Pleasant Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleasant Surprise

Jamie McLeod was over this morning and we crawled under the Cruiser. You know finding new rust holes, worn out body braces, etc., but the pleasant part came when he began looking at the rear end. Come to find out is it not only a Dana44, but it is a 3:31 with Twin Traction! The car has no TT logos anywhere on the body, but I just have to believe this rear end is original. I am really tickled about the TT rear and the gear ratio is a good one.

Was this set up unusual for '65? Also, did they not use the TT logo in '65? If they did where should that logo be located?

Once this old girl is back together, it should do well with its warmed over original 283 and the 200R4 tranny.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

I have never seen a TT logo on any '63 or later Stude and had assumed they were discontinued starting with the '63 model year. Now I'll have to go check my body manual. I know my '64 Daytona HT came from the factory without one.
    Attached Files

Comment

My '63 Avanti has a 3:31 Dana 44 with TT. It came with a red tag and the TT was recorded on the build sheet.

Comment

What Keoni said. '62 was the last year for TT emblems.

The exception is a handful of early '63 Hawks with a TT emblem on the fuel doors (like the one my family owns). I think it was Jeff Rice that had the theory that the factory was using up leftover '62 fuel doors with holes for the emblem.

Comment

I don't believe it was unusual for 65. My 65 Cruiser had a 3:31 TT with flanged axles.

Comment

I think we should put 4 TT emblems on the car. One above each wheel to go along with the 24 inch rims!!!!!
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1958 Commander "Christine"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
              I think we should put 4 TT emblems on the car. One above each wheel to go along with the 24 inch rims!!!!!
              Oh, Jamie don't you know that 24's are passe nowadays -- too small.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Our 64 Daytona was ordered with TT, it was an option for us. Don't remember a thing about the emblem.

Comment

Originally posted by 65cruiser View Post
                  I don't believe it was unusual for 65. My 65 Cruiser had a 3:31 TT with flanged axles.
                  Thanks for your response. Your Cruiser is equipped just like mine.

I tried to get the build sheet for mine, but there is not one available for my car. Lost destroyed or something.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                    Just tell everyone a TT is one better than an SS from Chevy was.

Comment

I had a 65 Cruiser 283 AT fitted with a 3:07 TT 44 flanged axle (made for a nice highway daily driver)
                      Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                      Jamie McLeod was over this morning and we crawled under the Cruiser. You know finding new rust holes, worn out body braces, etc., but the pleasant part came when he began looking at the rear end. Come to find out is it not only a Dana44, but it is a 3:31 with Twin Traction! The car has no TT logos anywhere on the body, but I just have to believe this rear end is original. I am really tickled about the TT rear and the gear ratio is a good one.

Was this set up unusual for '65? Also, did they not use the TT logo in '65? If they did where should that logo be located?

Once this old girl is back together, it should do well with its warmed over original 283 and the 200R4 tranny.
                      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Very nice discovery! Not that it'll ever serve any practical purpose for your car. Neat to have though.
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth—let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

You never know Bob, there may be a 383 lurking under those stock valve covers.
                          Jamie McLeod
                          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                          1955 Commander Sedan
                          1964 Champ
                          1960 Lark

Comment

Joe,

I was getting ready to say to look above the cardboard golve box to see if there was an instrument panel copy of the production order left up there on the assembly line - a lot of people have found these on '60s Studebakers. I found the one in my '64 Commander up there.

But.....then I remembered this is a Hamilton-built car. Maybe the experts here can tell us whether Hamilton had instrument panel copies of the Production Order, and whether they have been found in any cars.

BTW, have we seen pictures of this car???<G>
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

When we took the dash out, there was nothing there.
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X