No announcement yet.

'40 Champion Pace Car item now w/photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday, April 11: We're now up to six days out of the last seven for the 1940 Champion to appear in The Indianapolis Star.

The ad was repeated in this morning's paper, but I did not see it in the Sunday, April 10 edition, which I thought was a bit suprising. 'Didn't spend a lot of time reading the Sunday Star, though, so it may have been slipped in elsewhere and I missed it.

But it is in the Monday, April 11, Indianapolis Star; now at least six days of the last seven! Cool beans! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
      I think I may have set a record for my car today on the bypass... 70.
      got mine up to 62 (no overdrive), but i think the speedo is off - i was passing everything on the highway...
      and yes, add about 100mph to that for what it felt like...
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
        Which car was this? If the Champion I'll bet it felt and sounded like you were going 170!
        Yes, it was the Champion. If it goes much faster I think I will need to get out my racing helmet...
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Update Tuesday, April 12, 2011: The subject advertisement ran again in this morning's Indianapolis Star. We are now up to seven days out of the last eight in which the 1940 Champion Pace Car has appeared in the contemporary Indianapolis Star...and counting! (I'm beginning to wonder how long it will run.) BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Update Thursday, April 14, 2011: Well, the presence of the 1940 Champion Pace Car in the current Indianapolis Star has now become so commonplace that I'm going to discontinue reporting it. It again appeared in this morning's paper, so we are up to 8 or 9 daily insertions among the last ten days; I've lost count.

Who would have thought that the 1940 Champion Pace Car would be receiving such frequent exposure in Indiana's largest daily newspaper 71 years after the 1940 Indianapolis 500 Mile Race? Cool beans! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

I believe they intend to keep running it until you buy a copy! Incidentally once you have read it and digested it I know someone who would provide it a good home. And, by the way, how many people viewing that ad do you think know the car is a Studebaker? My guess is one!
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I believe they intend to keep running it until you buy a copy! Incidentally once you have read it and digested it I know someone who would provide it a good home. And, by the way, how many people viewing that ad do you think know the car is a Studebaker? My guess is one!
                Great observation Richard. Most major media outlets, TV and print media, have disintegrated into suspect "tabloid" quality material that their credibility is hardly worth the value of a subscription. Couple that with the hordes of sub- literate graduates of our educational system, I would say that your conclusion about this subject reaching its target audience is remote.

Our local newspaper was once so packed with information, classifieds, and advertisements that I had to buy a bigger newspaper box to hold it. Now days, the paper is hardly noticeable in the box. If it were not for my wife being such a sports nut...I would drop the paper myself.

In recent years, I have had several "letters to the editor" published. I have had a couple of strangers and some of the local authorities (targets of the letters) seek me out for comment, but no one I know read the letters.

I am convinced that if you want to be noticed in todays world...you need to get in front of a camera while robbing your local 7 eleven store, knock out your front teeth and go "ketchin" gators in the Louisiana swamps, or risk your life on a Crab Boat in the arctic ocean.

Perhaps one day we will all wake up and find that we have been participating in a group nightmare. Could it be a dream where the major media moguls got drunk at a cocktail party and, as a prank, decided to fool the public ---hire a bunch of idiots from a car wash, dress 'em in suits and promote them 24/7...passing them off as Presidential and smart intellectuals? (Like the Eddie Murphy movie, "Trading Places"...google it)

Somebody pinch me! Surely...this can't be real!
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Au contraire, Sir Richard! I've long observed that Indiana's rich automotive history and, indeed, sustained culture, has spawned an uncommonly-large proportion of collector-vehicle-aware people. We have no way to measure it, of course, but I'll bet the actual percentage of Indianapolis Star Sports Page readers who could identify the car as being a Studebaker, perhaps not the model or year, would surprise both of us. It sure doesn't look like a 1940 Ford DeLuxe coupe... <GGG> BP
                  Last edited by BobPalma; 04-14-2011, 12:23 PM.

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Au contraire, Sir Richard! I've long observed that Indiana's rich automotive history and, indeed, sustained culture, has spawned an uncommonly-large proportion of collector-vehicle-aware people. We have no way to measure it, of course, but I'll bet the actual percentage of Indianapolis Star Sports Page readers who could identify the car as being a Studebaker, perhaps not the model or year, would surprise both of us. It sure doesn't look like a 1940 Ford DeLuxe coupe... <GGG> BP
                    OK, two, maybe three.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

OK, two, maybe three.
                      I admire a man of intellectual integrity, willing to admit his original estimate may have been 200 to 300 percent off.

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Like The Jeffersons on TV, we're "moving up."

The subject advertisement has been running pretty much every day, with the 1940 Champion Pace Car, in the Sports Section of the newspaper.

However, today (Wednesday, April 20), the advertisement was moved forward, out of the Sports Section, into the main, first section of the paper! 'Still more 1940 Champion Pace Car exposure, now to people who don't read the Sports Section as well. Cool beans. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Well, the book is out and there is good news and bad news.

Good News: They used that photo of the 1940 Champion Pace Car on the track, on the pages describing the 1940 race. They even didn't crop it so tightly, so the entire car almost appears in the book; just a little tweak off the left front headlamp.

Bad News: They misspelled Studebaker in the photo's caption: Studebacker!

Groan. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                          X