Finally caught up, THERE, boy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally caught up, THERE, boy!

Was reading in the June C&D about the Toyota “Unintended Acceleration” scare.Just as in the similar Audi scare of several years ago, the DOT determined the problem was “driver error”. Which is neither here nor there in this thread.

What IS interesting is that I learned that the auto trans of the Toyotas has the same feature as the Studebaker Automatic Drive of '50-'55, that of being able to shift into reverse while going forward, without tearing up the trans. And it only took 'em 50 years to catch up. Most Stude freaks know that when you are going forward above a certain speed (I think 10 mph) the Studebaker Automatic Drive would just go into neutral if you shifted into R. I did this many times when I was dating in my parents' '51 or '52 Land Cruiser. Thot it was cool to see the faces of my dates when I did it. Terror.

Are you CRAZEE? Put that thing back in Drive before you tear it up!” was the usual response. I often wondered what the guy behind me thot when he saw the back-up lights come on.

But I only did it once when my father was in the car. “I don't care if it IS a safety feature. Don't you EVER do that again! And I mean EVER!” Some parents! NOOO confidence!

And one more thing—don't try it in a Flight-O-Matic. They NEVER caught up!

John
    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 04-29-2011, 04:26 PM.

Not all Stude automatic transmissions were like that.
    I can assure you that you can shift a Borg-Warner in a '61 Hawk from Low to Reverse at about 30 mph and it will go into reverse.
    Makes the LDL dance so much more exciting
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'd think that going into reverse at 30 mph would not only be "...exciting..." but also give the strength of the entire drivetrain a good test. It might also put a stripe in your skivvies!

John

Comment

I must be tired. It took me a few minutes to figure out what the LDL dance was.
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
          I'd think that going into reverse at 30 mph would not only be "...exciting..." but also give the strength of the entire drivetrain a good test. It might also put a stripe in your skivvies!

John
          In the old DG200 or DG250, even shifting in to reverse at 80 mph can best be described as a very slow waltz.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
          X