April 'Turning Wheels'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 'Turning Wheels'

Hot dog diggity!!! A great issue. Fred Fox has an article on the Scotsman models for 1957-59, both cars and trucks. Something a little different from the usual C-K's, Avanti, GT's, modified Studes, hot rods, rat rods, and such!!

This article was built around his prior separate treatments of the cars and trucks in past years. He tells the story of Studebaker attempting to market a car for the recessionary times of the late '50's. This article included more details and decision making processes and as a story rather than a mechanical treatise. Thanks, Fred, for your investigative and research efforts.

Frank Drumeller
    Locust Grove, VA
    Keeper of the Studebaker Scotsman Truck Register

This article enlightened me. I had previously not thought much of the Scotsman project. Fred's article shows it was a relative success. Well done.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Well done Fred for the excellent research & presentation. Those early days of the fifties when the imported cars came into the U.S market took a foothold that was to have a marked effect on U.S vehicle manufacturing to this day. The importance of Harold Churchill to Studebaker with the Scotsman as well as the all important Lark. Raymond Loewy observed in his letter of 10th Dec 1958 to Churchill - " May I send you my congratulations for the LARK. You are certainly on the right track and will hit a large segment of the market.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

Trucks!

Well, my April TW has not arrived yet, but I will be looking forward to it more than ever since there's a story with truck content.
        Mark Hayden
        '66 Commander
        Zone Coordinator
        Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
          Well, my April TW has not arrived yet, but I will be looking forward to it more than ever since there's a story with truck content.
          Actually, Mark, there's quite a bit of truck content in the Scotsman article, and several good Scotsman truck photos, too. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
          X