Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone shed some light on this item?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can anyone shed some light on this item?

    Does anyone know anything about this Studebaker accessory heater? I know in some accessory catalogs and listings for 1929-1931, Studebaker offered after market car heaters made by Hadees and Tropic Aire. But I did not know they had someone make Heaters with the Studebaker Logo. A close-up look of where the logo is shows that it's not just someone sticking on a Studebaker logo on a heater, you can see where the metal of the heater actually is formed around the logo indicating it was manufactured item. Does anyone know who the manufacturer was, and what year Studebaker this would have been for?
    Attached Files

  • #2
    I'd bet that emblem was just glued on there .
    sigpic

    Home of the Fried Green Tomato

    "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

    1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

    Comment


    • #3
      On the later trucks Evans Products manufactured the in-cab heaters for Studebaker, and has the 'red-ball' logo on the front of it. The color and Hammertone finish the adjustable doors have on that unit in the photos is similar to the Evans housing.

      Craig
      Last edited by 8E45E; 05-11-2011, 11:09 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
        I'd bet that emblem was just glued on there .
        That was also my first reaction when I first saw this accessory item, but if you click on the attached picture and look closely at where the logo is, you can see where the metal of the heater is formed around the outline of the Studebaker logo, indicating that it was actually designed and manufactured that way. This is why I posted it to see if anyone was familiar with this, has seen one before, or could shed some light as to year of Studebaker this was made for.

        Comment


        • #5
          OK ....see what you mean ....just maybe it is correct. Richard Quinn will likely know .
          sigpic

          Home of the Fried Green Tomato

          "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

          1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm betting it is 1934-37 vintage.

            Terry

            Comment


            • #7
              To me, the honeycomb webbing of the heater core, and the logo design, would suggest that the heater is of the 1920's and early to mid '30's.

              The science of the design for a "re-circulating" air heater is excellent. The intake is on the bottom where it picks up the coldest air to circulate through the heat exchanger.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

              SDC member since 1975

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                OK ....see what you mean ....just maybe it is correct. Richard Quinn will likely know .

                Indeed. That heater was first offered in the 1935 model year. It was the least expensive of three available at the time and was called "The Junior" model, (there was also a "DeLuxe" and "Standard" both having a similar design with the wheel logo). The part number was AC 340 and the installed list was $10.95. I have one like it out in the attic of the garage.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  Indeed. That heater was first offered in the 1935 model year. It was the least expensive of three available at the time and was called "The Junior" model, (there was also a "DeLuxe" and "Standard" both having a similar design with the wheel logo). The part number was AC 340 and the installed list was $10.95. I have one like it out in the attic of the garage.
                  Well if anyone has a 1935 Model then they might be interested as it is for sale now on Ebay for the next for days and ending on May 15th;

                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

                  Dick, do you have any pictures of what the Tropic Aire or HaDees Heater's for 1929-1930 may have looked like? I have this one (See below) but I have not been able to track down any advertisements or other documentation to determine the exact year it applied to, I have found some ads which are of that era that are close to it, but not this exact one yet.
                  Attached Files

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FE- L2 - 57 View Post
                    Well if anyone has a 1935 Model then they might be interested as it is for sale now on Ebay for the next for days and ending on May 15th;

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

                    Dick, do you have any pictures of what the Tropic Aire or HaDees Heater's for 1929-1930 may have looked like? I have this one (See below) but I have not been able to track down any advertisements or other documentation to determine the exact year it applied to, I have found some ads which are of that era that are close to it, but not this exact one yet.


                    Studebaker did not begin marketing its own accessories until Oct 1930. Prior to that date dealers sold whatever aftermarket accessories they could purchase from independent vendors. While there is a heater shown in the 1931 accessory catalog (Oct 1930) it was of the floor mounted type that used the heat from the exhaust pipe to heat the car. The very first firewall mounted type was introduced in late 1931 under part nos AC 20, 21, and 25 as shown in the image above. The first heater to have the Studebaker name on it was in later in 1932, there was also a Rockne model heater.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not trying to hijack the thread, but it reminded me of another heater that I recall in cars of the 30's. It was the South Wind which was fueled by gasoline and provided very quick heat.
                      "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        South Wind was a trade name used by Stewart Warner for a heater line used in auto and aeromotive applications.
                        Jim
                        Often in error, never in doubt
                        http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

                        ____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I can't come up with a picture-ad for that exact HaDees heater, but the style puts it at c. 1930. They were made by Liberty Founderies, which apparently was a subsidiary of Burd Piston Ring Co.
                          The pic below is the same Tropic Aire heater that D.Q. shows, except this one is captioned '1930 Cadillac'.

                          http://www.classicaccessories.org/images/HWH001.jpg
                          Last edited by Dwain G.; 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM. Reason: better pic & spelling
                          AL SORAN RACING

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                            I can't come up with a picture-ad for that exact HaDees heater, but the style puts it at c. 1930. They were made by Liberty Founderies, which apparently was a subsidiary of Burd Piston Ring Co.[/url]
                            Dwain, if you or anyone else runs across any literature that shows the year of that Hadees heater please let me know (studebaker1929@yahoo.com), I always like to try to have on hand any documentation that verifies the authenticity and YOM of any items on my car, especially era specific after market items.
                            Attached Files

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              My 27 Dictator has two floor mounted radiant exhaust heat units, one directly in front of the front seat and one immediately behind it. The name on the control cable is CHANSON.

                              Terry

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X