Seeking to identify Studebaker building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking to identify Studebaker building

I have an old photo of a city scape with what looks like a military encampment in front of it. The photograph appears to b circa 1819 (the military hass a lot of horses). There is one skyscraper to the left of center that is very distinctive. To its immediate right is a second building with a huge sign on top that is partially covered by the skyscraper. The portion of the sign that is visible reads "...es Studebaker Automobiles"
    I'm trying to find out what city this was and when. The photo and a blowup of the Studebaker building can be seen at the following links:
    http://webpages.charter.net/joemit/aaa.jpg
    and
    http://webpages.charter.net/joemit/aaa crop.jpg

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone interested in a scan of the Studebaker building should help themself. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Have a great day!

Could you mean 1918? Studebaker wasn't building cars in 1819.

Comment

Sorry. That was supposed to read circa 1910.

Comment

I was sbasing that date on the fact that the military encampment has a lot oif horses and no gasoline vehicles in sight

Comment

Chicago... maybe? It's kinda hard to tell with the Studebaker building so obscured by the one in front of it. Could be the Spanish-American war too, unless of course you are sure it's WWI that is the era depicted.
          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
          Ron Smith
          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Originally posted by joemit View Post
            >>>Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone interested in a scan of the Studebaker building should help themself. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Have a great day!
            WELCOME ...to the SDC Forum!!!

It's been awhile back, but believe that is the "Studebaker Building" between Broadway and 7th in New York City.

Comment

Originally posted by joemit View Post
              >>>encampment has a lot oif horses and no gasoline vehicles in sight
              True, but did you consider Studebaker was building, selling & charging ELECTRIC vehicles just a few blocks away???

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1903stud1.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the help

Thanks all for the help on this. I was expecting to find it was a building in the midwest,ie. South Bend, Detroit or Chicago. NYC is a surprise!

Comment

That is Chicago. Those buildings are along Michigan Ave. The tallest building to the left-center still stands.

Last edited by StudHawk60; 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

It looks like several more stories were added to that Studebaker building.

Comment

Working...
                    X