1950 Striker Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Striker Plates

Once again I need a little advice (Won't be the last time I guess).

I found my striker plates painted. All 4 of them. Like this:

Now when I started to clean the up a pair of gems appeared from under the paint. Beautifully polished, including the screw heads.

Since I would like to restore the car to a more or less original state I wonder: Was Studebaker, back in September of 1949 crazy enough to polish the strikerplates and the screwhead and thereafter hide their work behind a layer of paint?

Do I paint them with the body or should I leave them shining?
    The Blog: http://dutchstuderesto.wordpress.com

I noticed the same with my '54's. They looked so good I decided to clear coat them and leave them unpainted. Eager to hear responses from other forum members.
    Bob

Comment

They were painted from the factory.

Comment

Thanks for the info Roy,

Now I have the dilemma. Do I hide these beauties under paint or do I show the incredible craftsmanship and quality of the Studebaker factory. I found the hinges have polished screws too.

Last edited by KJongenburger; 05-10-2011, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I have new screws that will make it look great! I painted the latches on my 52, used the stainless screws!

Jim
          "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
          their Memorials!

Comment

You can spray them with clear paint.

Comment

Whats the finish that leaves them looking amber/brassy? That would be good. Otherwise, I would clearcoat them, to heck with being bone stock.
              Last edited by Lothar; 05-10-2011, 10:33 PM. Reason: Clarify end result
              John
              1950 Champion
              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
              Holdrege NE

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                Whats the finish that leaves them looking amber/brassy? ...
                John.

At the moment there is no finish. The yellow glow is from the lamp above my table, the camera would normally compensate for this but since I used the flash also it takes the white balance bias for flash.

Last edited by KJongenburger; 05-11-2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X