Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning point ? Sale my 53 ?

I may be at a point, in my life, where I need to change direction,
    One of my hobbies has always been cars. The other is birdwatching.
    Of course, you can guess which one is the most expensive. After this
    recent tornado, I may have to look at having only one hobby. Of course
    it will have to be birdwatching. That brings me to the question at hand.
    Some of you have seen my car, and know what it is like. Would anyone
    tell me what you think it would sell for. If you have seen it, or only seen
    it on the forum. Be honest, you won't hurt my feelings.Thanks, Tex

Can't say as I can tell you the value, Tex, but I do have to say I always felt the 53 was about the best looking car (in my eyes, anyways).
    I hope all is going as well as it can be during the cleanup and recovery you are going through. Sad to see that you may be dropping a hobby, but I do understand where you are coming from.
    Wish I was in a place (physically and financially) to help out.
    Good luck, be safe, and be well.
    Steven

Comment

Tex

I also admire the 53 and hope you can find a way to keep it.

But in my mind the only way to really judge the value is to put in on Ebay with an insane reserve and see where it goes. If it doesn't make the reserve, you'll have a feel for the value. If you want to sell it and the final price below the reserve is a price you could sell it for is acceptable to you, offer it to the final bidder as a second chance bid or relist it with a Buy-It-Know price and tell the high bidder you are doing it.

Look at JDP's listings or have him do the listing to get the best exposure.

Bob

Comment

I may be at a point, in my life, where I need to change direction,
        Yes, you may, in fact, have done everything you want to do with your '53 and it is time to change directions.

No, there are reasons and there are excuses. The tornado damage can be either. Only you will know for sure and that will be way down the road when you know for sure.

Maybe, wait a bit, let the shock of the tornado wear off. You can always sell your '53, but you can't always get it back.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

i agree with mr.vines' "maybe" answer. take a deep breath, wait a little while, then decide...
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I used to fly-fish a lot. When I bought a 4x4 to get to some backwoods streams, I discovered I really enjoyed the 4 wheeling. I combined the 2 hobbies. Then, since I only did the catch & release thing with the fish, I bought a pretty good point and shoot camera. That turned into another hobby. I took it everywhere! I combined all 3 hobbies! Since I got the Packard, the fishing and 4 wheeling have taken a "back seat." I still get out, but only once or twice a year. I still have all my equipment, including my built Toyota 4x4. A couple of years ago I bought a really good camera (DSLR) and it goes with me to club events, car cruises, shows, 4 wheeling, and fishing. Keep your car and look for ways to combine your interests. You will enjoy both even more. One of my favorite fishing holes takes a stout 4x4 to get to, but it is quite picturesque once you arrive!
            Carey
            Packard Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
              i agree with mr.vines' "maybe" answer. take a deep breath, wait a little while, then decide...
              I agree. A '53 in hand is worth two in the bush. Sorry. Seriously, though, take your time and good luck with your sale if it's absolutely necessary. There are days when that might make the best sense to all of us. Tough decision. Best of luck.

Comment

Flashback, I would have to agree....wait a while before selling the Sat. Night Special...you may regret selling it down the road. You have gone through some serious trauma this past while, and thankfully no one was hurt. Now it's only normal for you to reflect on your life, and what is important to you, and the value of material goods such as the Stude pale in comparison to what is really important in a person's life. A while down the road you may still want to sell the car, or perhaps you may realize the true value it holds to you, rather than the market value, after all, it's a car you've wanted for a long time, and you did put your sweat into it. As for me and my Stude many people have offered me some serious money for it, but the answer remains the same...'not for sale'. My youngest daughter asked me if I'd take 50 grand for it, and I said no way. She thought I was crazy, but she has no idea how much sentinmental value it has to me. What ever you choose, there is no right or wrong choice...just urging you to give it a while before you choose. Regards, Junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Tex, give yourself some time to recover/rebound/reconsider.

I want to say more, but won't.
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Let's get down to brass tax; the car has some great selling points. It is solid, has original paint or what is left of it, and the car is still Studebaker powered. Being that the car has not been customized like mine, it could be restored or even street rodded. Your car is still built like a Studebaker so the shop manual is relavant, mine in some ways takes the man who built it to fully understand how it works. Your car has some great craftsmanship done to it and has a really clean engine bay and interior, looks good, and sounds good. The average 53 C/K probably runs around $10,000 for a driver. Your car is obviously worth much more because it can be driven home long distances by the buyer. I believe a C/K is a car which cannot be accurately appraised. Their value went up as others cars have gone down and there aren't so many. A modified car is basically influenced so greatly by the owner's opinion that a buyer may not like it, whereas a stock vehicle is STOCK. It is as was new. Your car has had some modifications others may not like, all modified cars have. I can't name anything because there is nothing I do not like about your car. Just remember, each C/K left out there is unique. They all sound different, drive different, and feel different.
                    Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                    Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                    Lizella, GA

Comment

Maybe, wait a bit, let the shock of the tornado wear off. You can always sell your '53, but you can't always get it back.

Wise words from Jack, plus my 2 cents worth, I've never thought selling something that you value, that you can no longer buy new, is a good idea.]

Comment

Working...
                      X