Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting the body

I'm ready to lift the body but before I hook up I have one question:

Where do I lift, or may be more importantly where do I NOT lift. I don't want to end up with a warped body.

The blog (in Dutch)
    The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

Tack weld some braces across the door frames. You can try lifting from the cowl to frame support but if your floors are solid there are floor to frame braces near the A pillar that would hold more weight. I have also seen a strap run through the doors, but it depends on the condition of the body. Good luck.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

It depends on what kind of equipment your going to use. Block & tackle from above or a twin post (side by side) hoist. Pictures of the "body drop" from the Studebaker plant usually showed straps at the rear wheel opening & 2 more up front from a point at the cowl. Being your car has a center post, that would help keep things right. Still though, remember to mark all the rubber bushings to make sure they return to the original point when you reinstall the body to the frame. Those used at the factory had various thicknesses that aligned door openings,ect.

I used a twin post hoist when I changed the frame on my 66. The swap went smoothly & I had no problems. I used the rocker panel pinch weld to raise the body off the frame. Something else I did that really helped aligning the body to the frame was at one location (cant remember which one) on the side of the frame a nut was welded in. I used a 2' section of threaded rod in those nuts & lowered the body. This made doing the work by myself a piece of cake. I drove the car on a friday night to the shop that I used, did the swap & drove home sunday.
      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
      64 Zip Van
      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Comment

Carl,

Thanks, No further questions. :-) I see you left the steering wheel in.

David and Warren, good tips. Thanks

I'll keep you informed.

Comment

It's off.

Comment

Lookin pretty solid. Lots to work with. Keep us posted, please.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Glad to see you are doing this car the right way!
                Off to the sandblasters soon??
                If you have any floor work to do it would be nice to borrow a "Good" roticery!
                Good Roads
                Brian
                Brian Woods
                woodysrods@shaw.ca
                1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Brian,

I plan to do the powdercoating of the frame first, thereafter the drive train and from there slowly up.
                  The body will have to wait it's turn. I'll have to save some €€'s first.

Comment

I'm just sitting here on my butt not contributing at all. But I do wonder about one thing. Why do all of you work so hard to 'lift' the body? Why not just lower the floor. (haha, made myself laugh.)

Comment

Originally posted by BobGlasscock View Post
                      I'm just sitting here on my butt not contributing at all. But I do wonder about one thing. Why do all of you work so hard to 'lift' the body? Why not just lower the floor. (haha, made myself laugh.)
                      The floor is already 12 feet below sea level. If that isn't enough ...

Comment

Now thats funny right there,I don't care who you are. Seriously though, nice workplace.

QUOTE=KJongenburger;551090]The floor is already 12 feet below sea level. If that isn't enough ...[/QUOTE]
                        Frank van Doorn
                        Omaha, Ne.
                        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I know what they call those. If you're working in the railroad backshops, or you like your steam trains, they call those inspection pits. Just pull the locomotive in, climb down underneath so you can view the wheels and traction motors, and whatever ones that need servicing are dropped down into the pit.
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

I look forward to getting my car to that point. It should be tons of fun trying to do that in a one-car garage!
                            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

[QUOTE]
                              Originally Posted by BobGlasscock

The floor is already 12 feet below sea level. If that isn't enough ... (He lives in the Netherlands...get it?)

Well played, sir!
                              Last edited by Lothar; 05-26-2011, 09:46 PM.
                              John
                              1950 Champion
                              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                              Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                              X