Race in '61 Nascar Pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race in '61 Nascar Pic

That's an interesting photo and story, Ebon, but I can't help but wonder about the alleged connection.

To wit: The story has a sidebar listing the order of finish and the car each driver was driving. Only two cars from the 1950s are listed in the order of finish: a 1959 Chevrolet and a 1959 Oldsmobile. All other cars in the list are 1960 or newer.

Yet in this photo we see not only the 1950s Studebaker Hawk but a 1957 Ford, a 1956(?) Mercury behind the Ford, and a 1957 Chevrolet. None of those models or model years are mentioned in the race results.

I can't help but think the report is not associated with that specific photograph, although the photo may be an earlier picture of a race at the subject race track.

What do you think? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes, it's a photo I've never seen before.

No, it isn't connected to the article. Back in the day, for the Grand National Late Models, NASCAR had a three-year-old rule. Anything older was in the Modified class. That photo is probably from the '56-57 era.

Maybe, someone with better photo identification skills can tell us what year Hawk.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I tried my hand at monkeying (sp?) with the photo, and this is what I can tell. It appears to have the turn signal light mounted on the top of the fender, that makes it a 56-58. But the light looks like it's mounted closely behind the headlight ring, that'd make it a 57-58. There are no side grilles, which would make it a 57, but being a race car, they could have been removed. I also couldn't see anything of a tailfin, but they also could've been removed. It also appears that the door skin in smooth. Is that an emblem on the grille? That'd make it a 57. My best guess would say a '57 or '58.

I'd really like to get a better look at the dark car w/white fins that is in last place.

Last edited by StudHawk60; 04-13-2011, 11:10 AM.

Comment

With the grille badge still on the grille it would be a 57 the 58 used the large round one in the center lower part of the grille.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
            That's an interesting photo and story, Ebon, but I can't help but wonder about the alleged connection.

To wit: The story has a sidebar listing the order of finish and the car each driver was driving. Only two cars from the 1950s are listed in the order of finish: a 1959 Chevrolet and a 1959 Oldsmobile. All other cars in the list are 1960 or newer.

Yet in this photo we see not only the 1950s Studebaker Hawk but a 1957 Ford, a 1956(?) Mercury behind the Ford, and a 1957 Chevrolet. None of those models or model years are mentioned in the race results.

I can't help but think the report is not associated with that specific photograph, although the photo may be an earlier picture of a race at the subject race track.

What do you think? BP
            The Mercury is a 1955. Only 1955 had high roof hardtops, not 1956. In 1955, only the Montclair had the low roof on two door hardtops. In 1956, all Mercury hardtops used the low roof.
            The Hawk appears to be a 1957, on my small screen.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The photo is from the September 8, 1957 NASCAR race at the Ashville Weaverville, NC 1/2 mile track. The Studebaker is the # 71 1956 Golden Hawk raced by George Parrish, then the Studebaker dealer in Henderson, NC. George raced the 56 Golden Hawk for the first time 6 days earlier in the 1957 Southern 500 at Darlington, SC.
              At Ashville-Weaverville, George started 19th out of 20 in the field and finished 15th. One of George's wheels broke on lap 143 causing him to exit the race. The race was a 100 mile event.
              This race was the first one run on the just paved track. The first race of the season at Ashville Weaverville held on March 31st had been run on dirt.
              sigpicBob Coolidge
              DeLand, FL

Comment

Originally posted by trnstrtrk View Post
                The photo is from the September 8, 1957 NASCAR race at the Ashville Weaverville, NC 1/2 mile track. The Studebaker is the # 71 1956 Golden Hawk raced by George Parrish, then the Studebaker dealer in Henderson, NC. George raced the 56 Golden Hawk for the first time 6 days earlier in the 1957 Southern 500 at Darlington, SC.
                At Ashville-Weaverville, George started 19th out of 20 in the field and finished 15th. One of George's wheels broke on lap 143 causing him to exit the race. The race was a 100 mile event.
                This race was the first one run on the just paved track. The first race of the season at Ashville Weaverville held on March 31st had been run on dirt.
                http://www.racing-reference.info/race/1957-42/W

I saw this earlier, but I thought some of the cars in the photo were '58s (quad headlights). I could be wrong though.

Comment

I have discussed this race with George Parrish. He was running quite competitively with Fireball Roberts in a factory backed Ford during the race. When his wheel broke he crashed and did not return to competition until October 13 at Concord, NC. George finished the 1957 NASCAR season with races at North Wilkesboro and Greensboro, NC. He then retired from racing.

Attached is a photo of George and me at the 2009 Darlington Historic Racing Festival. This was George's first visit back to Darlington since he raced in 57 in the 56 Golden Hawk.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpicBob Coolidge
                  DeLand, FL

Comment

Working...
                  X