Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for an Avanti (or finned Hawk) in PA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • looking for an Avanti (or finned Hawk) in PA

    I am looking for a cheap Avanti in or near western or central PA. My limit is $5000.

    Must be complete and together. I dont mind if it needs interior work or some body work, but not interested if it needs floor, frame, or hog trough work. Body work is cheap around here, but cutting and welding is not, and I dont do it myself.

    Might be interested in a Silver Hawk if I cant find an Avanti.

  • #2
    Originally posted by jeryst View Post
    I am looking for a cheap Avanti in or near western or central PA. My limit is $5000.

    Must be complete and together. I dont mind if it needs interior work or some body work, but not interested if it needs floor, frame, or hog trough work. Body work is cheap around here, but cutting and welding is not, and I dont do it myself.
    Might be interested in a Silver Hawk if I cant find an Avanti.
    I can find you a cheap Avanti, but not with decent troughs or frame, you'll need to spent 8K or more for those unless you'll accept a Avanti II.
    JDP Maryland

    Comment


    • #3
      What happened

      What happened to the hawk you purchase last year? Wasn't it a 1957 Silverhawk?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by billmdonn View Post
        What happened to the hawk you purchase last year? Wasn't it a 1957 Silverhawk?
        I bought a Golden Hawk several years ago, but have not been able to finish it due to financial concerns.

        My son wants an Avanti. His second choice would be a 57/61 Siver Hawk/Hawk. His budget is $5k. I'm just trying to help him find something.
        I'd rather him be interested in a Stude than any of the big 3. Gotta keep the ball rolling, y'know - lol.
        I've seen some decent $5k Avanti's pop up in the classifieds and in TW, but non of them have been close.
        Last edited by jeryst; 04-19-2011, 04:00 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          AT THAT PRICE, the best chance for a decent Car is a '59 Silver Hawk or '60 Hawk, the forgotten, undervalued, (unwanted) Hawks.

          Comment


          • #6
            I know of one for sale in the Toms River area of NJ. I think 5k can purchase it. Call Greg at 732-735-6520
            Jim Rostron

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
              I know of one for sale in the Toms River area of NJ. I think 5k can purchase it. Call Greg at 732-735-6520
              If it's the one I'm thinking of, it has bad troughs and frame issues. If it's a different car in NJ, maybe it's a transplant from a salt free zone.
              JDP Maryland

              Comment


              • #8
                jeryst, check your PMs.
                Proud NON-CASO

                I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

                If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

                GOD BLESS AMERICA

                Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

                Illegitimi non carborundum

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JDP View Post
                  I can find you a cheap Avanti, but not with decent troughs or frame, you'll need to spent 8K or more for those unless you'll accept a Avanti II.
                  Hey, Jerry! Avanti IIs can be nice cars, too.
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rerun View Post
                    Hey, Jerry! Avanti IIs can be nice cars, too.
                    Hi Jim. I'm not sure I know the difference, and I'm pretty sure my son doesnt either.

                    Whats the difference between the two?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jeryst View Post
                      Hi Jim. I'm not sure I know the difference, and I'm pretty sure my son doesnt either.

                      Whats the difference between the two?
                      Essentially, the main difference is the GM drive train. Later Avanti II's had more luxurious appointments and some changes were mandated by government regulations. Also, some trim and interior parts were changed as original parts ran out and the company adapted from other makes or used generic parts.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                        Essentially, the main difference is the GM drive train. Later Avanti II's had more luxurious appointments and some changes were mandated by government regulations. Also, some trim and interior parts were changed as original parts ran out and the company adapted from other makes or used generic parts.
                        The one thing to consider if you are sensitive to seat adjustment is the later Avanti II's have much better seats. Some are even Recaro. I don't know the years they began the upgraded seats but I'd guess early 70's or so. My books are not detailed enough to tell exactly. My 83 has darn good seats and leather about as thick as you will find in car market. When I sent a sample to Leatherique to match the color, The gal was very complimentary on the leather quality and thickness. Guess that's why the sticker was $32,000 or so.

                        Bob

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          The one thing to consider if you are sensitive to seat adjustment is the later Avanti II's have much better seats. Some are even Recaro. I don't know the years they began the upgraded seats but I'd guess early 70's or so. My books are not detailed enough to tell exactly. My 83 has darn good seats and leather about as thick as you will find in car market. When I sent a sample to Leatherique to match the color, The gal was very complimentary on the leather quality and thickness. Guess that's why the sticker was $32,000 or so.

                          Bob
                          My '70 came with the "Command Center" high back seats...they were atrocious! No support and no real comfort...even after having them reupholstered and new padding installed. I'm 6'3" so maybe a shorter driver might have better luck with them. I found a set of Recaro seats from a later Avanti being parted out and had them redone...the difference is astounding! They are so much more comfortable and adjustable. It wasn't until about 1980 or so that Recaro's became an option. They are definitely worth it.

                          I believe the high back seats began with the RQB series. I understand the first high backs were nothing more than the original low back shell with a higher back bonded on and upholstered to hide the work. I've heard they were pretty bad but were really little more than a transitional seat until the "Command Center" seats were available. It's hard to imagine the other seats being more uncomfortable than the "Command Center" from my experience.

                          The only negative thing I've experienced with the Recaro's is the wide seat cushions interfere with opening the console compartment lid. Not a big deal and easy to live with for the far more comfortable seats.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My son found an Avanti II that we are going to go look at.
                            What are the key things to look for?
                            Do the hog troughs run underneath the doors, and is rust evident from underneath?
                            Are there any special areas on the frame that we should look at?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The hog troughs run from the back of the front wheelwells to the front of the rear wheelwells right behind the rocker panels. If they are rotted out you will be looking at a very expensive repair a pair are about $2,200 just for the parts. and they are criticial to the structure of the car, also check the tubular crossmember at the rear of the car they also rust out. make sure the steering is tight a front end rebuild can get pricey. Remember there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Avanti, Good luck PS Check Google Images for Avanti hog troughs and you can see what they look like before you go look at the car. When I bought my 1976 Avanti ll I poked the troughs with a screwdriver with the sellers permission and they where solid but I had to have the frontend rebuilt.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X