Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmyg
    replied
    Thanks for the updates, I got a lot of information, (verbal & printed )from Tom Crouch...

when I got the car from him, I have several copies of the drawn art of the car (an excellent rendering of the car, I knew the interior had been redone, it still looks georgous except for the carpet which is easily resolved. I didn't know much about the bodywork history other than 30 years later it needs a major re-do. I'm just getting back on it now that I got it out of winter storage . I hope my wife & I can make the Crouch'es proud aagain when we get the car redone, I'm seriously hoping/planning for a good cruiser that I could go a thousand miles on a trip & not have to worry about anything.I still have the plaque they had made that showed it to be the last surviving FlightHawk hardtop acknowledged by the SDC at the time they had it. We're going to keep the outside stock & just modernize the drivetrain so that we keep a foot on each side of the hotrodders/restoration fence. I found one little polaroid photo showing it the original colors. We're going with it being black again, because I think it's my favorite color for working with the body lines of the car jimmyyg, your hawk was well-enjoyed by Tom's parents, Oscar and Bernice. They spent about $3,000.00 mid-1980's dollars on a spectacular interior restoration, the changed it from a red and white two-tone to all black. They drove it from their home in Strathroy, Ontario to Steinbach, Manitoba one summer to a Buffalo Chapter SDC meet. That's a 40-some hour round trip, at least! What did you say about "more reliable" with a Caddy V8? Try to top that!

The frame was quite rusty for a long time and they had someone in London, Ontario, IIRC, "knit" a new frame for it. The car's bodywork is a little shakey, as you know, but she is a rare piece. I had a ride in it back in 1978 when the guy I bought my Power Hawk from also owned your car. I turned it down and bought the PH because of the frame rust on the FH back then!!

There exists a drawing of your car, well-executed by a very good artist and Ontario SDC member. It was featured in our "Studebanner" newsletter in the '80's - and the drawing was also in a subsequent issue of Turning Wheels that featured Studebaker artwork.

I think we called it the last North American survivor because there were no other roster listings showing an identifiable FH hardtop at the time.

Glad someone has bought it and is doing something with it.[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
    Like this one? this is a sky hawk 289 , 4 bldt, duel exhaust and 3 speed over.

Yes, that's what it looked like originally as far as the color combination.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• STEWDI
    replied
    jimmyyg, your hawk was well-enjoyed by Tom's parents, Oscar and Bernice. They spent about $3,000.00 mid-1980's dollars on a spectacular interior restoration, the changed it from a red and white two-tone to all black. They drove it from their home in Strathroy, Ontario to Steinbach, Manitoba one summer to a Buffalo Chapter SDC meet. That's a 40-some hour round trip, at least! What did you say about "more reliable" with a Caddy V8? Try to top that!

The frame was quite rusty for a long time and they had someone in London, Ontario, IIRC, "knit" a new frame for it. The car's bodywork is a little shakey, as you know, but she is a rare piece. I had a ride in it back in 1978 when the guy I bought my Power Hawk from also owned your car. I turned it down and bought the PH because of the frame rust on the FH back then!!

There exists a drawing of your car, well-executed by a very good artist and Ontario SDC member. It was featured in our "Studebanner" newsletter in the '80's - and the drawing was also in a subsequent issue of Turning Wheels that featured Studebaker artwork.

I think we called it the last North American survivor because there were no other roster listings showing an identifiable FH hardtop at the time.

Glad someone has bought it and is doing something with it.
    Last edited by STEWDI; 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jimmyg
    replied
    Studillac photos

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Sure! Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of it. Thanks.

Craig
    I think I need to get an email address from you because that's the only way I know how to transfer the pix to you

Leave a comment:

• jimmyg
    replied
    if its a 56G-K7 on the cowl tag on the passenger side, then i's a Flight Hawk hardtop like ours!

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    to jimmy g,---- I believe there is a rough '56 Flight Hawk Hardtop (K) in an auto graveyard in Standish, Maine. A Friend of Mine who lives in nearby Naples sent Me a photo of it. I'm going to check it out when I go back up there, (or DOWN there
    as they say), this May. From the side-view picture, I thought for sure it was a President Sky Hawk, but He said there was a six cylinder engine under the hood. Didn't remember deck lid details or eyeball body tag.
    Keep me posted on what you find out, always fun to know of another!

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    Originally posted by klifton1 View Post
    Bob
    Is that Sky Hawk as clean as it looks in the photo ?
    Klif
    Yes it is, but does have some rust problems, biggest is one corner in the trunk at the body support, and a little under at some of of side body wing supports, never seen any with the problem at these places, Interior is original and nice.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Then you must remember this one from the 2010 Pacific Can-Am Zone Meet:

Craig

Leave a comment:

• woodysrods
    replied
    Boy! That is a pretty little thing.
    Restorers delight.
    Maybe I just love C/K's but they just look great to me restored or rodded!
    Good Roads
    Brian

Leave a comment:

• klifton1
    replied
    Bob
    Is that Sky Hawk as clean as it looks in the photo ?
    Klif

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    to jimmy g,---- I believe there is a rough '56 Flight Hawk Hardtop (K) in an auto graveyard in Standish, Maine. A Friend of Mine who lives in nearby Naples sent Me a photo of it. I'm going to check it out when I go back up there, (or DOWN there
    as they say), this May. From the side-view picture, I thought for sure it was a President Sky Hawk, but He said there was a six cylinder engine under the hood. Didn't remember deck lid details or eyeball body tag.

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    This car was originally Snowcap White/Sunglow Gold. The roof should be the same color as the hood & trunk to be authentic. The son of the older couple that restored it is now the owner of it, and is keeping it as a memory of his late parents. I don't believe he is truly an 'old car' person, but still intends to drive it in parades and other local events.

Craig
    Like this one? this is a sky hawk 289 , 4 bldt, duel exhaust and 3 speed over.

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Sorry, Ralphs is a post, I know very little (and did not recall) about 6 cyl Hawks. It is a fine job, one i'll never forget seeing!

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by (S) View Post
    Craig, There was that awesome baby blue one at our zone meet a few years back, they let it drive into the banquet and on stage for 'best of show"
    Yes: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=novarra

Craig

Leave a comment:

• (S)
    replied
    Craig, There was that awesome baby blue one at our zone meet a few years back, they let it drive into the banquet and on stage for 'best of show"

Not sure if it was a hamilton car, but it was a 6cyl, and an awesome job, Got any pictures of that one?

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Sure! Wouldn't mind seeing a photo of it. Thanks.

Craig

Leave a comment:

Working...
X