Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery R2 Carb... any ideas of what or why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bige
    replied
    Here's a usable top on a Corvette carb on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-CO...Q5fAccessories

I was mistaken in saying the tops are identical. There's one hole in the back ( see picture ) that would need to be plugged. I would fill it with Alumalloy and then glass bead the top. Anyway, picture of my real R2 top and Corvette top side by side, only the most astute observer would have to notice the hole filled in the back to tell the difference.

I see that all 3721 SB Corvette carbs for sale do not have the same top. See the picture of the carb looking straight down. It's those four holes alongside the vent tubes that are present on R1's but not R2's.

Also, the choke heat tube, the 1.5" tube coming off the back is pinched shut on an R2 left open you would send boost to the choke.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AFB Top 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1667993Click image for larger version

Name:	AFB Top 002.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1667995Click image for larger version

Name:	458245857_tp.jpg
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	1667994

ErnieR
    Last edited by bige; 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    Cheaper than you think. I paid less than $60 with shipping and if you look at the completed listings on ebay there aren't many high dollar Chevy Carbs. The tops have nothing to go bad so you can buy a wreck of a carb and still get what you need.

I think carbs are still "mysteries" to a lot of people and if it isn't shiny and brand new they go cheaply, except for the R2 AFB's. I bought a Edelbrock 650 Thunder Series on ebay for $75 a few years ago. It had some grease on it and bent throttle linkage. It would have been a great deal except after I straightened the linkage I was checking it and it flipped out of my hands and landed on the front fender of the Avanti parked some 3 feet away. Ripped through the cover and put a 2 inch gouge in the fiberglass. So, altogether the carb cost me about the same as a new one $400 bucks. BTW, I have it on my El Camino now, never even opened it up.

ErnieR

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Originally posted by bige View Post
    That top wouldn't work on an R2 it has five vent holes on the top. I bought a 60's Corvette AFB for the top and idle compensator. If anyone cares I can post a picture and a number tomorrow. The tops are identical to the R2's except for the label.

ErnieR
    I'd love that, but I expect a 60 vette carb is not cheap either.

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    That top wouldn't work on an R2 it has five vent holes on the top. I bought a 60's Corvette AFB for the top and idle compensator. If anyone cares I can post a picture and a number tomorrow. The tops are identical to the R2's except for the label.

ErnieR

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    A little research on ebay shows a Buick AFB with the Studebaker style fuel inlet, Maybe that is what Tbow uses to clone the Avanti carb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/-_W0Q...Q5fAccessories

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
    Yep, looks to be a Pontiac, Buick, or the 63 Corvette top. The Carter carbs were not limited to Studebaker, as GM used them quite a bit too. The good thing(and maybe bad thing) is the parts will interchange rather easily, so somebody could build a functional R2 carburetor from other makes parts and pieces, without needing a second R2 carburetor. I have seen the tops and other Carter variations at the Brand X meets, so the tops and parts are not as uncommon. However much like the R2 nonevented tops, the nonvented tops that were on the Corvette setups are getting a little harder to come by, so a rebuilt carb will be a little more expensive than its vented brethren.
    TBow "makes" R2 carbs out of brand X parts, but he finds a top with the correct fuel inlet. Buick or Pontiac I think.

Leave a comment:

• jrlemke
    replied
    Ford also used AFB's on some Lincolns. I think Buick used the d/s rear inlet in the late 50's.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Speed 53
    replied
    Had a similar carb that I got in a parts lot deal and was told it was a Dave T repop. Dave is a great guy! but the carb was not so glad I sold it. Ed

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    The Carter carbs were not limited to Studebaker, as GM used them quite a bit too.
    Not only GM, as Mopar and AMC also used AFBs on their high-performance engines in the late '50s-mid-'60s.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    Yep, looks to be a Pontiac, Buick, or the 63 Corvette top. The Carter carbs were not limited to Studebaker, as GM used them quite a bit too. The good thing(and maybe bad thing) is the parts will interchange rather easily, so somebody could build a functional R2 carburetor from other makes parts and pieces, without needing a second R2 carburetor. I have seen the tops and other Carter variations at the Brand X meets, so the tops and parts are not as uncommon. However much like the R2 nonevented tops, the nonvented tops that were on the Corvette setups are getting a little harder to come by, so a rebuilt carb will be a little more expensive than its vented brethren.

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Originally posted by bige View Post
    Didn't see JDP post, not an R2 base, not an R2 carb. The non-vented tops were on a few different AFB's. Stude linkage, though, R! carb maybe with a non-vented top for use with the blower.

ErnieR

Looks like someone built a carb that will bolt on a R2 and work, although not show correct. Looks like you could add a electric choke cover for $15 and be good to go on a R2. Any offers on the carb ?

More pics:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...l-carb-ID-help

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    Didn't see JDP post, not an R2 base, not an R2 carb. The non-vented tops were on a few different AFB's. Stude linkage, though, R! carb maybe with a non-vented top for use with the blower.

ErnieR

Leave a comment:

• Sdude
    replied
    Austrailian version

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    Does the base plate have the R2 channels for relieving ressure at throttle plate bushings? If not it's a regular AFB. If so, you have the important part of the carb and there are Chevy carbs that have the same tops as the R2 carb so you could build a proper R2 AFB.

ErnieR

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    That was our suspicion, but we were hoping for some ultra rare, one of a kind, super secret, R-5, skunk works, prototype or some such thing, but Oh, well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X