June HCC questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June HCC questions...

I received my June HCC Digital Edition a few days ago and finally looked at it. Has a nice '58 station wagon it it but I was wondering about a couple of statements.

One, the present owner stated that the original owner had ordered a 289 Silver Hawk Engine, 4-barrel carb and dual exhaust in it from the factory. I know that Studebaker was famous for doing special deals for special people. But IF it was possible to get the aforementioned setup in what was actually a Commander line car, wonder why the dealer didn't just sell him a Prez?

And two, the author states that over 90 mph, the speedometer shows PLAID. I wonder, Was he kidding? Or was this REALLY a concept Scotsman speedo?

Verrrrry interesting!

John

Maybe PLAID is a 1958-style acronym for "Police Lurking Ahead - I'm Dead!!"
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I don't rmember plaid in any of the 1957s that I owned. I remember them as going from green to yellow to red, but it has been awhile since I have had any Studebaker over 100mph.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

There is also a blurb on the Wagonaire and the Lark wagons. Do you get the idea this a station wagon edition?

John

Comment

He didn't buy a President wagon, because there was no President wagon in '58. Just the Commander Provincial. (And the Packard wagon).

There's no plaid on those speedometers. I had one all apart; no plaid!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
            I received my June HCC Digital Edition a few days ago and finally looked at it. Has a nice '58 station wagon it it but I was wondering about a couple of statements.

One, the present owner stated that the original owner had ordered a 289 Silver Hawk Engine, 4-barrel carb and dual exhaust in it from the factory. I know that Studebaker was famous for doing special deals for special people. But IF it was possible to get the aforementioned setup in what was actually a Commander line car, wonder why the dealer didn't just sell him a Prez?

John
            Well, Johnny; I'd want to see a copy of the Production Order for that wagon before I'd believe the "Silver Hawk 289 engine" story. It is entirely possible, but here is a more plausible explanation:

All 1958 Presidents had 289 engine with 4 bbl carb and dual exhausts, standard. Commanders all had 2 bbl carb and single exhaust standard, but 4bbl and duals was a regular production option.

Lacking that wagon's Production Order, my money is on the car having been ordered with a Power Kit 259 engine. Because it then had 4 bbl and duals and because it would then look identical to a President 289, the story could easily G-R-O-W into the one printed in Hemmings Classic Car.

Further evidence of that theory is that the "story" boasts of the original owner having ordered the "solid-lifter 289 engine," as if that was a big deal. As 'most everyone on this forum well knows, all Studebaker V-8 engines had solid lifters. BP
            Last edited by BobPalma; 04-22-2011, 06:55 AM.
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                He didn't buy a President wagon, because there was no President wagon in '58. Just the Commander Provincial....
                KEE-rect! I shoulda known that. So as BP says, probably a 259 w/'power pack'. I'd love to know the engine #.

John

Comment

I tried to contact the author of that story as he requested, but the deadline was the day before I saw the email he had send to my Registry's email addie. My phone call was not returned. He asked a bunch of (what seemed to me) odd questions, but none about the '289' in that wagon.
                  I don't have a copy of the article- is there a picture of the engine?

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I don't rmember plaid in any of the 1957s that I owned. I remember them as going from green to yellow to red, but it has been awhile since I have had any Studebaker over 100mph.
                  That'd be correct Gary- green to orange to red. Red shows up at 60MPH.

Originally posted by Johnnywiffer View Post
                  So as BP says, probably a 259 w/'power pack'. I'd love to know the engine #. John
                  I'll have to give the wagon's owner a call. His business card is sitting on the desk over at my shop.
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                    He didn't buy a President wagon, because there was no President wagon in '58. Just the Commander Provincial. (And the Packard wagon).

There's no plaid on those speedometers. I had one all apart; no plaid!
                    I thought they made ONE 1958 Broadmoor wagon that has yet to be found.

As far as the drums on the '58's turning "plaid", I have seen a few where the heat and possibly the humidity has got to them. The day-glo paint is applied first, and then the matte black paint was silk-screened on allowing the day-glo-paint to show through as numerals. I have seen some where the black has peeled away from the heat, and left a linen-like texture allowing some of the day-glo paint to show through, but I do find it strange the author would say it 'came that way'.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                      I thought they made ONE 1958 Broadmoor wagon that has yet to be found. Craig
                      Almost, Craig: It is recorded that one 1958 P4 President DeLuxe wagon was made, but not in the P6 trim that was the 1957 Broadmoor wagon.

Of further interest to us would be locating one of the 70 (yes, seventy) 1958 President D1 2-door Marshal wagons made; 2 doors, plain trim, and a 289....woo-hoo! BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Almost, Craig: It is recorded that one 1958 P4 President DeLuxe wagon was made, but not in the P6 trim that was the 1957 Broadmoor wagon.
                        I would sure like to see the firewall tag of that car in the HCC article. There's a photo of the engine, but the tag is not visible.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                          That'd be correct Gary- green to orange to red. Red shows up at 60MPH.
                          Sorta like~

Yes, I know the gauges are wrong for a '57 Parkview~ but that was done to the car a few years before I was even born!!!! I grew up with it like that, and I like it that way. It stays as is.

StudeDave '57
                          StudeDave '57
                          US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                          SDC Member since 1985

past President
                          Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                          San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                          San Diego Chapter SDC
                          North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

The 56 Commander I drove to Lancaster, has gauges like those. They work.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
                              Sorta like~

StudeDave '57
                              Geeze, Dave; are you doing 55 in Low or Reverse?

Shift that puppy before it blows up, 'will ya? <GGG> BP

Comment

Working...
                              X