Ted Harbit's Tomato: First Muncie Runs 2011 w/pix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ted Harbit's Tomato: First Muncie Runs 2011 w/pix

Last evening (Wednesday, June 8), was Muncie Dragway's "regular" Test & Tune night. Ted Harbit was yet to run The Stude Tomato at Muncie with the new R3 engine, built after last year's "October Surprise." He elected to go last night despite the 90+ plus heat, although there was a good breeze and once the sun was lower in the sky, it wasn't too bad.

I had spent the day babysitting Wonder Tyke, a/k/a my grandson. Daughter and son-in-law's house is about a third of the way to Muncie, so I thought I'd finish the trip to Muncie and see Ted after daughter got home late afternoon.

'Twas a pleasant evening with few people on the strip; fewest I've ever seen on a Test & Tune Wednesday, but, then, I've only gone a half-dozen times. Anyway, this allowed Ted to run all he wanted.

Here's Ted, waiting for the lights to come down on one run. (Yes, he'll have to reinstall the front bumper before returning to The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race this fall):

And shortly after launch. Note how the car has picked up its front end by referencing the top of the guard rail's position across the centerline of the headlights. ('Hard to snap these at exactly the right time):

Muncie was running a full quarter-mile last evening, but Ted was dumping the clutch at the 1,000-foot post and coasting the last 320 feet of the quarter-mile. He wanted to see what the car would do in 60-foot times and the eighth-mile. He thought the engine was too fresh to push it the full quarter-mile as it was turning 5,700 rpm at the 1,000-foot post "and pulling hard," he said. (The car has a 4.56:1 rear axle in it.)

He made five runs total in the course of the evening. Here are the stats for all five runs in this order: 60-foot time / 1/8th-mile time / 1/8th-mile mph / 1/4-mile time / 1/4-mile mph. (Remember, he was off the gas at 1,000 feet and coasted through the quarter-mile traps on each run.):

1. 2.333 / 8.956 / 84.30 / 13.692 / 95.35

2. 2.110 / 8.627 / 84.92 / 13.330 / 95.70

3. 2.127 / 8.729 / 84.36 / 13.416 / 96.92

4. 2.165 / 8.677 / 84.80 / 13.443 / 93.98

5. 2.155 / 8.643 / 85.13 / 13.425 / 93.69

Ted was hoping for the 7s in the eighth, but, as you see, has a way to go for that. Here is what he had to say in a summary e-mail:

'Went to Muncie tonight. Bob came over around 6:30 and helped a lot. I put in a set of H8C plugs as when I tested three sets on the road at home, these seemed to look the best. It had the stock R 2 carb except for .101" secondary jets instead of stock .089".

Made all five runs shifting at 5500 and hitting the clutch at the 1000' mark. Shut the engine off and checked the plugs at the end of the strip. The H8C's look pretty good to me. Thankfully, the number one is not blue now. [Edit note: This had been a problem.]

On the second run I put in a set of QL53's and did the same thing and they look pretty good also.

On the third run I pulled the supercharger off and the R 2 carb and put on the 750. Bob got there as I was doing this and really appreciated his help. Surprising how much harder this is than it was 30 years ago.

I had taken off the 750 and soaked it overnight in carb cleaner and put it back together as it was flooding the engine before. I thought it was probably the needle/seat before but I put new ones in so don't know what the problem is. [Ed: It was still flooding.] I also had nitrophyl floats in it from a Toyota two barrel carb for use in the '51 years ago. I put in a pair of brass floats.

Edelbrock makes an 800 cfm so I'm thinking of ordering one of those. Sounds ridiculous putting an 800 carb on a Stude but the '51 had two 625's on it and seemed to like it and it was 299 inches.

Any comments or suggestions?

Oh, the times; they were about the same as at The Orphan Drags a couple weeks ago. All the eighth times were about 8.6 and 8.7 range with speeds about 84. The 1000' times were in the low 11's and the quarter times coasting the last 320 feet were in the mid 13's at 95 mph. It was turning about 5700 as near as I could tell at the 1000' mark which would make the speed about 100 mph.

There was a head wind of about 15 mph and the track was terrible compared to what it was a year ago. Best 60' time was 2.110. First one was 2.333 and spun badly. 'Never did get a good launch. Ted

All too soon, it was after 9PM. Ted felt he'd done as well as could be expected for the evening. Since nothing was broken (yee-haa!), it was time to load up and head for home:

Ted's prescribed exercise for 76-year-olds is exiting The Stude Tomato once it is on the truck:

Overall, a good evening at Muncie with a good friend and a fast Studebaker! 'Perfect ending to top a day that began watching 16-month-old grandson, for sure.

Good goin', Ted. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Good to see it is all back together again and let the tuning begin!
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

After looking at Greg Cone's R-5 (the real one) and knowing that supercharger belt slippage has been a problem on the R-3s, is there any reason why Ted couln't go to the cogged belt system used on the R-5? It was (theoretically) a stock Studebaker offering.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
        After looking at Greg Cone's R-5 (the real one) and knowing that supercharger belt slippage has been a problem on the R-3s, is there any reason why Ted couln't go to the cogged belt system used on the R-5? It was (theoretically) a stock Studebaker offering.
        'No reason why not, Paul, except a cog-belt drive would be outside the rules of The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race, where Ted wants to keep campaigning the car. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I know not everybody agrees, but BOY, do the Larks look much better with the bumper ON. I understand about weight savings for racing and all, I'm just talking appearance.

Thanks for posting, Bob. Never can see too many pictures of that car, or that driver
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Lookin' good Ted- nice to see it back on the track. I can't believe it has been nearly TEN YEARS since I drove up from Florida and saw the Studes tearin' it up at the PSMCDrags. Sweet Pea enjoyed giving you guys a ride home that Friday night, too.

One question, though~ I'm sure it's just an optical elusuion,
            but those tires look really really BIG to me...

Dare I ask what size is on it now?
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
              Lookin' good Ted- nice to see it back on the track. I can't believe it has been nearly TEN YEARS since I drove up from Florida and saw the Studes tearin' it up at the PSMCDrags. Sweet Pea enjoyed giving you guys a ride home that Friday night, too.

One question, though~ I'm sure it's just an optical elusuion,
              but those tires look really really BIG to me...

Dare I ask what size is on it now?
              Dave: They are P235/70R15s, IIRC. Perhaps P235/75s, but I'm 90% sure they are 70-series. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Dave: They are P235/70R15s, IIRC. Perhaps P235/75s, but I'm 90% sure they are 70-series. BP
                I was thinking they'd be that size or bigger~ thanks Bob.

I forgot to ask before-- where's the video?

StudeDave '57
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post

I forgot to ask before-- where's the video?

StudeDave '57
                  Geeze, Dave; I just comfortably figured out this photo posting thing in the last month! Let me catch my breath before we advance to moving objects, eh? <GGG> BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. That Tomato is such a nice car. Sounds like Ted's getting it dialed in. I'd like to see & hear it run sometime live.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                    X