Hawk rear spring swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk rear spring swap

I have a 56 Hawk that has cracked leaves in both rear springs-do the 57 & newer Hawks use the same leaf springs? (I was told there is a difference). Also, has anyone swapped in a set of springs from something newer/easier to find as far availability is concerned?? Any ideas?

Any spring shop can make you a leaf for your existing spring.

Comment

57 is the same. 58 up are different. The main leaf is most expensive at $140 each but the others are relatively inexpensive. Depends on which ones are cracked.

Comment

Jim,
        Your profile doesn't indicate where you are at. If we knew, perhaps someone could recommend a spring shop in your area.
        If you were in central PA I would recommend Penn Public in Altoona. Charlie tells me he always keeps a set in stock for Studebakers.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I've got a set off a '56 Power Hawk in the shed here in Spokane. I'd make you a deal on them, but shipping may make it less expensive to have them made locally.

The early Studes use a symmetrical spring. Most of the cars you'll find in the Pik n Pull will have asymmetrical springs, longer in the rear section.

Is yours a restoration or a custom? If you want something really trick, I've got a set of fiberglass rear springs for the '53-57 C/Ks I'd let go for $395 + shipping.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
          X