Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery R2 Carb... any ideas of what or why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery R2 Carb... any ideas of what or why?

We got this carb which has the fuel outlet on the driver side rear of the carb. Normally the fuel inlet is on the front passenger side. The tag appears to be stock and there are no numbers stamped on the bottom flange of the carb. Any guesses????
    Attached Files
    sals54

Pontiac top casting - "Attention" plate was re-riveted.

Comment

That was our suspicion, but we were hoping for some ultra rare, one of a kind, super secret, R-5, skunk works, prototype or some such thing, but Oh, well.
      sals54

Comment

Does the base plate have the R2 channels for relieving ressure at throttle plate bushings? If not it's a regular AFB. If so, you have the important part of the carb and there are Chevy carbs that have the same tops as the R2 carb so you could build a proper R2 AFB.

ErnieR

Comment

Austrailian version
          Jon Stalnaker
          Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Didn't see JDP post, not an R2 base, not an R2 carb. The non-vented tops were on a few different AFB's. Stude linkage, though, R! carb maybe with a non-vented top for use with the blower.

ErnieR

Comment

Originally posted by bige View Post
              Didn't see JDP post, not an R2 base, not an R2 carb. The non-vented tops were on a few different AFB's. Stude linkage, though, R! carb maybe with a non-vented top for use with the blower.

ErnieR

Looks like someone built a carb that will bolt on a R2 and work, although not show correct. Looks like you could add a electric choke cover for $15 and be good to go on a R2. Any offers on the carb ?

More pics:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...l-carb-ID-help
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Yep, looks to be a Pontiac, Buick, or the 63 Corvette top. The Carter carbs were not limited to Studebaker, as GM used them quite a bit too. The good thing(and maybe bad thing) is the parts will interchange rather easily, so somebody could build a functional R2 carburetor from other makes parts and pieces, without needing a second R2 carburetor. I have seen the tops and other Carter variations at the Brand X meets, so the tops and parts are not as uncommon. However much like the R2 nonevented tops, the nonvented tops that were on the Corvette setups are getting a little harder to come by, so a rebuilt carb will be a little more expensive than its vented brethren.
                1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

The Carter carbs were not limited to Studebaker, as GM used them quite a bit too.
                  Not only GM, as Mopar and AMC also used AFBs on their high-performance engines in the late '50s-mid-'60s.

jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

Had a similar carb that I got in a parts lot deal and was told it was a Dave T repop. Dave is a great guy! but the carb was not so glad I sold it. Ed

Comment

Ford also used AFB's on some Lincolns. I think Buick used the d/s rear inlet in the late 50's.

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                        Yep, looks to be a Pontiac, Buick, or the 63 Corvette top. The Carter carbs were not limited to Studebaker, as GM used them quite a bit too. The good thing(and maybe bad thing) is the parts will interchange rather easily, so somebody could build a functional R2 carburetor from other makes parts and pieces, without needing a second R2 carburetor. I have seen the tops and other Carter variations at the Brand X meets, so the tops and parts are not as uncommon. However much like the R2 nonevented tops, the nonvented tops that were on the Corvette setups are getting a little harder to come by, so a rebuilt carb will be a little more expensive than its vented brethren.
                        TBow "makes" R2 carbs out of brand X parts, but he finds a top with the correct fuel inlet. Buick or Pontiac I think.
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

A little research on ebay shows a Buick AFB with the Studebaker style fuel inlet, Maybe that is what Tbow uses to clone the Avanti carb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/-_W0Q...Q5fAccessories
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

That top wouldn't work on an R2 it has five vent holes on the top. I bought a 60's Corvette AFB for the top and idle compensator. If anyone cares I can post a picture and a number tomorrow. The tops are identical to the R2's except for the label.

ErnieR

Comment

Originally posted by bige View Post
                              That top wouldn't work on an R2 it has five vent holes on the top. I bought a 60's Corvette AFB for the top and idle compensator. If anyone cares I can post a picture and a number tomorrow. The tops are identical to the R2's except for the label.

ErnieR
                              I'd love that, but I expect a 60 vette carb is not cheap either.
                              JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X