• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheard...what's your story?

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

driving my '99 C5 Corvette to wally-world 2 years ago. a young (appeared mid-20's) walked by the car while i was getting out. the woman told the man, "Those things should be illegal... too fast - uses too much gas."

unknown if they were prius owners... and knew they wouldn't believe i got 29 mpg on the highway...

morons...
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post

One day, I was coming out of a Restaurant and observed two men standing in front of the truck. As I approached, I overheard one emphatically stating to the other, “Yep! They’re back in business. They’re making them in Mexico! I have a friend in Hawaii with one just like it!"

I drove away just shaking my head at the audacity and boldness some people have in pronouncing such foolishness.

I have been known to fabricate a story from time to time just for fun. This sounds like one of my fabrications. My wife no longer trusts me when I tell her stuff. I once had to go online to prove to her that Volkswagon actually made a vehicle called the "Thing".

Grandkids are my favorite target. They are so gullible. The problem with doing these kinds of shennanigans is that someone else might be listening and you don't have the opportunity to tell them you are just playing.
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

It all depends how I'd react to these misguided comments by people. For example, if someone comes up to my car and either asks a question about Studebaker or my Stude, I'll give them an honest answer. In that case, I do believe they really WANT to know. In cases where some wise guy tells someone else misinformation about my car or Studebaker, I'll try to correct him in a nice way. Most of the incorrect comments are about the engines and where Studes were built. Of course, some people will never be satisfied with anything you say. In those cases, I just walk away. Nothing is worth having a confrontation.
        Rog
        '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
        Smithtown,NY
        Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

We have a weekly car cruise/gathering at the local IHOP during the nice weather months. Many of the folks who stroll through the cars are not car people. I have had more than one person comment about the safety aspects of driving and riding in our vintage cars. At first it surprised me, but I have come to realize that this is a definite priority for some people. One couple in their early 30s was looking at my car on an evening when my grandkids had come along and I had car seats in the back seat. They sincerely asked about safety and I did point out my seat belts in back and 3 point seat belts in the front. They asked about air bags or anti lock brakes and I told them I had not gotten that sophisticated yet, though I do have disk brakes in front. The wife commented that she always thought it would be neat to have an old car but she would not feel safe riding in one. We talked about defensive driving and the limited miles traveled but I don't think she was convinced. I guess it could be compared to riding a motorcycle, there are some risks worth taking for the enjoyment realized.

Pat
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Well, our Chapter is hosting a Show 'N Shine this coming Sunday at a local restaurant in town, so I'll keep my ears open to determine if any "interesting" observations are made!
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander
            Zone Coordinator
            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
              driving my '99 C5 Corvette to wally-world 2 years ago. a young (appeared mid-20's) walked by the car while i was getting out. the woman told the man, "Those things should be illegal... too fast - uses too much gas."

unknown if they were prius owners... and knew they wouldn't believe i got 29 mpg on the highway...morons...
              Kerry: Among car hobbyists, the correct term is Pious owners, since they usually are, as you experienced!

(But we can't be too quick to judge all Pious owners as being that way. 'Friend of mine in church has a Prius/Pious -a green one to boot- and is a member of The National Rifle Association and an avid shooting sports participant / instructor and strong Second Amendment proponent! I kid him about having a National Rifle Association sticker on the back of a Prius/Pious and he just laughs, saying, "Yeah, I like to watch people try to figure that out!" <GGG>) BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I drove my Stude truck, 51 half ton, in high school (mid 80's) Guy I worked with at my after school job asked me one day, where did you get that thing on the back of your truck that says Studebaker? I thought for a second and said you mean the tailgate? Yea where did you get that? I said it came on the truck, you do realize it's a Studebaker truck. His reply; Scotty, another guy that worked with us, said it's a Chevy and you just put that on there to fool people. I showed him the front and side hood emblems that say Studebaker, along with the lazy S on the dash that matched the S on the tailgate and said look at those and tell me who do you believe me or Scotty. He said I don't know Scotty said it's a Chevy.......
                TDITS The Dude In The Stude

Comment

My wife and I drove my primered hot rod to Ocean City Maryland a couple of years ago. I was standing near the car when a couple walked by. The lady turned to her husband and said "that thing's JUNK!". I just laughed and told her we drove it 400 miles to get there, so it couldn't be too bad.
                  Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

I overheard a youngster (talking about me) saying: Yea , and that ole guy REALLY believes Studebaker made
                    their own vehicles.

Comment

More later, I threaten. But for just now, I'm going to have to [pridefully] admit that when girls say, “I would be afraid to ride in something that old!” and “Do you really think it’s legal to drive? I’m afraid I would be arrested!” they are not talking about my car.

Now, on the "too much gas" part, you fellows are on your own. I ain't a-goin there.

Comment

I took my new '51 Starlight to his first Swap Meet last Sunday, parked it in the display car area, and stuck an information sheet I'd printed out on the windscreen, (year, model, engine size etc). Just as I was about to walk to the swap area a guy who had started reading as I put it up said, ' saw the light eh, and put a Ford donk in it', (It has a '62 GT 289 in it). I thought, ' here we go'! I asked what he meant, 'the 289, a Ford V8'. I said. 'no, it's a Stude V8 out of a '62 Stude Hawk'. He said, 'yeah sure it is', in a very condesending tone. I asked him, are you a Ford guy, ' yeah, sure am'. It really is a Stude 289 I assured him, as I started to lift the hood, and asked him the location of the distributor on Ford V8's. He was about to answer when he obviously saw the engine, and just walked away. :-)
                        Matt
                        Brisbane
                        Australia
                        sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

At the upper Mississippi Valley zone meet last summer two "car guys" walked through the cars and one commented to the other, "boy Studebaker made some really ugly cars" To which I replied "so did the big three"

A second was on my latest vehicle. A 2009 Dodge Charger Hemi. This was from a guy I know fairly well. He said, "nice car, but I bet it's a gas hog" To which I replied "actually it does better than our old minivan and has LOTS more power" Then he said. "well it's still a crappy Chrysler product" No response from me...
                          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I think we should all make it a practice to point out to the Ford believers that Studebaker had 289s years before Ford did.

Pat
                            Pat Dilling
                            Olivehurst, CA
                            Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Back when my wife and I bought our Lark in 2006, we had just sold her 1999 Mazda Pickup and had the money saved from the sale for the purchase of a hobby car. We found the Lark, and when we went around showing pictures of what my wifes truck "turned into" I remember one guy that my wife used to nanny for said:

"Why would you waste you money on a peice of junk like that? Why not put a down payment on a new car that is actually reliable?" Yeah, he said it right to my face. My wife just said "well, we think the older cars were built to a higher standard than the plastic and pop can cars of today." (yeah, good woman!) His saying that made my blood boil, but the same guy also told us when we showed him the house we had bought that was built in 1900 with hardwood floors, and original woodwork, and how well preserved it was, all he could say was "yeah, once you guys get some money on this thing you can tear it down and build a real house on this land." Grr..... >

Needless to say we don't talk to him much these days...neither does his now ex wife...

Comment

Working...
                              X