Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do you know about M series diesel trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what do you know about M series diesel trucks?

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1302715747

Me neither but this one is definitely diesel powered notwithstanding the fact the nameplate in non authentic for the year. Comments welcome.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

What a tease! We need more information. I love the stance. I want to know what Diesel it has and what is giving it such a confident "ready to go" attitude.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Another view.
      Richard Quinn

Comment

TW Article

I recall an article written by Clell? Ballard in TW sometime in the early 1980's where he talked about diesel powered Stude trucks from the 30's and 40's... IIRC they were Hercules engines. Not home, so cannot look up the details.
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
          I recall an article written by Clell? Ballard in TW sometime in the early 1980's where he talked about diesel powered Stude trucks from the 30's and 40's... IIRC they were Hercules engines. Not home, so cannot look up the details.
          I don't think those Hercules diesels would fit in an M. If I remember right, they were available around 1937 with a "JXD" model prefix.

Craig

Comment

The subject truck is the latest fair-weather daily driver creation of former Antique Studebaker Club President and innovator par excellance, Ford Stoecker. I'm sure DQ knows that and is pulling our leg, as good a freinds as are he and Ford. Or maybe not; Dick had reservations about permitting the prestigious ASC Presidency to be occupied by someone named Ford. <GGG>

IIRC, Ford was powering it with a late-model Volkswagen diesel engine. I saw pictures of it under construction not too long ago, but can't place where that was. Super-cute machine, for sure, and Ford will finish it to look like Studebaker just manufactured it last week. BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 04-14-2011, 07:17 AM. Reason: add a "c" to Ford's last name
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              The subject truck is the latest fair-weather daily driver creation of former Antique Studebaker Club President and innovator par excellance, Ford Stoeker. I'm sure DQ knows that and is pulling our leg, as good a freinds as are he and Ford. Or maybe not; Dick had reservations about permitting the prestigious ASC Presidency to be occupied by someone named Ford. <GGG>

IIRC, Ford was powering it with a late-model Volkswagen diesel engine. I saw pictures of it under construction not too long ago, but can't place where that was. Super-cute machine, for sure, and Ford will finish it to look like Studebaker just manufactured it last week. BP
              A lightweight european diesel explains a lot! I was thinking that hidden under the hood was going to be some big chunk of "Cat" or Cummins with lots of inner fender, firewall, and suspension mods.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                A lightweight european diesel explains a lot! I was thinking that hidden under the hood was going to be some big chunk of "Cat" or Cummins with lots of inner fender, firewall, and suspension mods.
                To the contrary, John, as you can imagine. Ford has every intention of using the truck daily unless weather prohibits. He is engineering the truck to get over 30 mpg and be so tractable that even a cave man could drive it...assuming he had Geico insurance, of course. (Hmmm...now that I think of it, was it Geico who had the cave man theme several years ago...or ???) BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The subject truck is the latest fair-weather daily driver creation of former Antique Studebaker Club President and innovator par excellance, Ford Stoeker. I'm sure DQ knows that and is pulling our leg, as good a freinds as are he and Ford. Or maybe not; Dick had reservations about permitting the prestigious ASC Presidency to be occupied by someone named Ford. <GGG>

You spoil all my fun!
                  Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    You spoil all my fun!
                    I kinda knew something was up because the picture did not have your usual trademark slathered all over it.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Would love details, maybe a how-to article! Would love to do something like this to a C-cab!

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                        You spoil all my fun!
                        OOPS.

Ask a question around here and get an answer, Dick, as you know.

(It might not be the right answer, but you'll get one!) <GGG>

I take it Ford has completed the project? How does it run and drive? It looked wonderful under construction; he is so detail-oriented. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Ford has some very interesting and VERY cool Studebakers. I just hope he didn't steal the emblems off of his factory Stude Diesel truck. <grin>

Comment

C-cab with Cummins turbo:

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...t=P9040014.mp4

Owner actually shortened a Dodge pick-up chassis and fit the Stude body to it; had to put the radiator in the bed. Only the 4" stacks are a little over the top.
                            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Here is the full story from the owner hisself (taken from 3-4 emails over a period of time)

The engine is a VW turbodiesel with 110 horsepower to replace the 80 horsepower Champion engine. The VW engine is mated to a floor shift Borg Warner 3 speed with overdrive, so the internal appearance of the cab is relatively little changed except for the obvious air conditioning outlets. It is geared pretty tall so it will run at just under 2000 rpm at 70 miles/hour. The engine is so short compared to the Champion, that we located the battery between the engine and the radiator. The VW engine is cast iron with an aluminum head and weighs 325 pound dressed with the alternator, air-conditioning compressor, and power steering pump. I don't know the weight of the Champion engine, but is probably half its weight. We hung the Champion flywheel on the VW engine and are starting it with an Autolite 1947 starter running on 12 volts. The plan is to make it my daily driver. It will have creature comforts (A/C, bucket seats, radio, power steering), but is otherwise true to the spartan nature of the truck as it was originally built.

Cruising speed (so far it is without overdrive) is comfortable at around 55, and with the overdrive, it should be spot on. The turbodiesel engine is powerful and moves the truck easily at cruising speed. The ride is comfortable with some stiffness on the bumps, but certainly what you would expect in a pickup. The steering is power assisted and quite nice. I have a stereo and Air Conditioning as well to improve the creature comforts in the vehicle. The brakes are non-power assisted but certainly satisfactory with 11" Ford Discs in the front and the Studebaker 11" drums in the rear.

I am using 15" Studebaker truck wheels from an R series truck, and the tires look a little chubby as a result. Also, the front end sits taller than I had hoped for but the coil springs we used are brand new, so they may sag with some time and use, effectively lowering the front end. If that does not drop the front end enough, the plan will be to revisit the front suspension in a year or so, and install shorter or weaker springs.

Latest report on 4-13
                              The truck does run well and rides pretty well for a pickup. It handles well and the brakes are just fine. I am having transmission issues since I am using a converted T-86 with a 2.78 first gear ratio. With the 3.54 ratio rear axle, it is geared "tall" for the starting from a dead stop with that first gear. There were some Jeeps, Studebaker Taxis, and certain pickups with a lower first gear in the T-86 (3.34 ratio first gear). Jim Maxey has harvested one of those transmissions from Studebaker International, and once I get it home, we will swap the gears around and see if it is better to start rolling from a dead stop. If that is insufficient, then the rear axle ratio will have to change! I don't want to do all that gear work, but will do what I have to do to get it so it is an easy driver.

It still needs the interior installed and the seats re-upholstered, but that can wait untill I have the bugs out of the mechanical components. (Ford Stoecker)
                              Richard Quinn

Comment

Working...
                              X