Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• edpjr
    replied
    I understand the frustration of trying to locate an original R2 engine or even finding out the disposition of it. My Avanti 63R-2333 came with engine RS-1591. I've been seeking info for two years now about whether this engine still exists or not. Haven't gotten a clue yet.

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
    I recently bought a 63 Avanti R2, 4 speed, that has undergone several engine changes over the years, and no longer has a correct R2 engine and have traced the original sale in 1963 to the present; it was once an R4 and it spent most, if not all, of its life in or around Harrisonburg Va. A frame off will be started this winter and the plan is to return it to bonafide R2 status if the parts can be found. At this point I need a salvageable R2 motor and its associated supercharger parts. The original engine is RS-1519 but there little hope of finding it. Please let me know if you can help. Ken, Deltaville Va

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
    The spacing is the same....width wise on R3 manifolds. However the center ports have a round pipe plug screwed in that blocks the heat riser passeges(in the heads). The R3 end ports (main branches) are much different than standard heads.
    The ports are much much taller and if you tried to bolt up a R3-R4 manifold to stock heads, the ports would be uncovered and it wouldn't run!!!
    There are aftermarket R4 LOOKING manifolds made to fit standard heads, but, they are not R4 just because there are two 4 bbl carbs.
    Thanks Brad, that's the answer I was looking for.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
    Just interested to know, that if you have a dual quad manifold on a Stude engine does the manifold's runners match the standard Studie R2 heads or do the heads have to be R3 B heads which have a wider spacing on the middle two runners.
    The spacing is the same....width wise on R3 manifolds. However the center ports have a round pipe plug screwed in that blocks the heat riser passeges(in the heads). The R3 end ports (main branches) are much different than standard heads.
    The ports are much much taller and if you tried to bolt up a R3-R4 manifold to stock heads, the ports would be uncovered and it wouldn't run!!!
    There are aftermarket R4 LOOKING manifolds made to fit standard heads, but, they are not R4 just because there are two 4 bbl carbs.

Leave a comment:

• 63r2
    replied
    Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
    PB the R3-4 heads are a completely differant configuration on the center runners ----you missed my point completely.
    Fair enough, point missed.
    pb

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...umber-Question

Originally posted by studefan View Post
    Jeff, can you provide the engine number on that JTS please? Jeff

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    Originally posted by 63r2 View Post
    Brian
    I assume they fit the standard motor.
    I'm sure one of the boys here has installed the R4 manifold on a standard 289 motor (unless it is not a factory manifold).
    Next time your talking to Duane ask him. It's on his 64 Conv.
    Jack
    I drove an R4 engined Avanti 3 weeks ago . Obviously it was a Grannatelli installed version in the 70's but non the less a complete R4 serialled motor.pb
    PB the R3-4 heads are a completely differant configuration on the center runners ----you missed my point completely.

Leave a comment:

• unimogjohn
    replied
    You might want to give the Myers or Solanki a call. At one time they both had engines or they can refresh yours.

http://www.myersstudebaker.com/

http://solankiperformance.com/index.html

Leave a comment:

• 63r2
    replied
    Brian
    I assume they fit the standard motor.
    I'm sure one of the boys here has installed the R4 manifold on a standard 289 motor (unless it is not a factory manifold).
    Next time your talking to Duane ask him. It's on his 64 Conv.
    Jack
    I drove an R4 engined Avanti 3 weeks ago . Obviously it was a Grannatelli installed version in the 70's but non the less a complete R4 serialled motor.
    pb

Leave a comment:

• packardHawk58
    replied
    Just interested to know, that if you have a dual quad manifold on a Stude engine does the manifold's runners match the standard Studie R2 heads or do the heads have to be R3 B heads which have a wider spacing on the middle two runners.

Leave a comment:

• studefan
    replied
    Jeff, can you provide the engine number on that JTS please? Jeff

Leave a comment:

• KOOL R2
    replied
    This seems odd to me. The engine in my factory numbers match R2 Avanti Serial number 63R1653 has engine number RS 1322.
    I wonder if the factory numbered R1 engines in a different sequence to the R2's ???

Peter Sant
    KOOL R2

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Ken,
    I have a legit JTS engine that is currently hooked to a Powershift, but was originally a 4 speed GT Hawk.
    I have a later supercharger and brackets, but am missing the proper water manifold and some other small pieces.
    If your search does not turn up a good prepped R2, then this JTS might make a good starting point to rebuild one.
    Jeff

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Hi, Ken,

FWIW, beware of patched together junk. From what you say, you are doing your car correctly. There many wannabe R2s in Larks and in garages which come on the market if the price is right. Know what you are looking for or take someone with you who does.

The R2 engines are out there; all it takes is money. To build an R2 long block correctly is at minimum $3,000 and then another $3,000 for the rebuilt supercharger and bracketry, carburetor, oil pan and show quality chrome.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Jack, the current engine is R-1322, I'm told it is an R1 engine,
    Then by far your least expensive route would be to put R2 heads and supercharger assembly on your current R1 engine. The short blocks are the same; there is no difference other than the serial number.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• ken-renda
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
    Ken will have to confirm this, but his original post didn't specify which engine, if any, is in his Avanti at present. If he's building a correct show car, he'll want an R2 block with the correct serial number. If he just wants one which runs like an R2, any 224", 259" or 289" block will get him there.

only adding this because anything on the internet usually comes up on some search and gets passed around as mis-information; there were no factory Avanti R4s. I've seen a couple of Avanti with R4 intakes installed on them, but never seen a true R4-serially numbered engine in an Avanti. Your results may vary.

jack vines
    Jack, the current engine is R-1322, I'm told it is an R1 engine, so yes it does hace a current engine. Not sure exactly when the two fours were installed and which engine was involved, but I knew it was not factoy as a previous owner had it done locally sometime prior to 1977. I would like to find orginal engine but know it is not likely, next choice is a Studebaker manufacured R2. Ken

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by bige View Post
    If it's an Avanti engine in there why not build it to R2 specs since the original engine is not available?

"The original engine is RS-1519 but there little hope of finding it."

Shouldn't an original R2 engine number be an RSJ prefix?

ErnieR
    No, it should be RS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X