Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1966 commander with a 194,how many where made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Art,
    Sent you a PM. I'm interested in where you got the info on the actual production break down. I've got everything that's been published in turning wheels (I think) & don't have this kind of detail.
    Mike Sal

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
      I used to have a very nice 66 commander but from what I could find at the time it was the only one build like it, it had the 194 engine in a 2 door with a long stick floor shift like the taxi cabs used but don't think the cabs were 2 doors, a number of years ago can't remember what year it was but we had a big windstorm and a big limb of an oak tree came down and across the back roof section of the 66 taking out the rear window and doing big time damage to the roof I figured I would just make a convert. out of it but that Dec. of that year in turning wheels they did the article on the 66's and ran the production numbers and that's where I came up with one one built that way so then it changed from being a convert. but back to the original way, so it was fixed and came out nice, it was a pee green with black interior, I ended up selling it to a fellow in Mindon, Nevada as far as I know he still has it and likes the car , it sure did run out nice and shift like a dream one of those I should have not let get away.
      About 2 years ago here in the Phx area I almost bought a 1966 4 door painted that pea green with black interior. The car was a 283/3spd but a previous owner dropped in a 259(?), 3spd and older style rear en with the knockoff hubs. I would have bought the car but the lower body was badly rusted and the interior was trash. Apparently it sat under some trees where there was irrigation. Normally Phx cars have essentially zero rust except where the sun get's 'em.
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Mike Sal, and others: I got further information last week on my mint green Commander. It is serial number CI34006 and firewall tag S-F4. It was registered in Echo, Oregon to a Sandra Bridge around '95. I bought the car in Jackson, Georgia in July 2005. Does anyone have any information on the Oregon history and in between 1995 and 2005?
        Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
        65 Cruiser
        64 Champ
        40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

I can tell you that it was 287 from the end of six cylinder car production (C-134,293). The "I" that you post in the Serial Number is a 1 (one) C-134006
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Hi Mike, My fifteen year old daughter just purchased a 66 commander- 4 door, white, automatic, seems to be all original. V8 engine. Runs really well. We are looking for a part or two for the gas gauge that is non-functional.. do you have any resources I might tap? We are in Northern CA, near Eureka. Thanks!

Comment

Hi Ronda, Welcome to the Wonderful World of Studebaker (With apologies to Disney). I have found a new gage for you from a seller in Queensland Australia whom I use and is quick and reliable. The business is owned by Chris Skinner (Stude Dude on the forum). Here is the link, probably better to get a new one than repair the old, however others may have a different opinion.

http://www.studeparts.com.au/instruments.pdf

All the best with the car, the guys and gals on the forum will help and advise you as necessary. And don't forget the photos, we just love photos (laughs) as is often said.
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by chicoronda View Post
                Hi Mike, My fifteen year old daughter just purchased a 66 commander- 4 door, white, automatic, seems to be all original. V8 engine. Runs really well. We are looking for a part or two for the gas gauge that is non-functional.. do you have any resources I might tap? We are in Northern CA, near Eureka. Thanks!
                You might try Studebaker International or Studebakers West for the part(s) you are looking for. By-the-way that Commander sounds like a good way to get another young person into Studebakering.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                X