Pat's 312 cu.in coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat's 312 cu.in coupe

Need to do some detailing before ebay on this mild custom.
    JDP Maryland

That is a nice ride. What is the device on the left front inner fender?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
      That is a nice ride. What is the device on the left front inner fender?
      I think it's a alcohol injection system, I know it has one.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

A 312? Could you possibly expound on how they did this?
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

I got a short ride in this car today. I'll tell ya, it runs like a scalded dawg! ! !
          sals54

Comment

A good friend of mine and I built that car as the car was originally mine and then went to my friend and then to Pat. The engine is .140 overbore with all cylinders sleeved, Ross pistons, Cunningham sprint car style connecting rods, Chevy valves and springs with hard seats, ARP head studs with copper head gaskets, aluminum timing gear and an Isky ST5 cam. Pat added water injection for anti detonation protection. It has a Borg-Warner T10 trans and a Hurst shifter. 58 Golden Hawk dash, steering and suspension parts and seats from a GT Hawk. Pat also added Fairborn flanged axles to the differential. As an added bonus, the car has never been wrecked and has under 100k miles on it. Bud

Comment

A classy ride, for sure. We don't see too many coupes up here, yet, but summer is coming
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

do want!

nate
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  A good friend of mine and I built that car as the car was originally mine and then went to my friend and then to Pat. The engine is .140 overbore with all cylinders sleeved, Ross pistons, Cunningham sprint car style connecting rods, Chevy valves and springs with hard seats, ARP head studs with copper head gaskets, aluminum timing gear and an Isky ST5 cam. Pat added water injection for anti detonation protection. It has a Borg-Warner T10 trans and a Hurst shifter. 58 Golden Hawk dash, steering and suspension parts and seats from a GT Hawk. Pat also added Fairborn flanged axles to the differential. As an added bonus, the car has never been wrecked and has under 100k miles on it. Bud
                  Awesome, thanks!
                  Dylan Wills
                  Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
                  1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
                  1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
                  1914 Ford Model T

Comment

trade ya!!!

i keep having a rough time NOT doing much to my original. heck, can't even put on a chrome air cleaner...
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

That's a hard core build. The rods and pistons would be more than $2,000 today.

Just asking, why was it necessary to sleeve the block for a .140" bore? Most early blocks would take that with no problem. Was it a late full flow block?

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Holy cow, amazing engine specs! I'd love to take it for a spin. Luckily the rest of the car does nothing for me, so I'll not be pining away Not to say there's anything wrong with the car, it's just really not my cup-o-tea.

Now drop that engine in a Daytona........

I personally have never seen a dog scalded, so I have no feel for how fast one would be, although I imagine it would in fact be fast. Maybe it's time to experiment. My son has a dog, an annoying Lab mix. Hmmm...... C'mere, Amber...........................
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Its funny you should mention a Daytona, cuz that is the car Pat is keeping for his driver. A well built 289 in a Vanilla Wrapper 63 Daytona.
                          sals54

Comment

The block is a late full flow and we hit water on a couple of cylinders when we bored it, that's the reason for sleeving the rest of the cylinders. We built the engine to replace the original R2 engine in Don Tucker's Avanti with a Paxton turned up to about 10lbs boost. The engine with 10.5 to 1 compression and the supercharger was just too radical for a street car so the original engine was rebuilt and installed and Don sold the engine minus the Paxton to Pat to use in the 54. The engine at this point doesn't have more than 5000 miles on it. I did some distributor and carburetor work on the car not too long ago and I will guarantee that the car is fast as I've driven it in recent history. Bud

Comment

Thanks for the info, Bud. I figured it had to be a late block.

Off topic again, but did you hit a water passage or the oil passage? I've never seen water at .140", but I have seen one late full flow block break into an oil passage where the Stude foundry changed the core to add the full flow.

jack vines
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X