Indiana Toll Road Booths- Automated ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indiana Toll Road Booths- Automated ?

I can save alot of time if I take I-80 to South Bend but I had trouble with the toll booth last year.
    There were no humans to take my money !
    It was all automated and to me, confusing.
    I finally got it figured out but that has been a year ago and I can't remember how it worked.
    Anyone from the area know if there is a website I could go to to study how it works.
    I don't want to stop traffic behind me any longer than I have to.

Thanks,
    fstst56

If it is like it has always been when you get on 80-90 toll road you are just issued a ticket at the first toll booth. You don't pay until you get off at your respective exit which is manned. It has to be this way or they would not know how much to charge you since each exit has a different total charge depending on the distance travelled.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Last trip I made , they were unmanned , you pushed a button to get a ticket , when you exited you just put your ticket in a slot ....it told you the price and it excepted paper money ,giving you your change.
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Illinois has electronic I-Pass that is also accepted in Indiana. I think their version is called the Zoom Pass you just drive through and a sensor scans a sensor in the car and they debit a account you have set-up. Saves alot of time when travel toll-roads in Illinois.

Comment

I think the other half of the confusion stems from Illinois and Indiana now have IPass and IZoom. I had one of these great little buggers on the Lark when I went to NIU in DeKalb. These programs provide you with a transponder that you put your money into via check or credit card, and then you don't have to pay at the tollbooth. In the last couple of years they automated the system where the drivers can pass the tollbooth completely. As you pass under the active device at road speed, the receiver overhead deducts from your account with the transponder. If you're from out of state, a driver can get easily confused and will pass with the traffic with the transponders. These lanes are in the center, and the traditional tollbooths are far off to the right, so watch the upcoming signs before the interchange.

Yeah, prior to IZoom, Indiana utilized the ticket system. All you had to do was pull up to the booth, take the ticket, and take off. At the point you left the tollway, an operator took your ticket, and you paid the amount on the distance from where you received the ticket.
          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Like 2R5 said, there was no human there to take my money when I got off.
            Do you have to have exact change then ?
            Will it take credit cards.
            I don't have I-Pass or IZoom.

Comment

Originally posted by fstst56 View Post
              I can save alot of time if I take I-80 to South Bend but I had trouble with the toll booth last year.
              There were no humans to take my money ! It was all automated and to me, confusing.<<<Thanks,
              fstst56
              http://www.slate.com/id/2138950/ our Indiana Toll Road to foreigners, I only use it once or twice a year ...at most!

Comment

Just make sure you have a few $1 bills with you
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  Just make sure you have a few $1 bills with you
                  A few FLAT, UNCRINKLED, $1 bills. Sometimes it dosen't like to accept wrinkled paper money. Trust me, I know... (I use the toll road a couple times each month)
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

The Toll Road has been going through a transitional period for the last several years to convert it to an automated (humanless) system. You push a button to get your ticket when you get on and put it back in the machine for your toll when you get off. Kind of like a parking garage. As far as I know, all the exits now accept credit cards. Transponders from Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania are all supposed to work. I have used our Indiana issued transponder in all those states without any problems. If you want to make sure or have questions, you can call them at 1-888-496-6690.

Comment

I believe the Tool Road was "leased out" not sold,

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

Sold it seems to Spanish and Australian interests. Nothing to worry about as it's not likely they can take the road away, hopefully make enough to maintain them.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I quit using the tool road after the "lease". The last time I drove the E45 to York the tool from South Bend to east point was 4.50. Not bad. But when we went to Lancaster, drove the E45 and towed the 25 ft travle trailer, the tool from South Bend to east point was 12.50. My wheels haven't touched that road since. Jim

Comment

get used to tolls roads, and special tax on cars that get good "MPG". Va is consideritng a 60 mile "private" toll road that is proposed to cost $11-12 per trip and states and, perhaps the feds ,are looking a "gas" tax on electric type cars. More money for politicians to abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
                              Sold it seems to Spanish and Australian interests. Nothing to worry...<<<
                              Nothing to worry ...at this time as we can still pay the toll using American money.

Come July 1, we'll be paying 20% MORE American Dollars to use our Indiana Toll Road (Interstate 80/90) as the Euro and the Australian Dollar continue to gain ground against our US Dollar.

Oh well, its only money and besides, think about all those "treasures" just waiting to be discovered this weekend at the SB Swap Meet!!!
                              Last edited by Welcome; 05-03-2011, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X