Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by relbmar16 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]20128[/ATTACH]

Yes, that car was kinda rescued. As I understand it, the guy that go it took the VIN Tags and Body Tags off the car and then scrapped it. I believe he still had the engine and roll bar too. In 1999, I was told that he was going to try to find a Commander and Make a Pursuit Marshal out of the Commander using the parts from the car, including the roll bar. He had approached me about buying my sheet metal from my car which I had replaced, (Dade County Car 7922) so that he could at least have sheetmetal that actually came off a Marshal. I had already struck a deal with some one else and sold the metal. I forget his name, he did give me a copy of the actual Window Sticker from the PA car. I have no idea what ever became of the project and the parts that remained from the car.
    Holy Cow! Krocks is less than two miles from my current home. Building is now being used to sell/service lawn mowers and the like. Hard to believe such a rare car came out of such a small outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      Here's a factrory photo of one of those cars: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=marshal

Craig
      Actually, it's not one of those cars, but three of those cars. The car in the forefront, white is 64V-7643. There's another picture of this same car and it's not sporting bumper guards which means it has to be the State of Nebraska car as all the other white cars had bumper guards. In the background on the left is 64V-7657 the State of Kentucky Car and on the right, 64V-7625 the Philadelphia Car. You can see the chalk markings on the rear left side windows which show the serial numbers if you use a magnifying glass. Now what is interesting about this is that despite what some sources say, that these cars were made over a 6 day period. This kind of proves they weren't. The production order show's the date the cars are listed as finished but I believe these are the dates they were scheduled to be finished on the production line. The cars came off production and then went to the Engineering departments with out interiors. The interiors were finished and other features added as well. But they didn't follow the same order of production. 7625 shows a 9/23/63 production date finish but it's not, you can see from the photos that it doesn't have the roll bar (and most likely seats) installed yet. But the white car, a later production model actually is finished. I don't think the cars went in the same order in Engineering as in Production. In essence the dates aren't really when the cars were finished, they were finished when they left the line for Engineering.
      Last edited by relbmar16; 01-09-2013, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike cenit View Post
        I have the letter from Stewart-Warner also. What's strange is it's for S-W part number 530-DJ and the "Studebaker No. 1562926", I can't find anything for those numbers. The only thing on the deviation sheet is item 30 for unit 40552 (NYC), for a S-W #585 speedometer, which I think is the large dash mounted one. Maybe the letter we have is for the rest of the cars and the # 1562926 maybe be a Studebaker blanket order number.
        I'm looking at my original production order, from the factory, not a reprint and all it says is "265 Accurate Speedometer Certificate of Accuracy". I've replaced all the sheet metal on my car except the roof and cowl and kept it the original Astra White. I have magnetic South Bend Shield and then I put the two lolly pop lights and one Federal Signal Bubble Gum Light. Mine didn't have a spot light....I had worked with Unity and had everything for the car but decided since my car didn't come that way from the factory, I wouldn't change it. Mine is original except for the roof top lighting and I didn't like the looks of the front bumper guards so I removed them. They could always be added if I wanted. Of course, now i can't find my letter on the speedometer so I can't see the part number......to compare it to yours

Comment

k, found it, yep, same part no. on my certificate too.

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
            Holy Cow! Krocks is less than two miles from my current home. Building is now being used to sell/service lawn mowers and the like. Hard to believe such a rare car came out of such a small outlet.
            I think it must have been pretty much a free for all and different based on each zone office. I know 7450 (Maine State PD) ended up at the zone office in Massachusetts and then sold to Dupont Motors in Lawrence MA. They were called by the zone to see if they wanted the car. Krock was probably the same thing. They wanted to unload these cars I'm sure as they were all demos and had mileage and also weren't ever going to be produced again. My car, 7922 ended up in Savannah GA. at Victory Motors, I have the sales invoice which is from March of 1966. it was a two year old car before it ever ended up in private hands.

Comment

wow, good job spoting those numbers, your right about the cars leaving engineering at different times. All 20 of these cars were a little different to meet state or city specs, and engineering had to add some of the different special equipment. For example order 40548 (CA) was spec'd with a Fram P-1651-PL transmission oil line filter, which was installed by engineering. Also engineering had to supply all the pieces and patterns for all 20 bolster seats. Also all the cars had bits and pieces from different vendors, for example some had Motorola, some Delco Remy, some Prestolite, and others Leece-Neville alternators, some different fan belts, different regulators, so it's possable that some of these cars sat arround waiting parts.

Comment

This window sticker is really amazing, showing how far Studebaker would go to build a "Purpose Built" Heavy Duty Sedan!
                All those special options incl. a twist operated hand throttle AND a LOCKING twist operated hand throttle!
                And it says Pg. 1 of 2, holy smoke there is more special Engineering requirements or options.

These were Soooo much better than a standard Chev. or Ford Sedan with more durable less plush seats, no trim, black tires, and bottle cap Hub caps.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

But are the whereabouts of that white car known. Has this car been rescued? Anyone know?
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Very interesting thread on the Marshals. On the subject of 'certified speedometers', a fellow I know who was the Service Manager of Carl E. Filer Co., Greenville, PA, ordered new '64 Cruiser serial 64V-14402, black, red cloth buckets, complete R2 Super package (one of only 2 R2 Cruisers with the whole 'package' per the TW article on '64 Avanti-powered Studes back in the '80's), no power steering, and certified speedometer. The production order says "Accurate Speedometer" as an option! LOL
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

It is strange, factory order item # 264 calls for "accurate police-calibrated", cost $4.30 (suggested),
                      then it lists "Police-Stewart Warner #585, black face-2 mile increments" or "Police-Stewart Warner
                      #S-585Y, white face-1 mile increments" cost $41.43 (suggested). All 3 listed under same factory item
                      # 264. Good thing they didn't sell a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        This window sticker is really amazing, showing how far Studebaker would go to build a "Purpose Built" Heavy Duty Sedan!
                        All those special options incl. a twist operated hand throttle AND a LOCKING twist operated hand throttle!
                        And it says Pg. 1 of 2, holy smoke there is more special Engineering requirements or options.

These were Soooo much better than a standard Chev. or Ford Sedan with more durable less plush seats, no trim, black tires, and bottle cap Hub caps.
                        Yes, each car was quite different and had production orders two pages long. I neglected to post the second page, here it is.....also note on the first page at the very top, it says "Car used in Company Service, prices for new car". I'm sure the "company service" means the Demo Program for the police.Click image for larger version

Name:	8072 Window Sticker Page 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1678453 Also, here's a picture of the special front seats that were put into each car, some cloth and some vinyl. Click image for larger version

Name:	7909 front seat engineering dept.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1678454

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

I neglected to post the second page, here it is......and also, on page one at the top it says "Car used in Company Service prices for new car" so the Service I take it is the Sales Demonstration Program for the Police Cars. Over the years I've seen much incorrect information, like for example that these cars were leased to police departments for one buck. I can't find any evidence of that. Here is also a photo of what the actual vinyl seat looked like once installed in engineering.Click image for larger version

Name:	8072 Window Sticker Page 1.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1678455Click image for larger version

Name:	7909 front seat engineering dept.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1678456

Comment

Originally posted by relbmar16 View Post
                            I neglected to post the second page, here it is......and also, on page one at the top it says "Car used in Company Service prices for new car" so the Service I take it is the Sales Demonstration Program for the Police Cars. Over the years I've seen much incorrect information, like for example that these cars were leased to police departments for one buck. I can't find any evidence of that. Here is also a photo of what the actual vinyl seat looked like once installed in engineering.[ATTACH=CONFIG]20149[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]20150[/ATTACH]
                            I would suspect it was Sherwood Egbert's idea to have these cars made as per #8: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=LAMBERTI

Craig

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7450 Incorrect Interior.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1678463Here are some interior seating photos....Kentucky Car and Kansas Car and the Maine car which is incorrect (Vinyl with horizontal pleating).

Name:	7909 Seat Installation in Engineering department.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1678464

Name:	7911 interior blue cloth and rollbar.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1678462Click image for larger version

Name:	7657 dash board.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1678461

Comment

WOW, what a great read! I had no idea that this concept or Idea came right from Mr. Egbert himself!!! It also looks like he was really pushing his people to get things done.....such a shame that he was cut short due to medical reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X