire wheels were a mixed blessing because I prefer wire wheels on Avantis - but these were painted silver and I have no idea of what was under the paint. Wire wheels are very pricey to properly restore and re-chrome.

With the exception of someone at JDP's level of familiarity with getting long sitting non-running cars running again, this car would be a bit of a fright pig for the uninitiated. It was apparently last running 8 years ago - with no great guaranty that it hadn't originally been parked because of major mechanical or electrical issues.

My guess is that the new owner places no monetary value on his own time, and that he will likely soon be overwhelmed by the work that is needed. He may even decide that at $0 per hour that isn't low enough to balance out with all the parts cost. It would be foolish to expect that everything will just require a good cleanup to run properly again - there is some serious work to be done and parts to be bought. Except for sbca's plans for a drivetrain swap, the thrill of driving a 170 hp 305 may not be enough of a reward for all the time and effort.

Thomas

New Stude guy! Long time hot rodder
                '63 Avanti R2 4 speed with interesting plans

Comment

This Avanti was only a couple of miles from me so I went and looked it over. I was going to place a last second bid, but then I could see that eBay auction madness had entered into the winning bidder. The "winner" didn't have much eBay activity, my guess is that he didn't do much market research - that he simply got caught up in wanting to win. With that kind of a winning bid I am sure that the new owner plans on a restoration, and I wish him the best. Maybe green Avanti II's with Japanese provenance command a premium?

Shipping a non-running car halfway across the U.S. is expensive because of the extra handling and work needed by the transport company. For me the economics only barely make sense at ~ half the winning bid, helped in large part by my ability to load it up and haul it over to my house with no shipping charges. The bill of sale is no problem for me, just have the CHP verify the vin number and check the hidden vin locations for a match, then run it through their database of stolen and salvage vehicles. You don't "have" to tell them it was exported to Japan and then reimported to the U.S. - which opens up possible D.O.T inspection and more.

The seller was accurate in his description of the car as a pile of crap, there was a lot to do to make this Avanti look good and be road worthy. The body was straight, but I wasn't completely sure that was the original paint - however, I could not see any obvious sign of body repair work. The wire wheels were a mixed blessing because I prefer wire wheels on Avantis - but these were painted silver and I have no idea of what was under the paint. Wire wheels are very pricey to properly restore and re-chrome.

With the exception of someone at JDP's level of familiarity with getting long sitting non-running cars running again, this car would be a bit of a fright pig for the uninitiated. It was apparently last running 8 years ago - with no great guaranty that it hadn't originally been parked because of major mechanical or electrical issues.

My guess is that the new owner places no monetary value on his own time, and that he will likely soon be overwhelmed by the work that is needed. He may even decide that at $0 per hour that isn't low enough to balance out with all the parts cost. It would be foolish to expect that everything will just require a good cleanup to run properly again - there is some serious work to be done and parts to be bought. Except for sbca's plans for a drivetrain swap, the thrill of driving a 170 hp 305 may not be enough of a reward for all the time and effort.

Thomas

New Stude guy! Long time hot rodder
                  '63 Avanti R2 4 speed with interesting plans

Comment

Did the 305 have 170 hp? Wow, thats more then I was giving it. My '63
                    Avanti had been sitting for 7-10 years when I bought it. The fact the
                    81 Avanti is considerably newer makes it less of a fear to me. I just
                    put Marvel Mystery oil into the cylinders and fired up the engine. Its
                    ran now for 10 years, Only recently did I pull the cap and find that it
                    had a dual point distributor. I was looking at the core car, and tho
                    I didnt see it personally, it looked like safe potential. At least
                    with a car that looks like it needs everything, you get excited when
                    you find something it DOESNT need.

My Avanti LOOKS good in the pictures, and people are surprised when I
                    tell the list of what it needs. It just seemed like many were judging
                    this car solely on looks. It hadnt even been hit!! Fiberglass bodies
                    dont rust, only a '81 frame so its probably rust free ... nice start.

I havent looked to see what it sold for ....

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2
                    With the exception of someone at JDP's level of familiarity with getting long sitting non-running cars running again, this car would be a bit of a fright pig for the uninitiated. It was apparently last running 8 years ago ...... Except for sbca's plans for a drivetrain swap, the thrill of driving a 170 hp 305 may not be enough of a reward for all the time and effort.

Comment

Did the 305 have 170 hp? Wow, thats more then I was giving it. My '63
                      Avanti had been sitting for 7-10 years when I bought it. The fact the
                      81 Avanti is considerably newer makes it less of a fear to me. I just
                      put Marvel Mystery oil into the cylinders and fired up the engine. Its
                      ran now for 10 years, Only recently did I pull the cap and find that it
                      had a dual point distributor. I was looking at the core car, and tho
                      I didnt see it personally, it looked like safe potential. At least
                      with a car that looks like it needs everything, you get excited when
                      you find something it DOESNT need.

My Avanti LOOKS good in the pictures, and people are surprised when I
                      tell the list of what it needs. It just seemed like many were judging
                      this car solely on looks. It hadnt even been hit!! Fiberglass bodies
                      dont rust, only a '81 frame so its probably rust free ... nice start.

I havent looked to see what it sold for ....

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Thomas63R2
                      With the exception of someone at JDP's level of familiarity with getting long sitting non-running cars running again, this car would be a bit of a fright pig for the uninitiated. It was apparently last running 8 years ago ...... Except for sbca's plans for a drivetrain swap, the thrill of driving a 170 hp 305 may not be enough of a reward for all the time and effort.

Comment

$4221.91 was the selling price.

John Clements
                        Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                        Lockleys South Australia
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

John Clements
                          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                          Lockleys South Australia
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

WOW! I saw that number posted .. that makes me feel better, its not
                            going for parts! That is more then I thought it would go for, and it
                            is more then I would have paid for it (only because I couldnt afford
                            more), but I paid 3500 for my Avanti about 15 years ago and it didnt
                            even run or drive at the time.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Comment

WOW! I saw that number posted .. that makes me feel better, its not
                              going for parts! That is more then I thought it would go for, and it
                              is more then I would have paid for it (only because I couldnt afford
                              more), but I paid 3500 for my Avanti about 15 years ago and it didnt
                              even run or drive at the time.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

Comment

Working...
                              X