Another Speedster Up for Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Speedster Up for Auction

A blue and white one sold last month for $62,000 (I think) and it will be interesting to see how this one does.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...86&entryRow=37
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
    https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

This car looks like the one the was in the background for the desplay cars on the TV Show; What is my classic car worth, that was on yesterday evening. Every time they showed the car to be rated for it's worth, right there befind it was a beautiful tritone Limonlime '55 Speedster. It stoled the show.

Comment

One of my top ten favorite Studebakers.

This one should be especially valuable, because it has some rare and some impossible options:
      - Hydramatic transmission
      - Edelbrock carburetor
      - Studebaker 259 CI engine bored to 289 CI

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

This one should be especially valuable, because it has some rare and some impossible options:

jack vines
        I agree, picking up 30 cubic inches from an over bore is quite a feat! How big would that make the cylinders? :-)
        Pat Dilling
        Olivehurst, CA
        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

- Hydramatic transmission
          - Edelbrock carburetor

jack vines
          Wow. Even rarer than my Lincoln Imperial.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

OOHHHH !! Back in the day !! If I knew then what I know now !!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              Wow. Even rarer than my Lincoln Imperial.
              I did ride in a Cadillac Imperial (the ONE made for 1934).
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Uh oh, you guys are scaring me now. Ok, that's my car and I confess I'm not really a car guy so I'm only repeating what the person who sold it to me told me about it being bored to a 289. I barely even know what that means, let alone whether it's impossible or not! The restorer (a different person) also told me they rebuilt and bored the engine but I'll call him again Monday for specifics and if I have it wrong I'll ask Mecum to change it.

I'm not sure what the comments about the carb and transmission meant but it definitely does have a non-original Edelbrock carb on it. The transmission was described to me by both the restorer and the person I bought it from as a modern hydromatic transmission, definitely not the original transmission.

Here's the thing. This is a fantastic car but I'm all about the looks and know almost nothing about the mechanicals of any car. I've discovered I'm way out of my league with this thing because I can't maintain it the way it should be. But a local guy (a member here) who knows a ton about Studebakers and owns a whole bunch of them (Avanti, GT Hawk, Packard Hawk, and others I can't remember) went over this car and drove it and said it's a great and amazing car.

And today I took it to the Chanhassan Motorplex as a guest of Bob & Kris Krowech (thanks again to Bob & Kris for a really fun time in an incredible place full of world class cars!). I'd say my car was a real crowd pleaser even when rolling amongst the Ferraris.

Oh, and the original Passmaster valve covers also come with the car in case anyone has an issue with those shiny ones.
                ---Kurt

Comment

Hi, Chris,

Welcome to SDC. Those of us who have been around for a while sometimes make a bit much about finer points which don't matter to most others.

Your car probably has a 289" crankshaft which has a longer stroke than the original 259", thus it is stroked, not bored. Not a big deal to anyone other than gearheads, but it is an improvement.

As to the transmission, that does make a difference to a prospective buyer. Hydramatic is a sixty-year-old term and unlikely you have that transmission. If your Speedster has a TurboHydramatic 350, it's worth more to some. If it has a TH700R4 even more to some others. Find out exactly which transmission is in there and correct the listing.

The Edelbrock carburetor is an improvement and was correctly described.

Bottom line - some want a strictly stock restored car, which you don't have. Some will appreciate a car with improvements, which you have, but just need the correct terminology.

jack vines
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 06-04-2011, 07:27 PM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

Thanks Jack, I appreciate the response. I'll get the correct info and report back, as well as updating the auction description.
                    ---Kurt

Comment

Hi, Chris,
                      -snip-
                      As to the transmission, that does make a difference to a prospective buyer. Hydramatic is a sixty-year-old term and unlikely you have that transmission. If your Speedster has a TurboHydramatic 350, it's worth more to some. If it has a TH700R4 even more to some others. Find out exactly which transmission is in there and correct the listing.
                      -snip-
                      jack vines
                      Hi Jack, that looks like a stock steering column to me, don't people have to run floor shifters or columns to run GM AT transmissions? Certainly it's not anywhere the stock DG250? shift detents.

Sorry if this is at all an obvious question.

Thanks,
                      -David

Comment

Jack beat me to it. You can stroke a 259 and make it a 289 with crank and piston swaps. I'm still getting a thrill from my freshened 259 bored 30 over. I'm guessing it's a 265 or better by now
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                          . I'm still getting a thrill from my freshened 259 bored 30 over. I'm guessing it's a 265 or better by now
                          Unless I calculated wrong (and someone will tell me), your engine is now a 263.
                          Last edited by studegary; 06-06-2011, 11:35 AM.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks, Gary. God, the questions one gets asked when you pull up at cruise night.
                            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Ok, here is the response I received from the restorer to my email:

"It has been bored 60 thousanths over. It has a 289 crank and 289 pistons so, for those "gearheads" it is bored and stroked. It has a Ted Harbitt R1 plus cam and an Edelbrock 4-bbl carb. As for the transmission, it is a 700R4 overdrive automatic."

Hopefully this clears up any misunderstandings. If not, please let me know, as I want to get the auction updated asap. Thanks.
                              ---Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              X