No announcement yet.

May South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last "offical" day of the swap meet is the 7th, but anybody at the show with a Studebaker, Packard, or Avanti (includes Avanti II) are invited to race, I mean drive around the proving ground test track ON MAY 8TH. This year will definately be a good show. Between Tom Curtis, Bob Henning, Chris Patton, Rene Paturalski, myself, and the entire Michiana Chapter of the SDC, we have made it a personal mission to make this the BEST MEET YET!!! See my signature for more information.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

I quit staying in South Bend years ago.
      You have to remember that it's also Prom season and I got tired of the kids running up and down the halls "all" night long.
      I have reservations at The Essenhaus Inn in Middlebury. www.essenhaus.com
      I've also stayed in Shipshewana at The Farmstead Inn. www.farmsteadinn.com
      This is about 30 minutes East on Route 20 and is in Amish country. Very easy to get to the fairgrounds from.
      If you're bringing the little lady along she will love it, plus great Amish food !
      We stayed up at the north end of town until last year when we stayed at the Comfort Suites on the south end of town(No SASCO, no real reason to stay up that far north, and it the Comfort Suites was real nice too). A few years back, we also had problems with the prom folk at the Holiday Inn, later Quality Express up on the north end of town for this reason. That all changed when the Cannonball Run One Lap of America drivers started staying up there. The reason being was, because just like us, these guys needed there sleep, and had to be up and out at the track nice and early to stay in competition. The cars they had were some high dollar vehicles, so that not only meant the noise had to stay down, the security also had to go way up. The end result was the hotel became real nice to stay in until we switched to the Jamison down the road for a couple of years. We also got a nice view of some real foreign and domestic exotic cars most people don't normally see on a day to day basis, that were all lumped into one parking lot.
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

We camped at the fairgrounds last year and we are doing it again this year. We had a slight problem being able to get to the site the first night due to someone with a motorhome parking where they were not supposed to so they blocked the entrance to the camping area, but the next day we were the only ones in the campground. Very quiet, convenient to walk over to the vendors, complete hook ups and what my wife liked most was that she and my stepson could just go back to the camper if they wanted to while I could spend all the time I wanted looking at parts. Not cheap pulling the camper with the price of gas, but if it keeps the wife happy I guess it's ok by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Speed 53 View Post
          We will be at the south one near the fairgrounds.Also planning a Barnabys Pizza visit on thurs nigth like last year. Ed
          We'll be there TONIGHT between 5:30 & 6. Who all's going to be there???

Barnaby's Pizza
          713 E. Jefferson Blvd.
          South Bend

Comment

Pics from today's vendor set up:

George Krem & Nelson Bove check out the early outside gems.

Super solid '61 trunk lid and rear doors...$20 each!!!

Comment

Thanks Dave for sharing the meet .....wish I was there .
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

More from Friday:

R1 Engine

Bo Markham gets a trouble maker (Dennis Lambert) in a headlock. Bo just had a heavy Stude hood over his head changing from his outside vendor spot to inside the hall. Dennis decided to get in his way to see his face turn even more red, hence this response.

Comment

Dave, thanks for posting these great pics! I've not been able to attend that meet two years in a row due to work requirements in Harrisburg, PA. I've missed it!

EDIT: Just found out my sister and brother-in-law from PA, Darlene and Harley Cook, are out there. They don't know a lot of Stude folks as Harley has only recently re-entered the hobby, so if you see them say 'hi'! <GGGG>
                  Last edited by Bill Pressler; 05-07-2011, 05:30 AM.
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

Comment

great pics as usual, thanks.
                    61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                      EDIT: Just found out my sister and brother-in-law from PA, Darlene and Harley Cook, are out there. They don't know a lot of Stude folks as Harley has only recently re-entered the hobby, so if you see them say 'hi'! <GGGG>
                      Phooey, Bill; I wish Harley would have had my cell phone number and rang (rung?) me up, as they say in the UK. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Barnlark I hope my buddy Tonys wife dosnt check this site cause you got him writing a check for the rear fender for his 52. LOL
                        Tom
                        sigpic

Comment

Nice to see you guys have nice weather there (unlike last year). Wish I could have gone there again this year but at least Barnlark is sharing the event in pictures which is much appreciated.
                          sigpic
                          In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Quite a few members on the Forum went to the Studebaker meet, so expect quite a few photos over the next few days, notwithstanding mine. The weather was better than last year, but we still got sprinkled on, on Friday, and we got a steady drizzle around 2 pm on Saturday. Anyway, here's a few of my photos from the show:

Hopefully I have the correct Avanti. This is one of the last few that rolled off the line in Cancun. What's different is it's sporting a V6 rather than a V8. The idea was an experiment in cost effectiveness in using the V6 However, the tire peeling results are pretty much the same, or so I was told <G>....

Yes, the E33 has a blower, and its quite effective too <G>.....

On Friday night, Studebaker International held a Cruise In with Rolling Stonebaker pizza and free tours. Although the truck is quite a novel concept, I wasn't much on the pizza(sorry guys it was more of a snack than a meal, and it was joined by two Chicago Style hotdogs and a soda), but I loved the tour. I was even pressed, er humored to buy a large air compressor for 500 dollars from Tom Molnar since we have an Avanti. It's all good though, I got my fair share of pictures and a movie or two....

The Pizza truck...

Expenses, if I recall, most of the parts were for the '55, so I ended up with

Bulk original exhaust pipe
                            Driver and Passenger window regulators
                            WC repair kits
                            Brake hoses and fittings
                            Master cylinder with a usable brass fitting
                            Reproduction '55 C/K tail light lenses from SI(couldn't find all of none at the fairgrounds)
                            Extra temperature gauge, gasket, and sender since my FI system is currently using the stock sender
                            Some extra rolls of Red Velour fabric and reflective heat insulation after a donation to the SNM for their work on the Woody. The roll of heat insulation will be added to the extra roll of other reflective heat insulation I got from the Hunnert Car Pileup a couple years ago.

I have posted many more photos, so if you want to see the album for the show at the fairgrounds go here:

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...20Show%202011/

For the Cruise In, click here:
                            http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...International/
                            Last edited by PlainBrownR2; 05-08-2011, 12:46 AM.
                            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Hey John, was that a real deal 62 Convertible pace car, just curious.
                              Regards Brian
                              Brian Greenall
                              Melbourne, OZ
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
                                Hey John, was that a real deal 62 Convertible pace car, just curious.
                                Regards Brian
                                No, Brian, the 1962 Daytona "Pace Car" was a recreation from an early-production car. It is not one of the two actual pace cars, nor is it one of the 500 Festival Cars. I spoke at length with the owner and restorer (two different people) and confirmed same.

Nice car from out west, originally built as a 3-speed but now a 4-speed! BP
                                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                                X