Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the front clip from a 53 Commander fit on a 55?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jeryst, If you can get the entire front clip for cheap, then this should be slam dunk. I would certainly go for it. Good luck on the project.
    sals54

Comment

I talked to the owner today. He said the front floors are bad, and the floor is also bad around some of the body mounts.
      We can have the front floors replaced, but what about where the body mounts are? I dont know anything about how
      much that entails.

Comment

no rust 54 k body 713 498 1993 project all the hard work done has had no repair to floor are trunk not a salt belt car

Comment

Originally posted by jeryst View Post
          I talked to the owner today. He said the front floors are bad, and the floor is also bad around some of the body mounts.
          We can have the front floors replaced, but what about where the body mounts are? I dont know anything about how
          much that entails.
          jeryst

My 54K was in the condition you seem to be describing for the 55 you are looking at. I was lucky that the frame was in reasonable shape and I had the time to burn to do all the body work including floors and braces which I made. I can't begin to describe the amount of work you are about to embark on. If you do it yourself it will take countless hours and if you hire it done, the body shop will have a nice down payment on a vacation home.

I did mine as a retirement project so time was not a problem and I have enough metal skills to make and install panels. Even at that, when I was finished I was burned out on body work and painting.

That said, when you look at the cost of the 55, the work involved and the conversion to a 53/54, Start looking for a decent 53/54 and buy it. You will be money and time ahead.

And lastly, Again, my frame was decent, Check the 55's frame closely as few rusted bodies have decent frames and on the K series, hog troughs.

I'm not going to waste forum space but if you want, I can provide a couple of shots of the 54K underside in progress on the rotisserie to show the amount of metal that resides in the floors, troughs and rocker panels.

JMHO, Bob
          Last edited by sweetolbob; 05-11-2011, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oltrknut View Post
            I dont think anyone has mentioned that the 53 54 complete nose wont be so easy to find nor will it be cheap .
            Note my post of 1:57 PM on 5/9 (no. 4).
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X