replied
    Thanks Chris,and every one else as well
    Dave.

Leave a comment:

• stude dude
    replied
    [QUOTE=davepink53;548844]
    Originally posted by stupak View Post
    Dave: What kind of 'trouble'? There are a multitude of original style '63 Avanti batteries that work well.

The alternator is not funtioning properly and cooked the battery on our recent 9000 klm trip. 3EE type batteries are not available in Australia. We had the old battery rebuilt last year, but it would be good if a regular battery could be used. Had thuoght about Optima, but believe they are quite expensive!
    Dave.
    Hi Dave & Mick, those 3EE batteries are still available but they are now under a new number (which I have forgotten!). I will find it and send you a private message. I know of companies in Brisbane and Sydney who are stocking them.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    If you do put a battery in the trunk use one like the Optima that uses AGM (absorbed glass mat) contruction. These are a sealed battery & dont give off any fumes, no worries of spilled acid & no need to vent to the outside or be set in a case. Heavy guage welding wire to the solenoid & a short ground wire to the frame & you should be in business. I would run an additional ground from the frame to the engine up front, otherwise the light guage wire existing will be burned up. I use a nice fat strap that is found on early 80's Mercedes diesels (123 chassis) that run from the body to the bell housing on the left side.

Leave a comment:

• edpjr
    replied
    My '63 has a the trunk mounted battery. I shelled out $140 for a very powerful one. It works great and I love NOT having it under the hood.

Originally posted by davepink53 View Post
    Hi All. We are having trouble with Mick's '63 R1 Avanti Battery. Has anyone fitted a standard shape battery in the engine bay? I have heard that someone makes a fibreglass box that you can graft in (wish we had done that when the motor was out, before we repainted it) Is there room to somehow mount one in there without major modifacations? Thanks in advance.
    Dave...

Leave a comment:

• davepink53
    replied
    [QUOTE=stupak;548752]Dave: What kind of 'trouble'? There are a multitude of original style '63 Avanti batteries that work well.

The alternator is not funtioning properly and cooked the battery on our recent 9000 klm trip. 3EE type batteries are not available in Australia. We had the old battery rebuilt last year, but it would be good if a regular battery could be used. Had thuoght about Optima, but believe they are quite expensive!
    Dave.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    I've seen a '63 Avanti with two Optima 6V batteries in series in the same space as the 3EE battery. An expensive way to go, though.

I believe a trunk mounted battery would definitely have a positive effect on handling...getting some serious weight off the front end of a car with a bad front weight bias already and shifting it to the trunk.

If you put the battery in the trunk, you'll need an extra heavy gauge positive battery cable for the long run to the starter solenoid.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by davepink53 View Post
    Hi All. We are having trouble with Mick's '63 R1 Avanti Battery. Has anyone fitted a standard shape battery in the engine bay? I have heard that someone makes a fibreglass box that you can graft in (wish we had done that when the motor was out, before we repainted it) Is there room to somehow mount one in there without major modifacations? Thanks in advance.
    Dave...
    You might want to consider mounting a regular battery in the trunk. It solves the "odd battery" problem, cleans up the under hood area and it does actually improve handling too. The '63 R-1 that I bought from UK had two six volt batteries (mounted in series) in the trunk and I could tell a definite difference in the handling.

Leave a comment:

• stupak
    replied
    Dave: What kind of 'trouble'? There are a multitude of original style '63 Avanti batteries that work well. I for one would not cobble up a '63 just to change battery types. stupak

Leave a comment:

• davepink53
    started a topic Avanti Battery

Avanti Battery

Dave...
Working...
X